Euro 2020 : Group B (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia)

BOF

Apparently Belgium and Denmark will stop playing in the 10th minute as tribute to Erikson. I’m not sure about these kind of things to be honest. 
It’s one thing the crowd clapping or cheering at a certain point, for the players to just stop feels a bit too far. 

• Like 1

Agreed. A tribute before the game is nice, as is fans marking the time. Stopping the game is just strange. I wonder whether they're stopping bang on, or waiting for a break in play

• Like 1

a stop in play doesn't go far enough, I want a theatrical re-enactment to the last detail in the 42nd minute.

Agreed though, acknowledging him with a round of applause for his number, fine, or something pre-game is plenty surely

He's ok now - and he's being given a heart-starter defib inserted into him. I don't know whether that KOs or helps any aspirations to play again, but necessary for him anyway. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/christian-eriksen-latest-denmark-star-heart-starter-cardiac-arrest-b941099.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Apparently Belgium and Denmark will stop playing in the 10th minute as tribute to Erikson. I’m not sure about these kind of things to be honest. 
It’s one thing the crowd clapping or cheering at a certain point, for the players to just stop feels a bit too far. 

Why?

Not sure why anybody would care about how a bunch of footballers choose to pay tribute to a colleague/friend.

11 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Why?

Not sure why anybody would care about how a bunch of footballers choose to pay tribute to a colleague/friend.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Because it’s the finals of a major tournament? 
Tributes are all well and good, but there shouldn’t be deliberate breaks in the play for them. 

Something before the game, fans clap at a point maybe with something on the screens, how about a tribute t-shirt under the shirt when a goal goes in? They all pay tribute and show he is loved.

But deliberately kicking the ball out of play on the 10th minute of an important game seems a step too far for me. 

Edited by Genie

If Belgium are in possession in the 10th minute they'll put it out of play

Hopefully not with a deadly cross arcing towards an unmarked Lukaku I guess

Idk, let them do what they want imo

With all the relief that he turned out OK and the situation settling down, it's kind of a downer to think that it's still quite likely that his career ended at that moment

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Because it’s the finals of a major tournament? 
Tributes are all well and good, but there shouldn’t be deliberate breaks in the play for them. 

Something before the game, fans clap at a point maybe with something on the screens, how about a tribute t-shirt under the shirt when a goal goes in? They all pay tribute and show he is loved.

But deliberately kicking the ball out of play on the 10th minute of an important game seems a step too far for me. 

Only football mate. Somebody nearly died.

Probably still pretty traumatic for all players involved

On 16/06/2021 at 11:27, Zatman said:

Its a bit harsh but Finland play 3pm today so not sure where they fit the game in. They could have just called it a draw under the circumstances

What would they have done if they had to apply the Covid-19 rule they have if a Covid outbreak in the squad had happened? Would the whole world have gone under if they had to play the 2 postponed games  tomorrow, so we had 5 games instead of 3 tomorrow?

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

What would they have done if they had to apply the Covid-19 rule they have if a Covid outbreak in the squad had happened? Would the whole world have gone under if they had to play the 2 postponed games  tomorrow, so we had 5 games instead of 3 tomorrow?

They would have been forced to field a U-21 side.

12 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

the tv companies wouldnt allow it, sad but thats pretty much what is the most concerning thing for UEFA :(

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the tv companies wouldnt allow it, sad but thats pretty much what is the most concerning thing for UEFA :(

I know, but the Covid rule allow the games to be postponed up to 48 hours, Denmark got 12 hours

Edited by Taxahunter

Just read a story in the danish news on the Eriksen situation. Getting a heart-starter defib inserted is under normal circumstances considered quite a small operation with only local anesthesia, where the patient is often able to leave the hospital the next day.

Based on this, I thoroughly expect Eriksen to get on the pitch in the last group match agains Russia 🙃😉 🇩🇰🇩🇰

Sweet start to the tournament for Denayer.

Denmark are going to be a nightmare to play against if they manage to handle the Eriksen tragedy in a positive way.

Â