Caleb Chukwuemeka

MaVilla

• 1 month later...

After his loan, easy to forget how good he was in the first half of the season for our U23s, seven goals, and five assists in nine appearances, and also another three assists in three games for the U21s in the EFL Trophy against first team opposition. Ideally I think we would have liked to send him to the championship next season, his time with Livingston might have had negative impact on how he's regarded, but I think he could be smart pick up for perhaps a newly promoted team from League One, one that plays a style of football that will suit him, and uses him in the right way.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 15:18, useless said:

“I ask the players to do the dirty side of the game and that’s what Caleb needs to work on.

“I’m putting a lot of demands on him because I want him playing well for Livingston and going back to Aston Villa as a better football player.

“Ability is not in question, he’s absolutely frightening, if a little bit raw.

“Marvin (Bartley, Livi assistant manager) had spoken to John McGinn and I’d spoken to Steven Gerrard about him. When you’re getting glowing feedback from people of that stature, you listen.

“He’s got all the raw attributes and I do believe we’ll get the best out of him but he’s unfortunately learning the hard way just now.

“Maybe I need to take a portion of the blame for Saturday. In hindsight, did I have to put him on? Probably not.

“But then in my defence, I wasn’t wanting him to go on and bully the full-backs.

“I was just wanting endeavour and work-rate and that was missing – I think that was plain to see.

“You had Omeonga, Pittman, and Holt trying to shut down full-backs then having to drop back in to midfield when we were down to 10 men.

“When he came up, he was to be a no.9. That’s what Aston Villa want him to be and that’s what I was signing but I’ve had lots of conversations with Caleb and he probably sees himself more as a wide player.

“So straight away the profile changes. I was sitting on the bench and I put him on because Joel Nouble wasn’t available.

“Bruce Anderson has played a lot of football and it’s always on the back of my mind that he’s diabetic and maybe his energy levels drop a wee bit quicker and impact him more than others so I needed a no.9.

“That’s why Caleb went on the park and it didn’t work out but I believe he will show his capabilities at this football club.”

Footballscotland

Its always a worry when centre forwards elect to go out wide.....its almost a tactic to avoid the cut an thrust of the job.

Endeavour and workrate.....are attributes that some dismiss too easily and just accept as a given for a pro footballer.

If he can't muster the latent attributes of the job....He will find playing in the Prem a bridge too far.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 16:34, NeilS said:

I think there are better ways of getting that across than publicly humiliating a young lad. That is the ultimate embarrassment a sub being subbed, let alone it being after a few minutes on the pitch. 7 minutes at the end of a game is pretty insulting for anyone. That is worse than George Weah’s cousin managed.

Onto this perception of bad attitude, If his attitude is bad, you would have thought it’s been noticed at BMH already. I think the manager is expecting a big strong brute who is going to throw himself about up front ala Duncan Ferguson, that is not Caleb’s game. I don’t think the manager has done his homework here.

Totally agree. Do this behind closed doors and demand that he shows that he wants to be there. Subbing him off like that feels to me like it was planned to show him up. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

After his loan, easy to forget how good he was in the first half of the season for our U23s, seven goals, and five assists in nine appearances, and also another three assists in three games for the U21s in the EFL Trophy against first team opposition. Ideally I think we would have liked to send him to the championship next season, his time with Livingston might have had negative impact on how he's regarded, but I think he could be smart pick up for perhaps a newly promoted team from League One, one that plays a style of football that will suit him, and uses him in the right way.

I am no expert on U23's football, but for me it always looks a bit passive......and I can understand why.

That's an observation, not a criticisim.

I understand the rudiments of developing their technical game.....but that alone won't be sufficient in the arduous league of the Prem.....We send them out on loan for a reason to fine tune the contact side of the game, which is central to survival in the top league.

I am always sceptical of listening to how "Good" a player is ( which is usually in reference to his technical ability) when the combative side is ignored or dismissed......as an example how much stick does Salah and Mane take, but who mentions that?

Still feel he never got a chance at Livingston and in hindsight was the wrong loan move for him at this stage of his career. 

When I watched Livi up here, it also didn't help in the limited game time he did get that, Martindale played him out of position. ( although Martindale claims Caleb wanted to play wide despite Villa wanting him to be a number 9?????) With more game time in his proper position I believe he would have got used to the physical aspect of it and done well. Our best player over the last few years till he was sold in January was Martin Boyle who took a year to learn to deal with this physicality but then did a tremendous job for Hibs and he was a lot smaller than Caleb. Feel sorry for the lad but hopefully will find a better club to showcase his talents next year if he goes out on loan again, if still under contract at Villa.  Good luck to him.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

Started today and subbed off after 63 minutes.

Possibly one to move on this summer?

Lolz, if Harry Kane could have been sold 4 times over for all the terrible loans he had

closer to home - Gabby also tanked on loan

Louie was dire at Ipswich, glorious at Swindon

Archer did very little in his loan last season, yet is on fire this season

Not saying Caleb will make it for us or anyone in this league, but i'd probably say he should get another loan before he gets written off.

• Like 3

Since the Livi game v St Mirren didn't mean that much, Martindale gave Caleb his first start in the SPL probably to see what he could do from the off. Couple of nice touches and unlucky with a header going wide although he probably should have done better. By the 63rd minute, Martindale had seen enough and replaced him with the American, Soto...........another loan signing, this time from Norwich City.

Martindale is obviously running the rule over the loans to see if there are any he might like to negotiate in order to keep..........I don't think Caleb will be on his "to keep" list, which will probably suit them both!

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Thanks 1

On 11/05/2022 at 22:29, daggy_333 said:

Started today and subbed off after 63 minutes.

Possibly one to move on this summer?

I think he will be moved on if his brother leaves

• Like 1

There's no way he will be moved on this summer, we aren't going to give up on a player just because one loan hasn't worked out, he was by far one of the standout performers at the start of the season at U23 level, a player that looked as promising as he did won't be just cast away.

Seven goals, and five assists in nine appearances, for the U23s and also another three assists in three games for the U21s against first team opposition in the EFL Trophy.

To be honest first half of the season he looked up there with some of our very best at U23 players from the last few seasons, I was thinking if he doesn't go out on loan in the second half of the season he might have a chance of sneaking into the first team squad.

Even if he doesn't ultimately make it with us, I think he's someone who we will feel can be developed and sold on for a decent fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good to see him get off to a good start in pre-season, four goals in about 90 minutes of football over two games, against inferior oppositon of course, but will do him some good to get some confidence back before potentially heading out on loan again.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â