Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Uh, I heavily doubt Ings will still be playing in the prem and scoring goals for another 4 or 5 years. At least, it won’t be anything close to a good level. I know we can all think of counter examples but those are very much anomalies

32 years old is about the cut off point for a good pl striker. This season we only have Welbeck and Antonio at that age. Beyond that we have Vardy(36), Aubameyang(33), Ronaldo(37) before he left and Diego Costa(34). Most of these players only have 1 league goal scored the entire season so far and some of these guys were great in their prime to say the least.

If Ings somehow breaks away from this pattern, it’ll be unexpected. We probably only have 1-2 years left of him where we can reliably expect him to maintains his former levels. After that who knows.

The problem is that currently he’s our only striker that is scoring…until that changes it’s pointless even thinking of selling him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

The problem is that currently he’s our only striker that is scoring…until that changes it’s pointless even thinking of selling him.

Oh I agree on that. In fact I think he should be starting over Watkins as well.

Just wanted to pushback against this idea that players should be expected to play well into their 30s when that's not supposed to be the norm.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sell him, and if Watkins is injured, just play Bailey up front. Need to try and get some return on the daft 25m price we paid and we can’t afford to pay a player £125k a week to sit on the bench. 

Bailey on his own leading the line? You must be joking ? Ings is the perfect option to bring off the bench a different type of striker.

Part of me does think - and I do like Ings - that we'd be better off cashing in for someone who's desperate for his help now - i.e. Everton.

Ings is unlikely to be here long term, and although it's a bit late now, with not a lot to play for this season, maybe we'd have been better off giving the bench minutes to Archer, or even Duran now Archer's gone Boro.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ings being linked with 20m move to Southampton 

If they offer anything above 20m i sould be tempted to sell to be honest

Seems to come from Athletic here's 3 strikers Southampton could look to sign so pure speculation

1 hour ago, Dillon66 said:

Given that he's currently our leading goal scorer this season, our best finisher by a country mile, and that we are not exactly overrun with alternatives, I'm kind of curious as to why people think we should be in a rush to get him out of the door ? 

A desperate Southampton and 20m would make sense TBF though I dont see anyone making it worthwhile for us to sell him. Useful.

Southampton signing Ings would be very unlike they're transfer policy over the last few windows, they've mostly been signing highly rated young players. Then again Nathan Jones signed a number of older players last season for Luton, so might be different if he has any say. Looking at the table Southampton, Everton, West Ham, Bournemouth, Wolves, Forest, and Palace have all scored seventeen goals or less, so plenty of teams in need of more goals.

Wolves were linked the other day, doesn't seem like their type of signing, but then again does Dawson who they're heavily linked with, they've somehow managed to scored only twelve goals.

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Southampton signing Ings would be very unlike they're transfer policy over the last few windows, they've mostly been signing highly rated young players. Then again Nathan Jones signed a number of older players last season for Luton, so might be different if he has any say. Looking at the table Southampton, Everton, West Ham, Bournemouth, Wolves, Forest, and Palace have all scored seventeen goals or less, so plenty of teams in need of more goals.

Wolves were linked the other day, doesn't seem like their type of signing, but then again does Dawson who they're heavily linked with, they've somehow managed to scored only twelve goals.

I didn't expect this.

I can see the logic in selling him, but would be a gamble without a replacement.

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

hmmmm... i'm torn on if we should sell him or not. Depends on who we could replace him with. 

We should rinse the hell out of them. Play hard to get. They're desperate for a striker. £25-30 Million for me. We know they have money after bidding for Moffi.  Like Don Corleone said, make me a offer I can't refuse.

Edited by messi11

On 17/01/2023 at 16:27, Tom13 said:

Maybe I'm talking rubbish saying not a lot to play for this season though. Maybe Unai will surprise us all even more.

Bit early to say we have nothing to play for.  With 18 or 19 matches left of the season:

We are 6 points behind 6th place (Fulham) with a game in hand over them.

5 points behind the team in 7th (Brighton) although they have a game in hand over us.

4 points behind the team in 8th (Brentford)

3 points behind the team in 9th (Liverpool) who have a game in hand but seem to be struggling to find any kind of good form.  If they don't start picking up results soon the crowd could turn.

3 points behind the team in 10th (Chelsea) who are on a dreadful run, are throwing money around for fun and who could really go into crisis mode at any point.

Two good results against Southampton (although our record against bottom placed teams in recent years doesn't seem to be too hot) and Leicester and things could look interesting.  Yes we need Brighton to have a poor run and for Chelsea and Liverpool to not hit form.  But I think he have good cause to be looking up the table and thinking "what if" at least for a few more weeks.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 15:27, Tom13 said:

Part of me does think - and I do like Ings - that we'd be better off cashing in for someone who's desperate for his help now - i.e. Everton.

Ings is unlikely to be here long term, and although it's a bit late now, with not a lot to play for this season, maybe we'd have been better off giving the bench minutes to Archer, or even Duran now Archer's gone Boro.

I’d rather keep Ings and see Everton get relegated 

Â