Official Sponsors 2021/2

Phil Silvers

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Gambling is at least a voluntary vice which doesn't exploit or enslave workers in it's industry.  Given the choice between a betting firm and an oil company or tech company, who basically enslaves workers in the Middle East or Asia to manufacture their products, it's an easy choice.  

This. Lot of virtue signaling going on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I suppose you've never spent a penny on a product manufactured in China then?

I was being sarcastic and referring to the virtue signaling dude. lol

Wasn't aimed at you, it's like you lot don't even know me!

• Like 3

It’s not just about gambling, it’s how this market is even more unregulated. You cannot guarantee companies are free from criminality or money laundering. The club should be no where near such obvious risks and dubious practices 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was being sarcastic and referring to the virtue signaling dude. lol

Wasn't aimed at you, it's like you lot don't even know me!

Serves me right for reading and replying on my Chinese mobile device 😏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Gambling is at least a voluntary vice which doesn't exploit or enslave workers in it's industry.  Given the choice between a betting firm and an oil company or tech company, who basically enslaves workers in the Middle East or Asia to manufacture their products, it's an easy choice.  

It starts off as that. I know a guy who worked for a betting company after graduation and ended up leaving due to their "customer retention" policy. It is very much an exploitative industry.

This is such a dumb thing that FFP locks us into. 

We don't need the money, but we need the income on the balance sheet so we can spend. We could theoretically take a stand but it hurts us from a footballing perspective to do so. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It starts off as that. I know a guy who worked for a betting company after graduation and ended up leaving due to their "customer retention" policy. It is very much an exploitative industry.

So is true with any industry dealing with vices...  Alcohol, tobacco, fast food, etc.  Everyone is overwhelmingly against having betting companies as sponsors for moral reasons, but wouldn't mind Carling or Budweiser in their place, when alcoholism is just as destructive to society.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

So is true with any industry dealing with vices...  Alcohol, tobacco, fast food, etc.  Everyone is overwhelmingly against having betting companies as sponsors for moral reasons, but wouldn't mind Carling or Budweiser in their place, when alcoholism is just as destructive to society.  

My feelings are pretty much the same regarding those companies sponsoring sport, especially when kids watch the games.

• Like 1

All very well taking a moral stance but this sponsorship probably pays a players salary for the year. Post Covid we cannot be turning our noses up at deals regardless sadly. Days of Randy’s gesture are few and far between. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

All very well taking a moral stance but this sponsorship probably pays a players salary for the year. Post Covid we cannot be turning our noses up at deals regardless sadly. Days of Randy’s gesture are few and far between. 

Randy's gesture was during the time of FFP being introduced 

Says it all about our luck as a club

I think it's a piece of why he lost interest in football and us, it was a great thing that he / we did that I at the time absolutely loved and was proud of

Now 10 years later we're selling sleeve sponsors to Asian gambling companies no one in the UK has heard of

Its the height of the games gone thread 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

I would, however I also come from a country where it is prohibited to advertise for alcohol.

Compulsory gambling is a mental disorder, same is substance abuse. Until these businesses have laws, guidelines etc to stop them from ruining addicts lives I want my club to avoid promoting them. 

Â