January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

We might do a similar deal to Sanson if we can pick up a bargain in Jan with an eye on integrating them for next season. Any bad injuries aside though I reckon the Jan window will be quiet for us. 

Hopefully though we might get 2 or 3 of the current loanees coming into the first team squad next summer, which squeezes spaces even more. KKH as Cash’s No 2, Barry to understudy Watkins and Raikhy to replace Marv are all possible if they do well enough this season to progress. 

There’s so much talent coming through (and most of the squad is decent already) that new signings from here on will be minimal but very high quality, imo. 

11 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I doubt it too but I wouldn't rule it out. Also, I am not suggesting replacing him with a 'name' I am suggesting replacing him with a younger, better player with more potential.

If we bought in a younger better player with more potential we'd sell Hause, not Mings.

These aren't the Deadly or Randy Learner years - we're adding quality and then letting the least capable go rather than trying to swap one very good player with one who might be very very good but also might take time to settle, get injured, or be the next Daniel Crowley.

16 hours ago, NeilS said:

I wouldn't totally be against Mings staying here for the remainder of his career if he stays fit and offers good form in return

The likelihood of that decreases as he gets each year older. He is on a very high salary and I would not like to see him lose his place in the 1st XI and become a very expensive sub. We have done that way too many times in the past. We need to be smart and sell players while they still have value and replace them with better players. It is a lot of pressure on Lange to get it right but it is the better strategy to follow

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He is also absolutely garbage and not fit to lace Tyrone's boots. Assna have had their pants pulled down

If White is Garbage and Arsenal got their pants pulled down than that means he is not worth 50m so it wouldn't make sense to value Mings at 60m/70m based on White's sale price.

I do think White is a good player though. He was excellent at Leeds and he had a very good season for Brighton last season. Poor start for Arsenal but he has been sick. He will be a good CB for them imo

7 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

If we bought in a younger better player with more potential we'd sell Hause, not Mings.

Hause doesn't have the transfer value to make a sale attractive. Mings would have the value and his value will only reduce with each transfer window. Mings is the one to sell.

Our youth players should be replacing Hause in the squad

• Confused 1

I agree that Mings is at top-dollar value atm (or near it) and, like all of us, isn’t getting any younger.

However, his value as a lynchpin for the team is greater than any transfer fee we would likely recoup for him. We went into the relegation season devoid of a real spine after Vlaar’s departure. While we have a much better recruitment set up now, I don’t think you can so easily replace that leadership.

Im trying not to be sentimental here (it’s hard because I f-cking love Mings): we’ve all seen where sentiment gets us. Nevertheless, Mings has real leadership attributes that I think are worth more to Villa than a decent-ish transfer fee would reflect. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Hause doesn't have the transfer value to make a sale attractive. Mings would have the value and his value will only reduce with each transfer window. Mings is the one to sell.

Our youth players should be replacing Hause in the squad

I just don’t understand why this is even a conversation in the January thread and to be honest why it’s a conversation at all at the moment.  He’s in his peak, just become our captain, an England player and our leader he’s not going anywhere for at least a couple of seasons if even then.  There are plenty of players likely to leave before him.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

However, his value as a lynchpin for the team is greater than any transfer fee we would likely recoup for him. We went into the relegation season devoid of a real spine after Vlaar’s departure. While we have a much better recruitment set up now, I don’t think you can so easily replace that leadership.

But we are going to face the problem of losing Mings at some stage and we will have to replace the qualities we lose. Why wait to replace those qualities until Mings has no transfer value when we could do it while Mings still has value. If we don't have confidence in our recruitment team to replace Mings then we have the wrong recruitment team. 

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But we are going to face the problem of losing Mings at some stage and we will have to replace the qualities we lose. Why wait to replace those qualities until Mings has no transfer value when we could do it while Mings still has value. If we don't have confidence in our recruitment team to replace Mings then we have the wrong recruitment team. 

I'll just add one thing to this discussion.

The price villa fans would want for someone like Mings would get laughed at if offered to any other club. If we do decide to try and make money off of Mings, I hope the decision makers don't hold those same expectations

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Look at our upwards trajectory

Exactly, we are on an upward trajectory. This trajectory is linked with improving our squad. We have had 49 new players arrive at Villa and 51 players leave Villa in the last 3 years. We need to constantly improve our squad and not rest on our laurels. If we start to think we can't improve of Mings for the next 3 or 4 years we are taking a step backwards

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And even then "replacing him" would actually be selling Hause, sending axel back and then buying a 1st choice CB demoting mings to 3rd choice 

Hause does not have a significant transfer value, the financial benefit of selling Hause is not as compelling. We shouldn't be looking to put expensive older players as 3rd choice. We should move them on while they have value and replace them with better players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mings is the 3rd best English centre back in the national team pecking order. He played in the defence with the 2nd highest clean sheets last season 

Who realistically can we get thats better than him? 

Konsa? for me he is better than Mings... reason is - he is play along him 2nd Highest Clean Sheets and better stats better no one past him which mings and he is our player 😉

But.. Still Mings is England "Best" left foot Centre half ahead all of Left Centre Half play for England he is should've start for balance reason. he is ahead Maguire in clean sheet term 😉 behind Walker and Stone as they are play for man city.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Danny_Villaman84 said:

Konsa? for me he is better than Mings... reason is - he is play along him 2nd Highest Clean Sheets and better stats better no one past him which mings But.. Still Mings is England "Best" left foot Centre half ahead all of Left Centre Half play for England he is should've start for balance reason. he is ahead Maguire in clean sheet term 😉 behind Walker as he play for man city.

But we already have Konsa 🙂 i mean who can we transfer in thats better than Mings

Pointless discussion for January transfer window 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mings is the 3rd best English centre back in the national team pecking order. He played in the defence with the 2nd highest clean sheets last season 

Who realistically can we get thats better than him? 

thats what i meant about trajectory 

with where we are right now we wont get better than him or really need to get better than him, give it 3 years maybe 4 and we do get to europe then the replacing of mings due to his age coincides with us being able to attract a better quality of player

take romero from spurs for example, regardless of whether or not he's better he was £55m and from a CL team, he's not coming to us but hopefully by the time mings does need replacing that type of player will come to us

this whole discussion is daft 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

But we already have Konsa 🙂 i mean who can we transfer in thats better than Mings

Pointless discussion for January transfer window 

OH sorry as i thought i in the Mings threads :S my fault 

yeh we have Konsa and Mings, Axel, Hause - we don't need look for or make replacement for them as they are way very good squad and shift rotations so pointless to look for replacement - but Hause was potential to left for regular if we in Europe he could stay and play rotate and i would more happy trust him as 2nd choice left foot centre half - as he is maybe 4th best English left foot centre half behind Jack O'Connell and Mings, Mee (Dirty Player), maybe Hause. 

Jack O'Connell one should call up along Mings to play left foot centre half as i think he is very good ball centre half. if Mings left i would happy Get Jack O'Connell but i not sure if he able play 4 backline he is often play 3 or 5 men backline as Mings can play 4 or 3 or 5 backline.

41 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Exactly, we are on an upward trajectory. This trajectory is linked with improving our squad. We have had 49 new players arrive at Villa and 51 players leave Villa in the last 3 years. We need to constantly improve our squad and not rest on our laurels. If we start to think we can't improve of Mings for the next 3 or 4 years we are taking a step backwards

Hause does not have a significant transfer value, the financial benefit of selling Hause is not as compelling. We shouldn't be looking to put expensive older players as 3rd choice. We should move them on while they have value and replace them with better players.

Understand your point. This is something we're probably going to have to get used to doing, but there's pillars of the team you can't do it with. I think Mings is probably one of them right now, maybe he won't be by May 2022.

If you do move these players on, you have to be handsomely rewarded with the fee, and I don't think we'd get a high enough fee for the disturbance it would cause to the XI.

I don't think anyone would pay £40m for Mings and that's the minimum I'd want to lose him, despite his shortcomings.

• Like 1

I'd like to see us strengthen our central midfield and full backs.

Cash and Targett need better competition and aren't getting it currently (Young is ok but getting on and won't be here for more than a year or 2 tops).

I like Cash and Targett but when comparing our FBs against other top 10 teams, let alone top 6 teams, I don't think they are at a good enough level especially offensively. 

We should have strengthened the middle in the summer, we didn't. If things are not going well by January (i.e. we're in the bottom half) then I would expect a big signing there to come in.

I'd also like to see more competition at CB in the coming years but that can probably wait another year at least. 

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

take romero from spurs for example, regardless of whether or not he's better he was £55m and from a CL team, he's not coming to us but hopefully by the time mings does need replacing that type of player will come to us

Why would he not come to us? If we sold Mings for 20m/25m we could add 25m/30m to that making him much more affordable.