Copa America 2020

maqroll

52 minutes ago, sne said:

And Martinez kept another clean sheet.

Uruguay now has 4 straight international games without scoring. Pretty amazing considering their attackers.

no shots on target, De Arrascaeta didnt even get on

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

no shots on target, De Arrascaeta didnt even get on

Manager also getting some flak for starting Fede Valverde out on the right and for benching Caceres.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Uruguay now has 4 straight international games without scoring. Pretty amazing considering their attackers.

Southgate in charge of them as well? Busy man. 

Uruguay have always set up like Atletico Madrid really. 4-4-2 but basically 4 CMs spread across to track opposition and basically mean Suarez and Cavani don't have to track back much.

Got them some brilliant results in last 15 years under Tabarez, two last 16 exits and World cup SF and copa america win in 2011 so not bad for nation of 4m but now the best players in their team are all mid 30s.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

So 8 teams go through from a 10 team group stage?

Makes the euros look well organised.

That's the trouble with so few countries in South America.  I'm a bit surprised they haven't got together with Central and North America to make a bigger competition.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's the trouble with so few countries in South America.  I'm a bit surprised they haven't got together with Central and North America to make a bigger competition.

I’d much prefer that. The CONCACAF Gold Cup pretty much always comes down to US/Mexico/Costa Rica

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I’d much prefer that. The CONCACAF Gold Cup pretty much always comes down to US/Mexico/Costa Rica

Those countries aren't going to willingly give up on being the big boys to get battered by Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay every time.

57 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They've always had two guests teams from other continents but Australia and Qatar pulled out so had to rejig everything. Fairly sure Spain were going to feature one year.

Japan played in it in 1999.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Brazil score the winner in the 99th minute against Columbia!

Their equaliser is pretty outrageous - and we think refereeing in the PL may be corrupt :D 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Brazil score the winner in the 99th minute against Columbia!

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Their equaliser is pretty outrageous - and we think refereeing in the PL may be corrupt :D 

Yeah no way at all that goal should have been allowed.

Criminal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

2 groups of 5. 

Top 4 in each group go through. What a crock of shit. No wonder its a snoozefest. 

The 2 groups of 5 North and south is OK I think (seeing as there's only 10 of them) 

Its the 2nd round that's shit, should be top 2 only straight to semis

Same as euros, 2nd round is shite 

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

2 groups of 5. 

Top 4 in each group go through. What a crock of shit. No wonder its a snoozefest. 

It is but was initially divided into 2 countries and unite later

On 19/06/2021 at 15:10, sharkyvilla said:

On 19/06/2021 at 15:49, MNVillan said:

On 19/06/2021 at 15:52, Davkaus said:

Those countries aren't going to willingly give up on being the big boys to get battered by Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay every time.

yeah combining CONCACAF & CONMEBOL would be ideal, but will never happen because it's not in the best interests of a majority of the countries in either organization. Would Argentina/Brazil care? Probably not because they'd still qualify, but Mexico/US/Canada/Jamaica/Costa Rica/ Columbia/Uruguay/Chile/Peru would all have a much harder qualifying for tournaments as they would have to play each other and less slots would be open. Also probably more important: less money for everyone involved 

10 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

yeah combining CONCACAF & CONMEBOL would be ideal, but will never happen because it's not in the best interests of a majority of the countries in either organization. Would Argentina/Brazil care? Probably not because they'd still qualify, but Mexico/US/Canada/Jamaica/Costa Rica/ Columbia/Uruguay/Chile/Peru would all have a much harder qualifying for tournaments as they would have to play each other and less slots would be open. Also probably more important: less money for everyone involved 

Based on the ways the Euros and World Cups are going they'd probably just combine it to be 16 teams or something and it might actually be worth more money to those involved. More games to sell, more advertising space to sell, bigger games (suddenly the US are playing Brazil and not Canada which might be more marketable - don't know how much of a rivalry a game like that currently has), more chances to tets themselves against quality opposition and try to improve themselves which might help during World Cups. 

Â