Official Sponsors 2021/2

Phil Silvers

I do find it odd the moral backlash against a sleeve sponsor … I mean yes, gambling can be destructive influence on families and ruins lives. But it is a platform that cannot be accessed in the UK and end of the day I’m sure If there was a viable alternative then we wouldn’t have an obscure Chinese betting platform once again. 

14 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Mining, oil, chemical, pharmaceutical, medical, industry in general, armaments, aerospace, travel ... just thinking of my portfolio ;) 

Exactly to my point. Give me one of those industries which can truly be described as generally ethical and not exploitative in any way.

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Exactly to my point. Give me one of those industries which can truly be described as generally ethical and not exploitative in any way.

ye, i bet on balance Nike, adidas, all/most of the clothing companies etc ruin more lives, run more sweat shops and pollute the environment more than a betting company could ever dream of in their wildest Dr Evil dreams!

All this sabre rattling is some pseudo moralistic stance where if we all actually looked at what the worlds major companies actually do....and acted on it......we would all be wearing binbags!

i mean ideally, we would have no betting companies, but also we wouldnt have exploitative companies and companies that take advantage of poorer people and poorer countries......

I love how the outrage is directed to the flavour of the month, some hive mind faux outrage, or the obvious things we get told to care about, while not looking at what actually goes on, that would actually shock people! (or not cus it would mean they cant wear their Nikes or bling)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Thai is why we have an inside Chinese betting logo on our sleeves… Al long way to go! 

Everton’s & usmanov’s dodgy sponsorship deals… Hasn’t he sponsored upfront there new stadium, to go with the training ground… 🤔

48 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Manchester United also with a dodgy Asian bookmaker whose website is "under construction". Unlike us, they didn't bother to do a presser.

Didn’t they have AIG as a main sponsor for a number of years? The same AIG which needed an £85 Billion bailout in 2008? 

There’s a multitude of examples of these types of sponsorships, sadly. Look at Newcastle with Wonga and Northern Rock!

I agree with a lot of the sentiments on here, but am writing this message from a phone assembled by a Chinese 12 year old with precious metals scraped off a hill by a Congolese 8 year old, so I will digress! I’d love it if we could play in a plain strip but not how it works in a Capitalist world is it.

If you want to feel better about the whole thing, in 2003/04, Atletico Madrid were sponsored by Columbia Pictures. Seems like a score right? They changed their strip in line with forthcoming film releases, this included Spider-Man 2, Hitch and, wait for it, White Chicks. 

See article for some images

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Manchester United also with a dodgy Asian bookmaker whose website is "under construction". Unlike us, they didn't bother to do a presser.

It’s the same white-label we are sponsored by thorough the Isle of Man tax haven 

It's a problem with football, not Aston Villa.  If we want to compete, and comply with the dubious FFP rules, this is necessary.

Corrupt, much like VAR, but it's the way football is these days.

• Like 1

Forget gambling aside:

This company has no internet footprint

There’s no mention of this Kai Webb person existing anywhere - no LinkedIn, no company links, outside of the club’s PR press release. 

There are many questions we should be asking of this deal. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Forget gambling aside:

There’s no mention of this Kai Webb person existing anywhere - no LinkedIn, no company links, outside of the club’s PR press release. 

I'm assuming the board and owners will have asked all these questions, in advance?

As well as the people hired to do so?

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Forget gambling aside:

I mean... why does any of that matter? Yeah it look a bit shady from the outside, but you have to trust that the people negotiating these deals have done their DD. 

At the end of the day it's a business and the people that run the business have to do what they think is best for the club. As far as i'm concerned they warrant a bit of leeway with all the good work they've done so far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The only question we need to know is can/when will they pay us. Other than that it doesn't matter what business they are in, gambling, finance, donkey murder, etc. who cares what they do. You can find moral issues with a lot of big everyday brands if you want. 

the countless and incessant TV gambling ads shoehorned into every opportunity during Sky and ITV sports coverage is the bigger issue. 

Sky particularly, with their own in-house book-keepers always rammed down the throat. 

Gambling is a massive issue in the UK and would love to see their advertisements banned from TV and sporting sponsorship. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm assuming the board and owners will have asked all these questions, in advance?

As well as the people hired to do so?

I highly recommend to people that don't understand why some are so pissed off with this to read Joey D'Urso's reporting on this issue over the past 6 months in the Athletic. Here's the first special report he did, with the main headlines below;

In an exclusive investigation, based on dozens of conversations with insiders in Asia and Europe, The Athletic can reveal:

• Gambling firms based in Asian countries, operating through offshore middlemen and the “white label” system, use Premier League football as a billboard to reach consumers in China, where the government does not allow gambling
  • UK authorities have warned that insufficient checks are being carried out to guard against money-laundering and criminal activity
  • The industry is worth “billions of dollars”, with a first-time gambler’s deposit worth as much as $500, while clubs in the bottom half of the Premier League “highly rely” on the multi-million-pound income from these deals
  • Many English clubs know very little about the nature of the companies whose logos they plaster over their shirts and stadium advertising hoardings
  • Few of these companies have any significant presence in the UK and their personnel and funding remains opaque
  • Concerns over the impact this has in Asia, with football fans risking jail if they follow up the adverts they see during televised matches

So it's actually quite likely the club didn't dig very deeply into this new sponsor, because they don't care to know more. They have a white label licence, that's enough for them, it doesn't matter that all it takes is a service fee to a middle man to get one.

Adrian Wright, a former director at West Bromwich Albion, who now runs marketing site www.sportinggi.com, says white-label licences are seen by clubs considering a deal as sufficient evidence. “In terms of due diligence, obviously the Gambling Commission in the UK sets the bar for holding a UK licence,” he says. “It’s not for a football club or an agent to second guess what’s required in the UK.”

It also mentions in the article that some clubs don't allow their best players to appear in advertising for these companies, only the older, less valuable ones, so clearly the clubs recognise it's a bit dodgy.

I think gambling in football on it's own is a big issue that needs to be taken seriously, I'm tired of every match having 10 minutes before, after and at half time shouting at me "BET, BET, BET! Please gamble responsibly. When the FUN stops, stop.". But these Asian companies using white label middlemen really take the cake, and for me it's disappointing that Villa got rid of one to go straight to another. At least we don't have one as our main sponsor anymore.

5 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I highly recommend to people that don't understand why some are so pissed off with this to read Joey D'Urso's reporting on this issue over the past 6 months in the Athletic. Here's the first special report he did, with the main headlines below;

So it's actually quite likely the club didn't dig very deeply into this new sponsor, because they don't care to know more. They have a white label licence, that's enough for them, it doesn't matter that all it takes is a service fee to a middle man to get one.

It also mentions in the article that some clubs don't allow their best players to appear in advertising for these companies, only the older, less valuable ones, so clearly the clubs recognise it's a bit dodgy.

I think gambling in football on it's own is a big issue that needs to be taken seriously, I'm tired of every match having 10 minutes before, after and at half time shouting at me "BET, BET, BET! Please gamble responsibly. When the FUN stops, stop.". But these Asian companies using white label middlemen really take the cake, and for me it's disappointing that Villa got rid of one to go straight to another. At least we don't have one as our main sponsor anymore.

Thank you. It’s a great article. This type of gambling is even more ripe for exploitation. We shouldn’t be involved in it 

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Forget gambling aside:

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

59 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Thank you. It’s a great article. This type of gambling is even more ripe for exploitation. We shouldn’t be involved in it 

Riot Gang Up GIF by Downton Abbey

When we protesting?

Â