Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

I like pies.

I like Balti.

However I have never understood the obsession with Balti Pies.  I would much rather a steak and ale (not steak and kidney obviously euggh) or Chicken and Mushroom.

Overall I much prefer pasties anyway but not sure they even sell them at Villa Park.   I would always grab a burger or hot dog outside the ground to be honest.

I wonder if the tie up with Digbeth Dining Club will be running next season?  That would be the only place to get some actual quality pre match food.  

Best pie I have ever had at a football ground was at Goodison where I had scouse pie, basically meat and potato, was brilliant.  Meat and potato seems to be a very northern pie.  I've obviously not been to Norwich to try one of Delia Smiths pies.  Lets be avin you.

Edited by sidcow

I was just thinking it's a shame you're not here a few weeks later as you could take in a pantomime. 

As an American 1) it would probably just blow your mind that such a form of entertainment exists and 2) it would probably explain away some odd looking comments on here that you've not understood. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

On 06/07/2021 at 02:44, sidcow said:

I'm thinking of going to USA next year so may be looking for advice on where to stay in New York so the boot could be on the other foot! 

Keep an eye out for deals, they always appear but be ready to book when you see one. Best place is anywhere down near Wall St/World Trade Centre, next place would be East Village, then yeah up near Penn Station would be a good bet. Spend ten mins online figuring out how to use the Subway (different lines, uptown/downtown) and then really anywhere in Manhattan is fine.

Beyond the obvious museums and shopping and Broadway and 9/11 memorial stuff, I would recommend a bike ride from down near Brooklyn Bridge and up to the GW Bridge. They’ve a lovely pathway for it now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oh, and if you like Golf and are going for the Bodymoor Heath tour, the Belfry is pretty much next door. 

That’s a good shout, I’m actually in the golf industry as a profession

On 06/07/2021 at 09:42, sidcow said:

I like pies.

I like Balti.

However I have never understood the obsession with Balti Pies.  I would much rather a steak and ale (not steak and kidney obviously euggh) or Chicken and Mushroom.

Overall I much prefer pasties anyway but not sure they even sell them at Villa Park.   I would always grab a burger or hot dog outside the ground to be honest.

I wonder if the tie up with Digbeth Dining Club will be running next season?  That would be the only place to get some actual quality pre match food.  

Best pie I have ever had at a football ground was at Goodison where I had scouse pie, basically meat and potato, was brilliant.  Meat and potato seems to be a very northern pie.  I've obviously not been to Norwich to try one of Delia Smiths pies.  Lets be avin you.

Chicken, steak, balti, pie, or pasty...they're all interchangeably and all generally very tasty, depending on the time of day or what you're currently craving. As you said, pasty isn't an option at Villa, but if you're craving spice, go for the balti option, if you're craving stodge take the steak and ale option, if you're after a mild, but satisfying option go for chicken and mushroom. They all work and each have their own place (imo)

On 06/07/2021 at 09:42, sidcow said:

I like pies.

I like Balti.

You are correct those scouse pies were 😋 

Edited by Follyfoot

8 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

It’s official, Mrs. MNVillan and I just booked our flights. Hoping to see Palace on November 27 at Selhurst Park and make our pilgrimage to Villa Park on November 30 to see us beat Man City.

All that’s left now is getting tickets sorted.

What’s the best way to go about getting tickets if one was to plan a trip over internationally?

I’m planning a similar trip across the Atlantic in the spring.

12 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

It’s official, Mrs. MNVillan and I just booked our flights. Hoping to see Palace on November 27 at Selhurst Park and make our pilgrimage to Villa Park on November 30 to see us beat Man City.

All that’s left now is getting tickets sorted.

Congratulations!

I will warn you, Selhurst Park is an absolute dump.  It would be a poor ground even by Championship standards.   

I went there for that famous Lansbury cancelled goal for the alleged dive by Jack and was shocked at how bad it was.   Our seats were at the very back of the away end and because of the press gantry we could only see the players boots on the far touchline.  

Horrible ground.  I am amazed that being London and with several years of Premier League money they've not apparently invested any money at all in the ground.

We got the train from London Bridge to Norwood Junction to get there. Pretty easy walk from there to the ground.

• Like 2

Â