Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

44 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Jesus, we're being invaded, they never came over when we were in the championship, when we needed them.

I think they're getting a bit overexcited after 4th July😁😁

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Jesus, we're being invaded, they never came over when we were in the championship, when we needed them.

Glory hunters! "Where we're you, when we were sh1t?" 😀

1 minute ago, bielesibub said:

Glory hunters! "Where we're you, when we were sh1t?" 😀

Came over during the war too after our women.

This thread is just about go from being a good one to a bloody great one. Bloody yanks.

3 hours ago, MNVillan said:

This is the one. Mrs MNVillan would love it. Is it difficult to get in on a match day?

The pub itself is magnificent and well worth a visit on match day. Just be prepared for the road it’s on, and the surrounding area. Let’s just say Newtown is not the easiest on the eye.

14 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Came over during the war too after our women.

This thread is just about go from being a good one to a bloody great one. Bloody yanks.

I plan on coming over relatively soon as well pal. Just tell me what American product to bring and it's all yours. Here in North Carolina we are famous for thisMrs. Campbell's All Natural Sweet Southern Chow Chow Relish, 16 Oz Glass Jar will that do?👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MNVillan said:

This is interesting to me. Is there not a few pubs around VP that people go to and then walk straight into the ground? Is it more that people drink away from VP and then take the train in before the match?

This is a serious inquiry, I’m surprised I haven’t gotten more responses saying “go to _____ pub across the street from VP, will be packed with Villa supporters.” Of course i don’t know the area at all

Aston Social.

5 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

I plan on coming over relatively soon as well pal. Just tell me what American product to bring and it's all yours. Here in North Carolina we are famous for thisMrs. Campbell's All Natural Sweet Southern Chow Chow Relish, 16 Oz Glass Jar will that do?👍

Bring it and some miracle whip, they stopped selling it over here ages go, best mayo on God's Earth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

The Bartons Arms is just the most spectacular pub, undoubtedly one of the finest Victorian interiors for any pub in the country.  You can walk to Villa Park just about but I would get a taxi

You’ve been spot on with all your posts in this thread, but it’s walk, not taxi. Even if it’s raining, walk. It’s 15 minutes, across the park, past the hall, the ground looming up. Walk, savour it.  Better than sat in a cab, in the traffic, wondering “should I tell him to this’ll do mate, let us out here”.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, KMitch said:

@MNVillan, thanks for this thread!  I'm also looking at booking my first trip to Villa Park either this season or the next, so this is very helpful to me, but I'm leaning more toward 2022 at this point in time, because of all the COVID regulations still in place in Europe.  The USA has mainly gone back to almost normal across the country at this time, but the rest of the world is ~6 months behind us.  Current travel regulations from the USA to the UK require you to quarantine for 10 days in your hotel, regardless if you're vaccinated or not. Hopefully things will be back to normal by October!

I'm thinking of going to USA next year so may be looking for advice on where to stay in New York so the boot could be on the other foot! 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm thinking of going to USA next year so may be looking for advice on where to stay in New York so the boot could be on the other foot! 

Manhattan somewhere between Central Park and Times Square. Exact location is down to budget. Said the expert from Brum who’s only been twice.  

• Thanks 2

Good luck with your journey! You’ve had plenty of recommendations, so I won’t offer much more, although if you are interested in going to Cambridge, let me know, as I’ve lived here for 20+ years.

Just came in to say that I took my Minnesotan housemate to the 2-0 win over Newcastle in our first season back up in the Premier League. Hopefully you and your Mrs will bring us as much luck when you come!

• Like 1

Â