Pre-match thread

ender4

Team news actually sounds fairly positive for a change apart from the 2 Argentinians missing. 

Bailey at "full fitness" does actually indicate he may start, I certainly hope so. Ollie news sounds encouraging too. Bert has trained so hopefully he'll be in the squad too.

Certainly don't want to see Young as a no10. Either he's at LB or on the bench for me. 

I'll enjoy the game a lot more tomorrow if we can put out a strong side, I think we'll at least compete with them. 

• Like 1

As a prediction, and assuming Konsa is out, I expect 4-3-3:

Steer

Cash Axel Mings Young

Dougie Ramsey McGinn

Bailey Ings Ghaza

I would start Watkins instead of Ghaza even if he's not fully fit, but I don't think that's what Deano will do. I'd rather get off to a solid start and Ollie's pressing would help. If he can't make it the full 90, you can make a tactical substitution based on the game situation. If you need a goal, bring on Ghaza or Chuk or (if available) Traore (switching Bailey to the other wing). If you're protecting a lead, bring on another defender (maybe Targett and push Young into midfield to play 4-4-2).

1 hour ago, TomC said:

As a prediction, and assuming Konsa is out, I expect 4-3-3:

Steer

Cash Axel Mings Young

Dougie Ramsey McGinn

Bailey Ings Ghaza

I would start Watkins instead of Ghaza even if he's not fully fit, but I don't think that's what Deano will do. I'd rather get off to a solid start and Ollie's pressing would help. If he can't make it the full 90, you can make a tactical substitution based on the game situation. If you need a goal, bring on Ghaza or Chuk or (if available) Traore (switching Bailey to the other wing). If you're protecting a lead, bring on another defender (maybe Targett and push Young into midfield to play 4-4-2).

looking at the training video bailey, watkins and traore all looked pretty sharp so not sure which combo he'll go for. nice to be in a position where we can't predict the line up though!

marv might come in too

Martinez will be a miss but if we have Bailey and Watkins available then Buendia isn’t that big a miss imo. We will most likely counter attack and Buendia isn’t the fastest so it might not actually be a bad thing him missing this game.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2021 at 08:07, villa89 said:

I would go:

----------------------------- Steer ----------------------------

Cash----- Konsa --Hause -- Axel ---- Mings ---Targett--------

SJM---         Dougie ---------- Ash

------------------------------Davis

Full Steve Bruce mode and try to shithouse a 0-0 win. 

Swap Davis and Steer's positions and we'd be more likely to nick a goal!

47 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Villa win is 10-1. That is unbelievable. I don’t think we will win but the odds of us doing so have got to be better than that surely!

I’ve seen it as high as 12-1 today and think that price is still available. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea probably that top 4 team that I am the least scared of. 

Yeah tuchel created a winning culture but they rarely are blowing teams away. 

Not blowing teams away, just beating them.

Edited by briny_ear

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

**** it… I’m going 1-2 Villa! Ings to score both! UTV

That's the spirit, Alan! (Not actually the real Alan). And at the end of the day we're still top of the badge animal table. Their fancy blue lion may look pretty but it's not quite as tough as a real life yellow lion. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robby b said:

That's the spirit, Alan! (Not actually the real Alan). And at the end of the day we're still top of the badge animal table. Their fancy blue lion may look pretty but it's not quite as tough as a real life yellow lion. 

Their rubbish blue one is looking the wrong way too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Tough one, but oddly im feeling optimistic. This fixture seems to be one which we don't do nearly as badly as we did a decade or so ago, and we have gotten a few surprising and impressive results against them recently.

Against Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and even now Spurs it seems we're capable of springing a surprise sometimes. It's the two Manchester clubs which are always nailed on defeats. Detest that city.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1