Caleb Chukwuemeka

MaVilla

Apart from when they play each other, both the uglies have their away games televised and not the run of the mill home games. Therefore tomorrow, Hearts v Celtic will be the choice.

Livingston play us on Saturday at Easter Road so will watch Caleb closely ( more than I normally watch the opposition players lol)  and report back on the game he has. With us in transition he may well find more space than normal in the attacking third.

I was interested to read that he was taken off at half time, in his last game.

Now that could be for a combination of reasons, but one reason mooted, was lack of Aggression....and the manager seen it as a training need.

Now, I see natural aggression as a central part of a top class player, irrespective of the position he plays.....we had another young 19 year old striker from Dundee utd, in the past and he had it in bucket loads, probably his main feature...and that ended well.

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was interested to read that he was taken off at half time, in his last game.

Now that could be for a combination of reasons, but one reason mooted, was lack of Aggression....and the manager seen it as a training need.

Now, I see natural aggression as a central part of a top class player, irrespective of the position he plays.....we had another young 19 year old striker from Dundee utd, in the past and he had it in bucket loads, probably his main feature...and that ended well.

Caleb seems to be naturally strong but relatively calm and dominant rather than aggressive. It's something that doesn't work in the traditional big mans' favour anymore either as refs seem to give free kicks against them a lot more easily these days (I say these days, happened all the time to Carew 10 years ago) for demonstrating strength. It's a very basic line of thinking from the Livingstone coach IMO. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Caleb seems to be naturally strong but relatively calm and dominant rather than aggressive. It's something that doesn't work in the traditional big mans' favour anymore either as refs seem to give free kicks against them a lot more easily these days (I say these days, happened all the time to Carew 10 years ago) for demonstrating strength. It's a very basic line of thinking from the Livingstone coach IMO. 

Aggression doesn’t necessarily mean wrestling with someone.  Look at Buendia.

I guess like with most things, it’s important to have certain skills in your locker, and then to use these skills appropriately and the right time. This is what would make a player stand out from the rest.

Look at Lukaku at someone who has learned how to use his size to his own considerable advantage.  Our players were just bouncing off him.  If Caleb comes back with just this one new skill, his loan would have been a success.

Maybe if AEG had had a loan spell somewhere like this as a youngster, he’d be significantly better off for it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thug said:

Aggression doesn’t necessarily mean wrestling with someone.  Look at Buendia.

I guess like with most things, it’s important to have certain skills in your locker, and then to use these skills appropriately and the right time. This is what would make a player stand out from the rest.

Look at Lukaku at someone who has learned how to use his size to his own considerable advantage.  Our players were just bouncing off him.  If Caleb comes back with just this one new skill, his loan would have been a success.

Maybe if AEG had had a loan spell somewhere like this as a youngster, he’d be significantly better off for it?

But Buendia isn't the size of Caleb, so can get away with it a lot more. Lukaku isn't an aggressive player either IMO, he's calm and dominant rather than aggressive, which is what I was talking about in my earlier post.

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

But Buendia isn't the size of Caleb, so can get away with it a lot more. Lukaku isn't an aggressive player either IMO, he's calm and dominant rather than aggressive, which is what I was talking about in my earlier post.

I think it depends on the context...It doesn't always mean throwing your weight about....It can mean being ascertive with your work, in making things happen, as opposed to waiting for them to happen.....that was my intended meaning.

Vardy is an example, too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it depends on the context...It doesn't always mean throwing your weight about....It can mean being ascertive with your work, in making things happen, as opposed to waiting for them to happen.....that was my intended meaning.

Vardy is an example, too.

So you meant assertive, then? 

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That's why we have dictionaries and thousands of words to choose from to articulate what we mean as precisely as possible.

You do realise that words often have several definitions and meanings… right? Even different dictionaries have different definitions.

For example… 

the Cambridge dictionary holds TWO meanings for aggressive

aggressive adjective (ANGRY)

B2
behaving in an angry and violent way towards another person: 
The stereotype is that men tend to be more aggressive than women.
If I criticize him, he gets aggressive and starts shouting.

Or

aggressive adjective (DETERMINED)

C1
determined to win or succeed and using forceful action to win or to achievesuccess: 
an aggressive election campaign
aggressive marketing tactics
Both players won their first-round matches in aggressive style.

So I repeat,

it depends on the definition of aggressive you are referring to.

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

You do realise that words often have several definitions and meanings… right? Even different dictionaries have different definitions.

For example… 

the Cambridge dictionary holds TWO meanings for aggressive

aggressive adjective (ANGRY)

B2
behaving in an angry and violent way towards another person: 
The stereotype is that men tend to be more aggressive than women.
If I criticize him, he gets aggressive and starts shouting.

Or

aggressive adjective (DETERMINED)

C1
determined to win or succeed and using forceful action to win or to achievesuccess: 
an aggressive election campaign
aggressive marketing tactics
Both players won their first-round matches in aggressive style.

So I repeat,

it depends on the definition of aggressive you are referring to.

'Using forceful action', as covered in the second definition, as a traditional 'big man' striker often works against you, which is the point I made. It doesn't pay to be aggressive. Tenacious, yes, assertive, sure, but not aggressive.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

'Using forceful action', as covered in the second definition, as a traditional 'big man' striker often works against you, which is the point I made. It doesn't pay to be aggressive. Tenacious, yes, assertive, sure, but not aggressive.

Again, depends on how you define aggressive.

And as I have already demonstrated, aggressive can be used to describe determination.

Challenging forcibly for the ball, utilising your strength to hold off a challenge, going in hard with a shoulder to shoulder challenge will rarely work against you if you do it legally.  And a good footballer needs to learn to do this aggressively (with determination).

Whilst not strictly correct, in generally terms ‘assertive’ is used when referring to being determined vocally, and aggressive is typically used when being determined physically.

assertive
adjective

UK  

/əˈsɜː.tɪv/ US  

/əˈsɝː.t̬ɪv/

C2
Someone who is assertive behaves confidently and is not frightened to say what they want or believe

I don’t think Caleb confidently asking defenders to let him have the ball is going to work. I’d much rather he was aggressive and took the damn thing off them.

16 minutes ago, Thug said:

Again, depends on how you define aggressive.

And as I have already demonstrated, aggressive can be used to describe determination.

Challenging forcibly for the ball, utilising your strength to hold off a challenge, going in hard with a shoulder to shoulder challenge will rarely work against you if you do it legally.  And a good footballer needs to learn to do this aggressively (with determination).

Whilst not strictly correct, in generally terms ‘assertive’ is used when referring to being determined vocally, and aggressive is typically used when being determined physically.

You've used half of the second definition, which is disingenuous - 'determined to win or succeed and using forceful action to win'. 'And', not 'or'. Determination and aggression are not the same thing. 

Challenging forcibly for the ball, utilising your strength to hold off a challenge, going in hard with a shoulder to shoulder challenge will rarely work against you if you do it legally.

Not true of a target man. Carew did this all the time and was unfairly penalised by refs, which is the point I was making. 

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I guy called 'lexicon' arguing about the dictionary definition of aggression with a guy called 'Thug'.

I don't think this argument could get any more meta.

hahahaha fantastic comment XD

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I guy called 'lexicon' arguing about the dictionary definition of aggression with a guy called 'Thug'.

I don't think this argument could get any more meta.

Don’t get me started on the dictionary definition of ‘meta’

• Haha 1

Â