Villa Park Pilgrimage

MNVillan

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s where Fargo is based isn’t it?

It’s mainly set in Minnesota, yep. Particularly, our home city of Duluth is on the far western tip of Lake Superior. We’re a massive port city.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For match days, and if you don’t mind a 25 minute walk to the ground (or short taxi ride), you can’t go to far wrong with The Barton Arms. Just look at it.

D70129C2-0D76-4B77-A6AF-68ED07790301.jpeg.273cbe3bf062cf95235090b0fde3eb40.jpeg

I’ve seen Villa supporters and away supporters there, so it’s fairly well mannered. Incredible vintage feel to it inside. Stan & Ollie stayed there (Laurel & Hardy, not Collymore and Watkins). Worth a visit.

As for Birmingham pubs in general, this thread may be of some assistance. 

This is interesting to me. Is there not a few pubs around VP that people go to and then walk straight into the ground? Is it more that people drink away from VP and then take the train in before the match?

This is a serious inquiry, I’m surprised I haven’t gotten more responses saying “go to _____ pub across the street from VP, will be packed with Villa supporters.” Of course i don’t know the area at all

57 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

This is interesting to me. Is there not a few pubs around VP that people go to and then walk straight into the ground? Is it more that people drink away from VP and then take the train in before the match?

This is a serious inquiry, I’m surprised I haven’t gotten more responses saying “go to _____ pub across the street from VP, will be packed with Villa supporters.” Of course i don’t know the area at all

There is a large Muslim population in the Aston area who don't drink.   In truth inner city suburb pubs generally struggle to survive.  Most pubs around Villa Park have closed. 

Personally I dont drink near the ground before games.  This is probably the best place and is real close, but I'm not sure if/how your book.  I imagine it's pretty packed. 

https://www.astontavern.co.uk/

image.png.5c68862f19b4306c4f81a0e58d3a3683.png

The Bartons Arms is just the most spectacular pub, undoubtedly one of the finest Victorian interiors for any pub in the country.  You can walk to Villa Park just about but I would get a taxi

My advice would be to start there but then get a taxi to Villa Park early enough to soak up the atmosphere of the crowds arriving, have a walk around the ground then go into the bars behind stand for a final pint before taking your seat.  

OR if you can try and get entry to The Holte Suite or The Holte Hotel which you might be able to get from your supporters club. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

there are some definitely. the aston tavern has had a big refurb in the last few years (i'm still to go there) plus the aston social and the aston hotel

as someone else has said you also have the holte suite (underneith the holte end) and the holte pub that i believe is only for season ticket holders/supporters club members so your lions club chairman might be able to help you out

you also have the villa tavern up the hill from aston station about 1m from the ground. so there are options nearer the ground, but as others have said, the bartons is a lovely pub and much nicer than all the above mentioned. do some great Thai food too and i believe you can book, unlike the others mentioned that do get busy and difficult to get served

52 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Oh there are a few. 

The Aston tavern is nearby, that’s where a lot of supporters go before a game. It costs a couple of quid to go in (you get a pork sandwich as part of that). If you’re attending a Saturday 3pm game they’ll have the 12:30pm game on. It’s quite a big venue, sprawling. But it’s good. About 5 minute walk to Villa Park. ^ as per @sidcow

The Witton Arms is closer to Villa Park, under 5 minutes walk. That has a separate away supporters section. It’s fine, does what you want it to do. I wouldn’t visit it if I wasn’t going to a game, put it like that.

As per @sidcow’s post, there’s not a huge amount of trade in the area for pubs.

There WAS the Aston Hotel, that was good for a beer before the game (and is very close to the ground) but was turned into a hostel.

F5EE8D04-626A-4298-8418-A1CC5743C930.jpeg.0da7affe054a5b6bf704859fb83e16ad.jpeg

There was also The Brittania by Aston station which has been closed for years. That’s about 10 or so minute walk. Never actually set foot in this one though.

0FB8266E-5665-49DA-86B6-5112BE635CF9.jpeg.17aec2b84199a0abe8d633e108d182a8.jpeg

I’ve long hoped that these could be brought back by the club and returned to what they once were (or at least what I assume The Brittania was once). Not sure how feasible that would be, particularly with the Aston Hotel. A guy can dream.

I’ve found myself in other pubs which are 15 - 20+ minute walks away, couldn’t tell you what they were called. One was a proper little boozer me and my mate stumbled upon, that was quite a distance if I recall rightly which we only took on when we decided we’d catch a later train. Another was a sort of sports and social club which I wasn’t fussed about.

If you're a tourist in London, try visiting the Skygarden - it's the viewing deck on top one of the new central London skyscrapers they built recently (the Walkie Talkie). It's not as high as the Shard but obviously it's still pretty damn high, and it's much nicer on the inside and it's free, and it's also got nice little garden and coffee shop up there. Better than the Shard imo.

You need to book in advance but it's well worth a visit if you want some good views.

I only just moved out of London after living there for twelve years so if you want any travel advice just DM me.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Between 5 and 10° so coldish but that won't be your problem, your problem is it'll probably be wet, not raining more likely just horrible drizzle, grey depressing stuff that you can't escape from 

Proper English weather 

Possibly, but at least it isn't Manchester, which was purpose built in a location designed specifically so it never stops raining 

Another thought has occurred.

If you are interested in visiting an actual medieval castle, then Warwick Castle is probably the finest example that exists and easy to get to from Brum.

Unfortunately it's owned by a theme park company now so it costs a bit but it is pretty spectacular and totally complete.

A cheap place to visit in London is The Great Fire of London monument.  There are a heck of a lot of steps to climb though!  Great view from the top and very cheap by London standards.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Another thought has occurred.

If you are interested in visiting an actual medieval castle, then Warwick Castle is probably the finest example that exists and easy to get to from Brum.

Unfortunately it's owned by a theme park company now so it costs a bit but it is pretty spectacular and totally complete.

A cheap place to visit in London is The Great Fore of London monument.  There are a heck of a lot of steps to climb though!  Great view from the top and very cheap by London standards.

It might be worth joining the National Trust as you then get a discount into many of their sites. One of which is Warwick Castle. 

Having read all the great suggestions on here I think you probably need to extend the length of your trip to a couple of months. You can always come and visit us in The Highlands when you’ve seen enough of London and Brum. 😃

As an overseas supporter I kept my VP ticket as a souverior.When I asked the man in the ticket office if I could keep my ticket (as it was my first visit to VP ) he printed my name on the ticket,making it more special (see bottom right of ticket streight across from Row 8.Also at half time ( on the TV ) there was a message welcomming the Mrs and me to VP.....A really special day.

img004.thumb.jpg.74399ea0bb60c9a8f23d0acd81bbc162.jpg

• Like 3

I can’t speak about Birmingham as I left so long ago that I doubt Mr Egg or Stoodie Bakers is still there but I’ve been 20+ years in London so can’t make a few suggestions. 
Definitely do the Yeoman Warder tours at the Tower of London. It’s about the best tour in London. Ignore Tussauds. Do Kew Gardens - even at that time of year it’s spectacular. Take a boat trip on the Thames. Go to Windsor. 
Get an Oyster card to help with public transport. 
Bring a good coat and sturdy shoes. 
If you’ve time, try and squeeze in trips to Edinburgh, Oxford, Cotswolds, Jurassic coast. 
Don’t buy theatre tickets online. There’s plenty of places in central London that do great last minute deals. 
Borough market is awesome. 
Walk from Buckingham palace, through St James park, down past Downing Street, parliament square then all along the Southbank to Tower Bridge (which most Americans will call “London bridge”). 
Oh and drop me a pm if you want any more London-based advice. I’m sure I could think of lots more things if I give it a bit of thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

As an overseas supporter I kept my VP ticket as a souverior.When I asked the man in the ticket office if I could keep my ticket (as it was my first visit to VP ) he printed my name on the ticket,making it more special (see bottom right of ticket streight across from Row 8.Also at half time ( on the TV ) there was a message welcomming the Mrs and me to VP.....A really special day.

img004.thumb.jpg.74399ea0bb60c9a8f23d0acd81bbc162.jpg

Do they still print physical tickets at VP? I’d be interested in framing mine along with a copy of Villa News & Record for the match we attend

16 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

This is the one. Mrs MNVillan would love it. Is it difficult to get in on a match day?

You really want to be getting a taxi from the city centre to it.  Probably £5 - £10 and a similar price from there to Villa Park.  The area it is in is unfortunately quite run down.

By way of history 100 years ago there were 2 breweries who dominated Birmingham. Ansells mainly north of the city and M&B mainly south.

This pub was built by M&B smack in the middle of Ansells territory as a statement to say "we are so much more powerful than you are, we can build something like this right under your noses."  Hence why it's so opulent.

Basically it's owned by a brewery from Peterborough.  I've no idea why they bought it and spent a ton of money to renovating it as it had been closed for years.  But I always feel grateful to them and try to support them because it's yet another of those pubs in that area that really wouldn't survive without their backing.  The upstairs contains a Thai restaurant which is really good.

You can ask them for a pub tour including the cellars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bartons_Arms

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Do they still print physical tickets at VP? I’d be interested in framing mine along with a copy of Villa News & Record for the match we attend

They still did up until everything closed for Covid, when purchasing the get the choice between standard ticket or print at home.

@MNVillan, thanks for this thread!  I'm also looking at booking my first trip to Villa Park either this season or the next, so this is very helpful to me, but I'm leaning more toward 2022 at this point in time, because of all the COVID regulations still in place in Europe.  The USA has mainly gone back to almost normal across the country at this time, but the rest of the world is ~6 months behind us.  Current travel regulations from the USA to the UK require you to quarantine for 10 days in your hotel, regardless if you're vaccinated or not. Hopefully things will be back to normal by October!

• Like 2

Â