Pre-match thread

ender4

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

so chelsea are missing lukaku kante havertz pulisic james and silva for saturday

we are missing Both  emi's and konsa and possibly bailey.

I suppose anything can happen but i fancy our chances on saturday with a sneaky 2-1 villa win

I'm going to wait until I see the team sheets before I start getting excited about their missing players.  I've seen quite a few miraculous comebacks from opposition players in time for Villa games over the years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

so chelsea are missing lukaku kante havertz pulisic james and silva for saturday

So judging by this I make that as 2 players missing for Chelsea. Also, I didn't realise James had such an extraordinary name!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

I'm going to wait until I see the team sheets before I start getting excited about their missing players.  I've seen quite a few miraculous comebacks from opposition players in time for Villa games over the years.

I remember before the 7-2 game, Mane was named in the starting XI despite contracting covid like 3 days earlier. It was a mistake, but it was funny because I wasn't even surprised. Of course the rest is history, but I was dreading the game pre-match.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Hope we can see him against Chelsea. A sneaky start even. A front 3 of AEG - Ings - Bailey isn't so bad considering we have so many injuries. A sign of just how much we've strengthened this year.

Has Ollie been pictured in training? If he's fit I honestly think he'll start as we'll need some decent pressing from both wide positions although AEG did score home and away v Chelsea last season of course so will likely start in one wide role.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I thought Ollie was injured, but you're right. Though I think Anwar deserves to keep his place after his last 2 showings.

That's what AEG needs, last time he did really well and got dropped it rocked his confidence, need to keep him rolling till everyone fully fit.

• Like 1

Think we need a formation change without Buendia. We need a stronger presence in midfield and have Watkins and Ings play up top with one of those two dropping in midfield to support midfield. I think possibly a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 will be what we go with. If we use Watkins as a pressure player and we all know what he did to Chelsea last season. 

Do think there is merit in the idea of matching them up formation-wise to limit the overloading their wing backs so often do (James missing is a huge boost in this sense). Villa were lucky not to be punished more for how much joy Chelsea were getting down the sides at the back end of last season and they absolutely killed Arsenal with it a few weeks ago for both goals. Something like:

Steer, Cash, Tuanzebe, Konsa, Mings, Targett/Young, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey, Ings, Watkins/El Ghazi

...might not be the worst thing in the world, although if Watkins is fit I can see this 4-4-1-1 set-up becoming the norm starting from this weekend.