Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

48 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well it's well located for that.  Assuming you're getting a cab the main road I mentioned will get you straight there in about 10 minutes. 

I should mention that depending on which side your room is you will have The Sty spoiling your view. 

Still it will prepare you all the more for the magnificence of Villa Park after looking over that dump. 

I would also say it's very handy for Millennium Point and Moor Street Railway Station. 

You have to be ******* kidding me. That’s what you get for letting the Mrs pick the hotel

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. How hard is it to get to VP from there?

Very handy. The M&S and the Bullring sidcow is talking about us very close to New Street train station, which is a ten or fifteen minute trip away to Witton Station right next to VP. Up to you whether you want the train or a cab. I usually take the train out to VP over the cab because I’m worried a cabbie will “find traffic” on a match day and I’m tight. With a lady, I might go for the cab.

1 minute ago, Enda said:

Very handy. The M&S and the Bullring sidcow is talking about us very close to New Street train station, which is a ten or fifteen minute trip away to Witton Station right next to VP. Up to you whether you want the train or a cab. I usually take the train out to VP over the cab because I’m worried a cabbie will “find traffic” on a match day and I’m tight. With a lady, I might go for the cab.

I actually really want to take the train in, it’s one of my main experiences. I would assume plenty of people in claret & blue will be riding with us. Unless it’s actually unsafe, Mrs will be fine.

24 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I actually really want to take the train in, it’s one of my main experiences. I would assume plenty of people in claret & blue will be riding with us. Unless it’s actually unsafe, Mrs will be fine.

Mrs will be absolutely fine. Never a bad idea to keep an eye over your shoulder any where you go on this planet, but Brum at 3pm on a match day is completely safe.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Enda said:

Mrs will be absolutely fine. Never a bad idea to keep an eye over your shoulder any where you go on this planet, but Brum at 3pm on a match day is completely safe.

We might cab home considering it’s a night match

5 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Ooh I dunno, queueing in the rain all the way up the road outside Aston station is also part of the experience.  

On second thoughts, get a cab.

7 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Yeah, as said New Street station is easy from there.  Train will be full of Villa. 

As already said very safe. 

Witton Station is closer to VP but you will get more away fans and a less frequent service.  You get better service and less away fans going to Aston Station. It's a longer walk but more fans use that due to longer/more frequent trains. 

6 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I've never tried getting a cab away from Villa Park after a game but my gut feeling is that it will take hours and you'll probably get back into town quicker by train. 

As @bickster will tell you there is a shortage of cab drivers in the UK right now and it's not going to be solved this side of Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Getting a cab away from any large football stadium isn't easy at the best of times let alone now.

The roads around the ground are closed to traffic. There will be large queues of traffic. 

Making a Pre-booking with a Private Hire Company, will require knowledge of the area and where you can and can't be picked up from, they are also very likely not going to be on time due to the traffic around the ground and most drivers of this nature don't get paid for sitting in traffic so will not want the booking.

Using Uber, you will pay for being sat in traffic and around the end of a game near a football stadium they are likely to have surge in full effect.

Using a Hackney Carriage that you flag down, you'll be stuck in traffic and paying for the time in traffic plus depending on where you are, you may have to go a longer route than usual due to road closures (that applies to every taxi solution)

No form of Taxi is really a good solution to getting away from a game. If you manage to get one, it will not be cheap

• Thanks 1

I would say if you get a cab away then try to get into Aston Tavern or somewhere after the game and then get a cab later at night when the crowds have gone. 

I'm not sure when The Holte Suite closes or if it's even open after a night match.

10 hours ago, MNVillan said:

We’re going to see Hamilton at Victoria Palace theater. Is that a nice place?

Not one of the biggest theatres in town (about 1500 capacity) but it's a lovely building inside. plenty of places to eat and drink nearby too. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

No form of Taxi is really a good solution to getting away from a game. If you manage to get one, it will not be cheap

Hackney Carriage (London Black cab for MN's benefit) will be ruinously expensive. Ordinarily I'd say take your time getting out of the ground and get an Uber 30 minutes after the final whistle but it's not the nicest part of town so you might be better joining a queue for a train/tube back into central London.

On 12/07/2021 at 15:21, MNVillan said:

It’s official, Mrs. MNVillan and I just booked our flights. Hoping to see Palace on November 27 at Selhurst Park and make our pilgrimage to Villa Park on November 30 to see us beat Man City.

All that’s left now is getting tickets sorted.

apologies if it's been previously mentioned, but bear in mind dates might change. unlikely palace but possibly city as i believe the midweek games are split across the Tuesday and Wednesday, so it might move to Dec 1st. the current date + time are just a placeholder.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 17:29, MNVillan said:

The Mrs will be safe.When I made my pilgramage to VP the only thing I could move on the train to VP was my eyes ( must have been about 3,000 people in each carrage ) there is one thing though,if you decide to leave VP by train as well then its essential to get a return ticket at New street on the way to the game. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do any other international fans who have made the trek to England have any experience trying to get away tickets? I know they’re very tough to get for locals, but was wondering if the club set any aside for people like myself going over.

Â