Aaron Danks (coach)

HalfTimePost

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

His post-match interview is such a breath of fresh air it’s unbelievable. I think he should be in the running for the job after such a turnaround and if our top targets (Poch and co.) won’t make up their minds I’d be happy for Danks to continue until the WC at the very least. What an impact. He seemed to have a great connection with some of the players which was a nice surprise.

Well let’s see how he copes with Newcastle who are in great form and then we play our nemesis Man Utd twice. 

We could easily have 3 losses from those 3 games!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

He looked so tired and he said that he was physically tired on the post match interview.  Is that just from this game or has he spent the last 48 hours coaching continuously through the night?

Yep. Bill Murray in Stripes moment.

I understand the players woke up around noon at Bodymoor and ran over to Villa Park just in time for kickoff.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Yep. Bill Murray in Stripes moment.

I understand the players woke up around noon at Bodymoor and ran over to Villa Park just in time for kickoff.

Boom-chakka-chakka-chakka! Boom-chakka-chakka-chakka! Boom-chakka-chakka-chakka-Boom!

55 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well let’s see how he copes with Newcastle who are in great form and then we play our nemesis Man Utd twice. 

We could easily have 3 losses from those 3 games!

No doubt. Man United have belief again, unfortunately for us. And Newcastle is playing a blitzkrieg 4-3-3 counterattack, and I don't see us breaking through their midfield like we did with Brentford. I see at best a Man City-style draw with Newcastle, but maybe some more goals? It will be interesting to see what happens. Baptism by fire now ... 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

I was impressed that. He was calm and professional after we scored and that he RAN to the locker room at half time.   

he needed to bench SJM.but then to bring him on was great player (and team) management.   He also gives the club some breathing room in negotiations with the next manager. 

I am very impressed

• Like 1

I think the idea that he did what everyone was thinking is underplaying the sum of his decisions.

McGinn and Ramsey benched? Sure, pretty popular.

Same with Buendia in.

Dendonker and Doug? Fairly popular.

Watkins on the right and Bailey on the left? I didn't see many advocating for that.

Ings instead of say, Archer? Maybe people were guided by frustration, but wouldn't say it was unanimous on VT.

Maybe each one had between 60% and 90% support, but anyone who's ever placed an accumulator knows that the more "likely" choices you have to make, the more tricky it is.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Pep, but at the other end of the scale his lineup today wasn't obvious to everyone. It certainly wasn't to me anyway.

Credit to him.

That said, lose the next three and it's cabbage time, Danks for nothing, etc.

• Like 4

Just now got around to watching his post-match interview. If only more managers were a little more humble and sensible, perhaps they'd keep their jobs a tad longer too... Kind of also proves football doesn't always have to be so goddam complicated. Play to the strength of the players and they'll most probably perform for you. Aaron will likely not be a long term solution, but I have no problem whatsoever, should he have to oversee the position for a few more matches. 

Also **** off Gerrard. 

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

A good coach..but a manager. Absolutely not. You could see his stress levels on the touchline . It would kill the man off. Let him do the job he is experienced at and loves. 

Plenty of top managers are live wires on the touchline. Conte, Pep, Klopp, Arteta.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Did he really make a lot of changes...he made 2 sensible changes that the fan base could see but the previous moron was stubborn to implement

Edit: should say I was wrong he started Watkins as thought Ramsey should start but sensibly he put Bailey and Watkins on the right side

That’s the beauty of it. Not only does it improve the side locally by dropping a couple of poor performers who still managed to get a lot of game time, it also sends a message to everyone else that they need to play well to keep their place. 

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's funny, I've never paid any attention to basketball outside of school PE lessons and always assumed it was a super simple, basic game. But any time I catch any references to it on TV it always seems layered with levels of complex technical discussion that literally sound like the nonsense that I wrote above.

Football isn't like that, but it feels like it's heading that way. 

I dunno, taken out of context talk about double pivots and invented wing backs do kinda sound like someone’s trying to get a bird to do acrobatics or something.

• Like 1

Danks gets to manage us for Newcastle before the change over.  100% support from me for both of them.   UTV  

it will be a different challenge as most Newcastle goals come from their midfield rather than forward.  the dual pivot can work will marking late runners while putting a bit more pressure higher up the pitch.  I wouldn't change the formation for this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did we have any performances under Gerrard as good as one under Danks?

Don't think so. Leeds away maybe.

Southampton at home closest for me but not as good.

Edit: last season

Edited by VillaAlex

Â