Copa America 2020

maqroll

Always seem to see Neymar losing and then crying whenever he’s involved in a big game

Pleased for Emi, the guy is a winner and his mentality is top. Messi finally wins the Copa, but have to say his diving was just as bad as everyone elses on that pitch. Boring game all in all. Hope tonights is better.

5 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Emi Martinez is incredible. He becomes Argentina number 1 and they win a trophy. I think Romero is a cracking centre back. Quicker than a lot of wingers n strikers.

Spent last season out on loan didn't he? 

Juve have the 2 oldsters at the back so doubt they'd give him up but if he's out on loan again and we can wrangle a loan to buy... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd actually love us to try and get Rodrigo De Paul if we were to get anyone else from Argentina. Wouldn't have much resale value at 27 but is a great player. 

He's just signed for Atleti a few weeks ago. Think he had an agreement they'd let him go for CL football

53 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He's just signed for Atleti a few weeks ago. Think he had an agreement they'd let him go for CL football

I knew there were rumours but hadn't seen they'd completed the transfer. 

I guess Atleti is better then Leeds. 

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Messi has done it now. International trophy.

There is no argument against him anymore.

The greatest of all time.

Not in any way comparable to a WC. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not in any way comparable to a WC. 

Which neither him nor Ronaldo have won. It makes him the best of the generation - imo he already was but Ronaldo had the international trophy.

The comparisons to Maradona will be interesting 10-15 years after he's retired when they're both being looked back on nostalgically rather than just Maradona.

They'll still be someone who brings up him not leaving barca, that club that gave him the opportunity of a life time, became his home, he won the lot with whilst being a contender for best team in history, with his mates from the youth team and they paid him ludacous amounts of money... To join a team that he has no connection to

No doubt the same people have a differing opinion in the jack grealish thread 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Which neither him nor Ronaldo have won. It makes him the best of the generation - imo he already was but Ronaldo had the international trophy.

The comparisons to Maradona will be interesting 10-15 years after he's retired when they're both being looked back on nostalgically rather than just Maradona.

Agreed, but the WC argument has never been about Ronaldo. Its always been about the Maradona vs Messi comparison

Like you say, interesting to see how history remembers him once the nostalgia kicks in.

Messi will never be as big in Argentina as Maradona was no matter if he wins them the world cup. Maradona was god and he carried them to the WC triumph just years after the Falkland war. Even with Argentina in dire situation and needing something to rally behind with Covid and everything else going on a WC win now will never be the same as what Maradona did.  

Fwiw I hate comparing players from different eras as the world, football and everything else has changed so much and is ever changing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Agreed, but the WC argument has never been about Ronaldo. Its always been about the Maradona vs Messi comparison

Like you say, interesting to see how history remembers him once the nostalgia kicks in.

How many European Cups did Maradona win?

• Like 1

It’s pointless basing a players ability on whether their team won something. They are then a hostage to fortune. 

George Best was a pretty good player but no one judges him because Northern Ireland didn’t win the World Cup, that would be a stupid thing to do.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Spent last season out on loan didn't he? 

Juve have the 2 oldsters at the back so doubt they'd give him up but if he's out on loan again and we can wrangle a loan to buy... 

Atalanta have option to buy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Different era when the uefa cup (which he won) was usually harder to win the the European cup. It wasnt the top 4 CL that we have now. 

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm not sure what your point is? The argument has always been about the WC. I didn't start that argument/comparison, it something that has rumbled on for years by plenty of people. Its seen as the one thing that you could measure both players against. On a club level, Messi's achievements are far better, albeit, in a far stronger team. 

Like others have said, very difficult to compare. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm not sure what your point is? The argument has always been about the WC. I didn't start that argument/comparison, it something that has rumbled on for years by plenty of people. Its seen as the one thing that you could measure both players against. On a club level, Messi's achievements are far better, albeit, in a far stronger team. 

Like others have said, very difficult to compare. 

Sorry yeah my point was it's always Messi has to measure up to the one or two achievements Maradona got but never the other way round where he outstrips pretty much everyone else who ever lived.   

• Like 1

Â