Euro 2020 : Group B (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia)

BOF

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Because he collapsed on the ground and was given CPR?

Oh ok. Thought you were implying there was something not obvious.

Completely agree. It seemed to me that UEFA gave them a hard choice of a) finish the game tonight and b) finish it tomorrow at 12pm, and then when the players reluctantly chose the first option it was presented as if they'd spontaneously asked for it. Pretty contemptible if so, and like you say the players shouldn't have been forced to make that decision anyway

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

Completely agree. It seemed to me that UEFA gave them a hard choice of a) finish the game tonight and b) finish it tomorrow at 12pm, and then when the players reluctantly chose the first option it was presented as if they'd spontaneously asked for it. Pretty contemptible if so, and like you say the players shouldn't have been forced to make that decision anyway

They probably figured they wouldn't sleep much last night collectively, so maybe just get it out of the way, then regroup, have a few days to reflect and then play the rest of the tournament. TV and sponsors were king in how this decision was handled. Poor Denmark. Poor Schmeichel. When you think about how home advantage is a big factor because you have the crowd behind you and you know the stadium and its your comfort zone, and all the other intangibles, and you compare it to what the Danish players were going through psychologically being back on that pitch. It is ridiculous to expect them to be able to make a rational decision, and then expected to maintain concentration for the remainder of the game.

Would you like to be jabbed in the eye with this red hot poker or jabbed in the bollocks with this cactus?

"The players have asked to be jabbed in the bollocks with a cactus"

Edited by YLN
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

What are UEFA supposed to do? Finland play again in a couple of days. UEFA gave them the option to play on Saturday or postpone to Sunday and they chose Saturday. Denmark’s manager has said they were under no pressure from UEFA to come back out and play.

57 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

Whats the other option, force it on them?

It was a very tricky situation, I don’t really know what else could have been done. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

What are UEFA supposed to do? Finland play again in a couple of days. UEFA gave them the option to play on Saturday or postpone to Sunday and they chose Saturday. Denmark’s manager has said they were under no pressure from UEFA to come back out and play.

You beat me by a matter of seconds :D 

9 hours ago, sne said:

Former Spurs team doctor Sanjay Sharma suggesting that Eriksen's career is over and that he would not be cleared to play in England at least.

He's also saying that up until 2019 his heart test were normal. 

How scary that someone in superb fitness under regular monitoring by world-class medical professionals can suddenly collapse doing something they've done literally hundreds of times.

I still don't feel quite right after watching that yesterday and hope I never have to see something like it again. I would love to see Eriksen play again, but it's hard to imagine how that could happen. I'd much rather see him live a long and healthy life with his family.

• Like 1

Obviously just a massive shite coincedence but all 3 of Eriksen, Abdelhak Nouri and Daley Blind have gone through similar ordeals and all have represented Ajax at some point in their careers.

Just horrible that Nouri couldn't get the same fast treatment that we saw yesterday. Really tragic story.

The idea that UEFA didn't have a choice is missing the obvious one of awarding a draw. I can't imagine anyone complaining about that.  Take the couple of days they have before the next fixture to recover as much as they are able.  It's just a game of football, it really doesn't matter if it doesn't get played.

3 minutes ago, Straggler said:

The idea that UEFA didn't have a choice is missing the obvious one of awarding a draw. I can't imagine anyone complaining about that.  Take the couple of days they have before the next fixture to recover as much as they are able.  It's just a game of football, it really doesn't matter if it doesn't get played.

Don't really agree with your post above, but this one is on the money.

3 hours ago, JamieZ said:

How scary that someone in superb fitness under regular monitoring by world-class medical professionals can suddenly collapse doing something they've done literally hundreds of times.

I still don't feel quite right after watching that yesterday and hope I never have to see something like it again. I would love to see Eriksen play again, but it's hard to imagine how that could happen. I'd much rather see him live a long and healthy life with his family.

I dont want to make allegations but I think footballers are given a lot more supplements and stuff now to be so fit that its not good for the health. in last 15 years or so Eriksen is not the first player to have something serious happen to him

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont want to make allegations but I think footballers are given a lot more supplements and stuff now to be so fit that its not good for the health. in last 15 years or so Eriksen is not the first player to have something serious happen to him

I have Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy, which is the same condition Fabrice Muamba has.  Heart problems are hard to spot and echocardiograms are surprisingly not part of a standard medical exam given to most football players.  Unfortunately, it's common for most footballers to play most of their careers without knowing they have a condition, until the worst happens.  Fabrice Muamba, Ruben de la Red, Abdelhak Nouri, Cheick Tiote, and more have all had the worst happen to them either in a match or in training before they even knew they had a problem.  Manuel Almunia is the only one I've heard of who actually had a heart problem diagnosed by a routine medical exam, forcing his retirement as a precaution.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It would be awful if something to that effect were borne out by hindsight. As others have pointed out, though many players have pulled through after receiving world-class medical care on the spot, Abdelhak Nouri wasn't so lucky and will suffer from permanent brain damage. While the Ajax connection is scary, I really hope it proves to be a terrible coincidence.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I have Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy, which is the same condition Fabrice Muamba has.  Heart problems are hard to spot and echocardiograms are surprisingly not part of a standard medical exam given to most football players.  Unfortunately, it's common for most footballers to play most of their careers without knowing they have a condition, until the worst happens.  Fabrice Muamba, Ruben de la Red, Abdelhak Nouri, Cheick Tiote, and more have all had the worst happen to them either in a match or in training before they even knew they had a problem.  Manuel Almunia is the only one I've heard of who actually had a heart problem diagnosed by a routine medical exam, forcing his retirement as a precaution.  

How was it detected in you, if you don't mind my asking?

1 hour ago, JamieZ said:

How was it detected in you, if you don't mind my asking?

My father passed away of a sudden heart attack when he was 38.  The autopsy revealed he had HCM.  I was only 9 when he passed away, but my mom had me screened to see if I also had the condition.  The cardiologist didn't detect anything wrong at that time, but asked her to continue to have me checked every few years until I was 25, because it develops as you grow through puberty.    It finally showed up on an EKG when I was 20 and I've had to adjust my lifestyle to adjust to the disease ever since.  I'm in my mid 30s now and I'm to the point where they're considering putting in an implantable defibrillator as another precaution, in addition to medication.  The ironic thing is that a lifestyle of intense exercise (e.g. distance running/biking/swimming & weightlifting) is actually just as fatale to people with my condition as being a smoker, binge drinker, or morbidly obese.  I was lucky to be blessed with poor hand eye coordination and an unathletic body.  🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing that. The fact that it seems to hard to detect (i.e. that a negative test doesn't mean you don't have it) is quite worrisome.

As a distance runner, moments like this give me a certain amount of pause, but I'm pretty sure that the risks shouldn't discourage me from pursuing an active lifestyle. In my case, the risks of being sedentary far outweigh the risks of being active.

Pretty interesting stuff regarding the Italian league and Christian.

Serie A, unlike any other league in Europe have mandatory checks for heart problems for all athletes annually (I think its deeper than just football and might be a nation wide thing, too)

His was at some point last year and nothing out of the ordinary was found. Makes the whole thing even scarier.

Â