Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

God's own Beer Bathams

Have you ever done the Bathams 8?  It’s basically a Black Country Tour of the 8 Bathams pubs. There may be more now but it was a thing to do back in the day. I’ve never done it but have done a few Bathams pilgrimages over the years. Including one impromptu lunchtime. It’s a long story, which can’t be told on here to protect the innocent. Perhaps innocent isn’t the right word. 😇

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

If you visit BMH, just down the road is a pub called the Dog and Doublet. It’s a nice canal side pub with good beer and food. They’ve also got rooms so it wouldn’t be a bad place to stay. Drive into Sutton Coldfield, (if you’re hiring a car), park there and get the train to Villa Park. The Station and The Three Tuns in Sutton are both very close to the railway station, for a prematch and after match beer or two. If you intend to get into it properly perhaps a cab to and from the Dog and Doublet may be a better plan, unless Mrs MNV is behind the wheel. 

Villa Park is wonderful. You’re first view of the pitch will be something else. My first trip was when we were in the old third division but after all these years and hundreds of visits when I walk up the steps to my seat and look out over the pitch it’s still magical. Have a fantastic trip and make sure we win. Otherwise you’re barred!!

Second vote here for The Dog and Doublet. Oh man on a hot sunny day I could spend a few hours there supping beer by The Canal. 

Speaking of which in Brum you can get canal tours from Gas Street Basin and if you like Canal Side Drinking check out The Distillery although there are a few canal side bars, especially at The Mailbox. 

Gas Street Basin is definitely somewhere you should walk around when in Brum the beating heart of the UK canal network. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Have you ever done the Bathams 8?  It’s basically a Black Country Tour of the 8 Bathams pubs. There may be more now but it was a thing to do back in the day. I’ve never done it but have done a few Bathams pilgrimages over the years. Including one impromptu lunchtime. It’s a long story, which can’t be told on here to protect the innocent. Perhaps innocent isn’t the right word. 😇

Not sure I've done all 8 but Bathams do a bus tour which I've done a couple of times (indeed I'm planning one for work in September) that fits in 5 I think. 

I love a Black Country Pub Crawl me. 

• Thanks 1

If you’d like to experience the full spectrum of Birmingham pub culture, enjoy an adrenaline rush, and don’t mind running the risk of having your head kicked in, I’d recommend one of Birmingham’s flat roof pubs.

Built in the 1960s or 70s from concrete, these hostelries have a unique menace that has captured the heart of Brummies who inhabit run-down council estates.

Places such as Northfield, Weoley Castle, Woodgate Valley are good, or if you’re brave enough to head out east, deep into Blues territory, you’ll be spoilt for choice in the likes of Chelmsley Wood and Tile Cross.

• Haha 4

On match day drinking - well it depends how things happen after Covid, it’s been so long for most of us. 
Jewellery Quarter was becoming busy pre match just before this all struck, the likes of Lord Clifton were popular. 
If you want City Centre, The Wellington gets busy, Old Contempibles will have both sets of fans and Joint Stock is decent if expensive. All three close to each other and easy to get taxi to ground from. 
Closer to ground as others have said Barton Arms (although never actually been myself), then there is Aston Social (get there an hr before KO and soak up the songs, keep your ticket and can go in post match as well), Aston Tavern also looks busy and near ground although again I’ve been in. There is also Sacred Heart with is a good laugh post match.

To experience a proper Black Country boozer The Black Eagle is probably actually the best and easy to get to, just a short walk from Soho Benson Road tram stop which is only 10 minutes or so FROM City Centre. 

Don't worry, it will feel like you are walking through downtown Kabul to get there but that's just The Black Country😁

You should find out what Digbeth Dining Club are doing.  I think they've given up their original location now though so not sure what they're doing. 

And Oh you lucky boy.  The German Christmas Market will be on in Brum by then.  

You'll love it or hate it, as a first time visitor probably love it, you will not however be able to avoid it! 

• Like 2

You can't go wrong with my historic home town of Walsall. Often confused with Monaco. If you don't eat from Charlie's Chicken on matchday  and live through the experience you haven't lived life. I'd go for their two piece chicken and chips - extra sweat coating is mandatory.

You have to take a bus ride through chelmsley wood to see the sights with your villa shirt on. By the time anyone realises that you're a Villa fan they'll probably fall over from all the drugs and booze in a pool of their own vomit.

Dingle country is an interesting experience as they have delusions of grandeur but in reality they're just a bunch of mugs.

on a serious note if you're here for a week or two. You have to see the lakes. The lake District is incredible. If you like nature that is.

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You should find out what Digbeth Dining Club are doing.  I think they've given up their original location now though so not sure what they're doing. 

You'll love it or hate it, as a first time visitor probably love it, you will not however be able to avoid it! 

I'll 2nd Digbeth Dining Club, rotating choices on great street food. They have now set up Hockley Social Club but not sure that is quite the same thing. I recall reading that they are finding another location in Digbeth for the Dining Club. Also recommend going for a curry in the Balti Triangle which is also worthwhile. Barton Arms would be a necessary visit as it where the idea for Claret & Blue comes from. 

With general sight-seeing/things to do; it depends on what you want to do; there are definitely a lot of options for you. The city really is a good place to visit/live; Brummies just are not as pompous and self-centred as Mancunians.

If you want to experience British olden days but can't get out to The Black Country Museum, try The Back to Backs in Hurst Street next to the Hippodrome Theatre. 

If you like Chinese/Asian food Tattu is spectacular with amazing food though pricey.  There are tons of Chinese/Asian food outlets around the Hurst Street Chinatown/Gay Village area. 

Another couple of traditional city centre boozers are The Shakespeare and The Trocadero in Temple/Lower Temple Street, in fact Temple Street and parallel Bennetts Hill has quite a large choice  of bars and restaurants now. You can have a decent night out starting at The Shakespeare and moving in a horseshoe up Temple Street, across Temple Row and Colmore Row and back down Bennetts Hill. 

A good shortcut is to duck out of the back door of The Old Joint Stock and straight into the back door of The Wellington.

The Welly is unquestionably the best real ale bar in Brum, but is a bit of an acquired taste. I would definitely visit and decide if you like it or not. Personally although real ale is my thing, and they have a massive choice I just never really like it in there.  Others think it's the best place on earth. 

Edited by sidcow

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you want to experience British olden days but can't get out to The Black Country Museum, try The Back to Backs in Hurst Street next to the Hippodrome Theatre. 

If you like Chinese/Asian food Tattu is spectacular with amazing food though pricey.  There are tons of Chinese/Asian food outlets around the Hurst Street Chinatown/Gay Village area. 

Another couple of traditional city centre boozers are The Shakespeare and The Trocadero in Temple/Lower Temple Street, in fact Temple Street and parallel Bennetts Hill has quite a large choice  of bars and restaurants now. You can have a decent night out starting at The Shakespeare and moving in a horseshoe up Temple Street, across Temple Row and Colmore Row and back down Bennetts Hill. 

A good shortcut is to duck out of the back door of The Old Joint Stock and straight into the back door of The Wellington.

The Welly is unquestionably the best real ale bar in Brum, but is a bit of an acquired taste. I would definitely visit and decide if you like it or not. Personally although real ale is my thing, and they have a massive choice I just never really like it in there.  Others think it's the best place on earth. 

The Wellington is a bit scruffy but does have a massive continually rotating selection.

I used to quite like The Post Office Vaults - they do a good selection of beers. A little underground pub in, yes, old post office vaults. Right by Victoria Square. They used to even have bar billiards, although not been there in years.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Oh I just saw the dates he's coming. For London that probably means Winter Wonderland will be open in Hyde Park too.

Its a massive German Christmas market, with rides and shows inside. Entrance is free and it will be packed (the shows and rides cost and they aren't cheap though. Fortunately the drinks aren't any more expensive than anywhere else in London so it's not too bad) Its really huge with loads to do. The cirque du soleil show is good, there's a main beer tent and if you can get in prior to 7pm there's not much of a queue, it's a great night of everybody signing  (and being told off from dancing on the tables) along to classic singalong songs and drinking beer. When it's like that (particularly as a first timer) it's my favourite thing to do in London. Very much recommend. 

It takes over pretty much all of Hyde Park during the winter so you can't miss it and it is stupid busy, but it can be great if you are ok with that. 

Someone mentioned Birmingham Central Library.  Sounds odd but it is worth a visit.  It's massive, it does have a spectacular Shakespeare room at the top, an old paneled room that was removed from the old (spectacularly beautiful) Victorian library, installed in the 1970's horror show of a library then moved again to the new library.  It also has rooftop gardens and viewing galleries. 

And yes as someone else said, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is a good few hours spent.   Must have a cream tea in The Victorian Tea Rooms there as well, compulsory surely? 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Milennium point yet.  It's overpriced but the closest thing we have to a science museum celebrating the inventiveness of Birmingham. 

It's a shame the time of year you are coming as the weather will likely be a bit grotty so you miss a lot of the outside stuff. 

Also have chosen the one game where we're highly likely to get bum raped 😔

Here is a list of MUST SEE places in England.Tour of the Cottswolds..There are whole villages of thatched roof houses and you would not be suprised if a gingerbread man jumped out at you,thats the sort of place it is.

Tour of Cambridge.There again lots of old houses and buildings and can get a ride on a boat on the canal.

Tour of Wembly stadium.I have been to England 3 times but I went on the Wembly tour in 2012 and then it only cost 10 pounds and part of the tour is walking out as far as  the sidelines while they play a recording of 100,00 people cheering.You then get to walk up the steps and get your picture taken holding the FA Cup.

Tour and watching a game at VP is a no brainer.I was there for Benteke`s first game against WBA.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Someone mentioned Birmingham Central Library.  Sounds odd but it is worth a visit.  It's massive, it does have a spectacular Shakespeare room at the top, an old paneled room that was removed from the old (spectacularly beautiful) Victorian library, installed in the 1970's horror show of a library then moved again to the new library.  It also has rooftop gardens and viewing galleries. 

And yes as someone else said, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is a good few hours spent.   Must have a cream tea in The Victorian Tea Rooms there as well, compulsory surely? 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Milennium point yet.  It's overpriced but the closest thing we have to a science museum celebrating the inventiveness of Birmingham. 

It's a shame the time of year you are coming as the weather will likely be a bit grotty so you miss a lot of the outside stuff. 

Also have chosen the one game where we're highly likely to get bum raped 😔

I thought about millennium point but it's basically the old science museum with exhibits from the 80s that mostly don't work properly any more.

There are a couple of good bits in there, most notably the working original steam engine from the industrial revolution and the planetarium, but it's pretty run down and disappointing overall. It should be amazing but just isn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I thought about millennium point but it's basically the old science museum with exhibits from the 80s that mostly don't work properly any more.

There are a couple of good bits in there, most notably the working original steam engine from the industrial revolution and the planetarium, but it's pretty run down and disappointing overall. It should be amazing but just isn't.

There's a few bits and bobs, but yes considering it's a paid attraction its disappointing compared to the formerly free Science Museum. Still worth spending a few hours in though. 

Actually the Severn Valley Railway is easy to get to if you are into Steam Trains.  Can get a train from Snowhill to Kidderminster and swap straight from the mainline to the SVR.  

It's a very picturesque route and there are a couple of pleasant places to stop on the way or just go to Bridgnorth for the day.  Have a ride on the cliff railway there. 

Â