Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

My gf and I went to London back in 2019. We managed to squeeze in a trip to VP (first time) for the Middlesbrough match. It was immense. You’re going to have a blast. 

In terms of London I will say, if I could go back, I’d live at Borough Market and eat everything. That and hang out at the Globe, that was a great experience.

Oh, and see the Harry Potter world. Was booked up when we went.

Man, this is really making me miss London lol.

• Like 1

Oh god, you would have to go somewhere for a Balti! 

What do people think? I think Ladypool Road/Balti triangle has been destroyed by it's own success now. 

I don't really go anywhere these days other than my local restaurant, The Oasis in Shirley. 

If you did go to Moseley The Kababish is pretty good but I will leave the place to have a Balti recommendation to someone else who goes out a lot for them I think. 

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Suppose you will have to try a curry on ladypool Rd!

Just now, sidcow said:

What do people think? I think Ladypool Road/Balti triangle has been destroyed by it's own success now. 

I don't really go anywhere these days other than my local restaurant, The Oasis in Shirley. 

If you did go to Moseley The Kababish is pretty good but I will leave the place to have a Balti recommendation to someone else who goes out a lot for them I think. 

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Completely different 

A tour of VP is essential if you get the chance. Really drives home what a massive club the Villa is. Also take the short walk up to Aston Hall as well, nice house and gardens.

Whilst in Brum, check out the library. It's a really spectacular building and worth a quick look inside. Have a look at Brindleyplace for a visit to the famous canals as well. There are plenty of bars around the centre like the Cosy Club and the Lost and Found in really impressive Victorian buildings, but they are a bit pricey. Food wise you can't go wrong with a balti but there are plenty of chain restaurants if that's your thing too.

Stratford upon Avon is a good place to visit, quite touristy and I've come across a fair few Americans there before.

In London a lot of the landmarks are easy enough to do on foot like Big Ben, London Eye, St Pauls, The Globe etc. as they're quite close together. Primrose Hill and Greenwich Park are good places to see the London skyline as well. There's a lot to do there and the hardest thing will be deciding what to fit in to your time there really. There's a museum/gallery for just about anything as well.

In my experience of travelling though, just go and do whatever interests you. If you're a foodie then go to a food market, if you're into art then go to the galleries, and so on.

Make no mistake though that your first trip to VP will be incredible. Having gone back for the Chelsea game last May after 18 months or so, I was blown away at the size of the place and the atmosphere which definitely doesn't get picked up well on the TV. I can only imagine what it will be like for you visiting - enjoy it.

• Like 1

in terms of drinking on the day for the palace game if you manage to get a ticket, the pubs around selhurst are a bit meh and you might not get in anyway as an away fan, but that being said you won't encounter any trouble. found historically palace fans to be a fairly placid bunch.

i tend to drink away from the stadium area and train it to the stadium nearer kick off. i personally drink around the clapham area as there's a direct train from there. the palace ground is a little way out of central london so would be difficult to do any sightseeing on the day of the game

• Like 1

Probably worth speaking to the London Lions Club. I think they usually drink in Elephant and Castle at a small sports bar there, not close to crystal palace but they may be able to help with where to go on a match day nearby

• Like 1

Excuse the ignorance, but what’s the weather like in Brum in November? Short sleeve shirt weather or should we be buying Villa sweatshirts for the match?

We’re from Duluth, Minnesota. Only a couple hours south of Canada, so we’re not afraid of cold weather.

Between 5 and 10° so coldish but that won't be your problem, your problem is it'll probably be wet, not raining more likely just horrible drizzle, grey depressing stuff that you can't escape from 

Proper English weather 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Excuse the ignorance, but what’s the weather like in Brum in November? Short sleeve shirt weather or should we be buying Villa sweatshirts for the match?

We’re from Duluth, Minnesota. Only a couple hours south of Canada, so we’re not afraid of cold weather.

That’s where Fargo is based isn’t it?

Â