Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

On 03/12/2021 at 05:17, MNVillan said:

Back home in Duluth, Minnesota. A few more thoughts:

I didn’t cry when seeing VP for the first time, although I thought I would. However it truly is grand and the sheer scale of it was larger than I expected (especially when in the stands).

What I did not expect was how emotional I would get when leaving. Taking one last look at VP while at the train station and trying to soak it all in… yeah, there was some emotion there. Not sure when I’ll get back.

One thing i loved was the community aspect of Villa. On one side of me was a lady in her 50s or 60s who seemed like she had been going to games for her whole life, and I really admire that. She wasn’t plastic, you could tell she was born Villa. Thick brummy accent and not afraid to yell.

Club shop was underwhelming. Not sure what I expected, but it was more than that.

Aston Tavern was really cool. Felt like I was amongst people meeting up for a pint who had been getting together that way for decades. Old friends coming together for a beer and Villa once again.

I don’t care that we lost, it was an amazing experience.

Glad you enjoyed mate. 

Just on the club shop, I agree it isn’t great, but you did go to the club shop at the back of the North stand rather than the much smaller shop behind the Holte end didn’t you? 

45 minutes ago, av1 said:

Glad you enjoyed mate. 

Just on the club shop, I agree it isn’t great, but you did go to the club shop at the back of the North stand rather than the much smaller shop behind the Holte end didn’t you? 

Yeah the one across the parking lot from the North Stand

On 03/12/2021 at 19:31, sidcow said:

I had a corporate invite to that match but had to give it up because I was on holiday. 

Persuaded them to invite my mate from work instead.  They ended up running pissed up and down the executive corridors screaming when we scored. The hosts were told not to invite anyone from my company again and warned they might lose their box😂😂😂

This made me laugh. because Me and the lad work at the same place (over 16 years together) . I have always been in middle management and for the first ten years he was known as Rob's lad. He has grown from an apprentice to a P.E.N engineer with an office. I am now known as Azza's dad. They made the mistake of taking this quietly spoken young man to a VIP match day out against Everton. They said all was free and to enjoy himself, he still cant remember who took him home, daughter in-law said he was so Brahms she made him, sit in the garden until he was sober enough to stand (he fell asleep there) .

I was asked by other staff if he always turns into a crazy man at Villa games running about, shouting, swearing, drinking pints and shots, banging on the tables and screaming when we scored and won. I said well Yeh doesn't every body. 

May be a while before he is invited again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...
Â