Caleb Chukwuemeka

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Purslow said we didn't want twenty year olds playing for our U23s as if they're still playing at that level by that age then they're probably not going to be good enough for us.

Last summer we signed, Frith, Caleb, Thorndike, and Azaz as older academy players, all in their twenties now, so we obviously have a plan for these type of players.

Philogene is in his twenties, the likes of Kesler-Hayden, and Aaron Ramsey are approaching their twenties, but we aren't going to suddenly think they're not good enough if they're not part of our first team by then.

Caleb will likely go on loan and hopefully he does well, from what I watched of his time in Scotland, it really is unfair to judge him based on it

I think Purslows comments weren't about 20yo's not being in the first team. I think he meant those players in the U23s who had pretty much never experienced anything other than youth football.

The likes of A. Ramsey, Philogene and Kesler are all playing first team football already. Either here or elsewhere. When Purslow and NSWE started so many were 20-21 and had never been on loan at any level.

As you say, plan for Azaz etc. Will be to sell them on at a profit unless one looks like a real late bloomer (Azaz in particular may be just that). 

Caleb's a really interesting one, has a lot to prove with his next loan and through no fault of his own the eyes are going to be very much on him now - and may be quite unforgiving

Not sure what kind of loan he will get after Livingston, really a player of his ability should be good enough for a championship loan, but might have to settle for League One or Two. It's a big season for him, so hopefully we find him the right club, and he does his part too, experience in Scotland will hopefully have helped him in that regard, he will have learned a lot, and will be I imagine extra determined to do well.

If we can't find him a decent loan, we might just keep him with us until January, let him do well for our U21s and remind other clubs how good he is, and then will be better positioned to get a good loan in Janaury.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Not sure what kind of loan he will get after Livingston, really a player of his ability should be good enough for a championship loan, but might have to settle for League One or Two. It's a big season for him, so hopefully we find him the right club, and he does his part too, experience in Scotland will hopefully have helped him in that regard, he will have learned a lot, and will be I imagine extra determined to do well.

If we can't find him a decent loan, we might just keep him with us until January, let him do well for our U21s and remind other clubs how good he is, and then will be better positioned to get a good loan in Janaury.

I just can’t envisage a scenario where he wasn’t brought here just to appease his brother. He wasn’t particularly highly rated as a youngster and he’s failed on loan at some no mark random Scottish club. 

My theory, and feel free to disagree, is that he was brought in solely to make Carney happy, in the hope it would boost the chances of him signing a new deal. 

It hasn’t worked out therefore he’s surplus to requirements here. 

He’ll be gone shortly. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Only my opinion, likely wrong, but we pandered to Carney by signing Caleb. And now, Carney is off, Caleb is 21 in a few months, 2 career goals (including 1 for mighty Corby Town and the other for Northampton). Struggled at Livingston, didn't even score, in fact, in one of the games last season on loan there he was subbed on and subbed off within seven mins for reasons of having a bad attitude / being out of his depth. Talking of scoring, there is more chance of me scoring a date with Kate Upton, tonight, than there is of Caleb ever making it at this club. Given the age and possible lack of development, and since I am a petty sort who holds grudges easily, I would sell him tomorrow, even if all I could get was a KitKat or a Bounty in exchange, I'd take it. Caleb is not needed so much any more and we have better, younger forwards with more prospects. All the best, either way, and good luck for the season for the lad.

Dear sweet lord…

You monster!

And all that's not to say he's going to turn out to be an amazing player, chances are that he won't make it with us like most academy players, just that he was seen as a good prospect when we signed him, and he has done well for us. Whilst he's still a Villa player I hope he continues to develop and do well.

• Like 1

Livingston was just a bad culture fit and a bit of a wake up call, I think he went there thinking he'd be a big deal and automatically get game time and they treated him pretty poorly expecting him to come in and instantly contribute playing out of position.

It is partly down to his attitude that he didn't want to run through walls for them and he probably did think he was bigger than Livingston.

As well as them treating him pretty badly, the loan didn't make any kind of sense so was doomed from the start.

This may have damaged his chances of getting a Championship loan but you'd think a league one club would take him, the guy is a physical unit with a good reputation only enhanced by the fact he looked head and shoulders over other players in our youth system.

Unless God is also advising him, I don't think his career is finished. My only worry is he didn't get a sniff of anything in pre-season, if i was Steve I would have thrown him in for a few halves to assess him further.

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Livingston was just a bad culture fit and a bit of a wake up call, I think he went there thinking he'd be a big deal and automatically get game time and they treated him pretty poorly expecting him to come in and instantly contribute playing out of position.

It is partly down to his attitude that he didn't want to run through walls for them and he probably did think he was bigger than Livingston.

As well as them treating him pretty badly, the loan didn't make any kind of sense so was doomed from the start.

This may have damaged his chances of getting a Championship loan but you'd think a league one club would take him, the guy is a physical unit with a good reputation only enhanced by the fact he looked head and shoulders over other players in our youth system.

Unless God is also advising him, I don't think his career is finished. My only worry is he didn't get a sniff of anything in pre-season, if i was Steve I would have thrown him in for a few halves to assess him further.

Isn't that a bit contradictory? He went there expecting to get automatic game time and they treated him "badly" by, err, giving him automatic game time...???

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Unsurprising that some fans have now turned on Caleb after Carney has gone, it has been disgusting at times. the treatment both brothers have received from some fans might put off other young players signing for us

Some of the comments in the Carney topic have made my skin crawl. I've seen people wishing him a "short career". VT has some horrendous people in its boards.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Isn't that a bit contradictory? He went there expecting to get automatic game time and they treated him "badly" by, err, giving him automatic game time...???

more 50/50 so not his fault entirely, but again this is making assumptions with very little information to base this on other than....

subbing someone off who is a substitute is pretty awful behaviour and their coach publically hung him out to dry and then as far as I know didn't give him another chance. Ok checked wiki he had 8 appearences, more than I thought, but it was weird they didn't just let him go back to Villa in Jan.

Edited by VillanousOne

32 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Some of the comments in the Carney topic have made my skin crawl. I've seen people wishing him a "short career". VT has some horrendous people in its boards.

I hope his career doesn't reach the heights it could simply to put off young players from making the same decision in the future. Anyone hoping for a career ending injury is twisted.

As for Caleb, any decisions should and will be made in isolation. I've not seen in him what others do yet though.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Now imagine what our "fans" are like on social media... 

How many DMs along the lines of "you can get the **** out of my club too" do you think Caleb woke up to this morning? 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Now imagine what our "fans" are like on social media... 

How many DMs along the lines of "you can get the **** out of my club too" do you think Caleb woke up to this morning? 

Yep. Absolute cretins. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Unsurprising that some fans have now turned on Caleb after Carney has gone, it has been disgusting at times. the treatment both brothers have received from some fans might put off other young players signing for us

I almost guarantee it won’t. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, useless said:

He was an highly rated, player Rangers, Spurs, and Brugge were trying to sign him, we didn't sign him just because of Carney, it might have played into our thinking, but trust me we aren't going to let someone take up a place in our academy, not just a place in the academy but a starting place in our U21s, just because they happen to be someone's brother, what we're trying to do with our youth system is too important for that.

It's not even if he came into our U21s and was average, he was one of the best players, he and Aaron Ramsey were pretty much winning games for us by themselves at the start of the season.

I know our youth system is highly rated, but we don't don't have a conveyor belt of players that can come into the U21s and play as well as he did, I bet our academy and other academies wish it was that easy to find youngsters that good, we didn't just sign a random player because they were someone's brother and they then just happened to then go and score seven goals and five assists in nine PL2 appearances and at times looked unplayable whilst doing so, doesn't work like that, we signed him because we obviously recognized that he had a lot ability and raw potential.

Only way he will be 'gone shortly' is if someone comes in with a bid that we think is as good as we'll ever get for him, otherwise we will continue to try developing him.

Also another thing, we aren't just going to boot out a player because their brother left, would hardly reflect well on us or help us to attract other youngsters to the club, if that's the way we treat players, especially ones that have done as well as Caleb has done for us.

didn't Michael Standing come with Gareth Barry, as a kind of softener?

Â