Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Fantastic interview with the new signing. Very calm, humble, understated and looking forward to cracking on with things it seems. Really refreshing to see and will be such a calming influence on the youngsters who will no doubt look up to him. If the young strikers in the youth team can achieve even half the success he has done in his career to date, then they will have done very well in the professional game.

1 hour ago, crimski said:

As a fan, I don't hate it. Must be really difficult for the players though. I can't imagine making a big life decision which involved moving across the country without talking it through with my old man first.

Funny people’s different relationships. I love my old man but I’d be more likely to send him a text that I had moved a couple of weeks later than ask his advice :)

• Haha 2

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Funny people’s different relationships. I love my old man but I’d be more likely to send him a text that I had moved a couple of weeks later than ask his advice :)

Check out the 'Families' thread in Off Topic. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I guess the question itself maybe drove the answer and as such we probably can’t read too much into it, but interesting to hear him talking about how himself and Ollie could work together. Maybe Smith does plan a system that incorporates both ?

5 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Personally, I wouldn't have gone down this route - whilst I think Ings is a good player and a top finisher - he is 29 and has a long injury record and was also very expensive considering he only had one year left.  I also don't like the implications for Ollie - I wanted him to remain as our "9".  I would have much preferred a younger option/incoming from overseas, who would have sat behind Ollie - we now have the luxury of being able to break in a foreign import gradually.  Edouard at £20m would have been my choice.

However, we now have Ings and have to find a way to play with him.  I do think he will be a good mentor for Young and Barry.

I would think a 3-4-1-2 could be a real option if Axel arrives.  Even stronger of we get JWP who would bring real energy into CM.

Southampton played a 4-4-2 with wide players and we could replicate this with Buendia drifting inside to make the CM three (he also has good pressing stats) and Ollie drifting out side when we lose possession to cover Buendia's flank (he has the energy to do this).

I think, as said above, the next couple of acquisitions will tell us what Dean wants to do.

I think he will be a Watkins alternative in the longer term.  Off the bench when we need a goal.

Expensive - but that's how big clubs operate.

I Imagine Ollie can learn a lot working with Ings on the training ground, really excited about this transfer he’s one of those players that always has the annoying ability of scoring against us or any other team against the run of play,  last season we had to play well to win and obviously that’s what we all want but  some times gameplans don’t always go to plan, and having a player like Ings who has that ability to nick a goal against the run of play out of nowhere hopefully gains us valuable points. 

• Like 2

Keep forgetting we signed this guy. Such a great signing. Exited to see him play for us. He never gives defenders a moments peace, much like Watkins. 

That hard press was such a key to our offensive success last season so to have two strikers who play that way is just so valuable for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

Keep forgetting we signed this guy. Such a great signing. Exited to see him play for us. He never gives defenders a moments peace, much like Watkins. 

That hard press was such a key to our offensive success last season so to have two strikers who play that way is just so valuable for us. 

He's relentless on his day and he will take a ball from just about anyone and that's including a top quality player. Ings can snipe a ball from just about anyone anywhere, if there's one man you could put a thief title next to it would be Danny Ings lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WHY said:

Watkins doesn’t look comfortable out wide imo. I know he started as winger but can see why he was converted to a striker.

tenor.gif

Obviously we’ve sold Ings the huge ambition of the club and owners, but it is surprising just how quickly he agreed to join us. Part of it will be that we’ve probably made him a fantastic offer, a lot of it will also be our own sales pitch to him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows what Southampton’s plans are this summer and wanted out ASAP as well.

My Spurs mate messaged me last night, saying that he’s not happy that we got this done. I’m hearing it a lot and it only makes me even more delighted with this signing.

25 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Obviously we’ve sold Ings the huge ambition of the club and owners, but it is surprising just how quickly he agreed to join us. Part of it will be that we’ve probably made him a fantastic offer, a lot of it will also be our own sales pitch to him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows what Southampton’s plans are this summer and wanted out ASAP as well.

Someone may have brought this up earlier, but he was looking for European football and came here in his prime even knowing Jack was off. The ambition we are showing, not just pitching, shows we are in good hands with NSWE, Purslow, and Lange.

• Like 2

For those who (like me) believed Ings was injury prone. He's missed a total of 15 league games in his last 4 seasons due to injury. Two of those seasons he was injury free. One season he missed 10 games due to hamstring injuries and last season he missed a total of 5 games. 

• Like 1

Â