Euro 2020 : Group B (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia)

BOF

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't think they are. If population correlated to success, China would be a footballing super power. They have a great appetite for football over there. Never come close to qualifying for a world cup though. They're players don't play at a good enough level. Now, you'd say something if Russia had players in top clubs throughout Europe. But they don't. Good clubs yes but not the top ones. If it's a population thing, surely they can stand Zhirkov down at this stage. They can't because nothing coming behind him. It's not rocket science. The last 4 countries standing in this, will have players playing in top clubs throughout Europe. Greece was an exception. Not the rule.  Belgium should be beating Russia. No great shock here.

Russia always strikes me as a bit of a comfort zone international team, most of their players are happy just playing in Russia getting big pay days instead of testing themselves in major european leagues. Golovin had a go at least and you have the odd one pop up in the prem (their pretty good euro 2008 team had likes of Arshavin and Pavlychenko come to decent prem teams after all).

They had a much better team in the late 90s/2000s. Mostovoi, Valery Karpin and Victor Onopko were all excellent players for many years in Spain and had Kanchelskis was russian wasn't he and a good player in premier league for many years.

Reminds me of Mexico who are a huge underachiever in national football and really should get more players in europe but never really happens and probably less in future given the massive paydays they can get in MLS now.

30 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Was in the pub when it happened and although it hit me pretty hard didn’t really clock his eyes open.

The reaction, sometimes things happen that make you proud to be part of the human race, the reaction to this is one of those times.

Heart growingly proud of every player on that pitch and every fan in that stadium, and obviously the staff.

I honestly was really worried as I was watching the game when Foe died and he had exactly the same look

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Samenas turkey last night completely given up 

That goal was atrocious from a Russian POV, absolutely no pressure or attempted tackles 

Turkey were listless. Embarrassing display.

45 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Unfortunately for them, piss-testing gets taken seriously in football so they can't shithouse their way to glory.

I think this is one of the few sports Russia can compete as Russia because WADA dont consider it an important event 🙄

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Their domestic league suffers from the sheer size of the country. Vladivostok to Moscow takes like 6 days on a train. I guess it’s tricky to produce quality players without at least a decent domestic league.

Lived in Moscow for a bit and felt football never really meant anything. It's a vehicle for billionaires to have fun and ultras to have a fight. I'm not sure many have desires to be world beaters and why would they? They can make an enormous fortune doing a decent job for Spartak.

I don't think the coaching is there at any level either, and the investment us put into anything other than grassroots football

I'm sure if Russia gave a shit they'd be a much better team in 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't think they are. If population correlated to success, China would be a footballing super power. They have a great appetite for football over there. Never come close to qualifying for a world cup though. They're players don't play at a good enough level. Now, you'd say something if Russia had players in top clubs throughout Europe. But they don't. Good clubs yes but not the top ones. If it's a population thing, surely they can stand Zhirkov down at this stage. They can't because nothing coming behind him. It's not rocket science. The last 4 countries standing in this, will have players playing in top clubs throughout Europe. Greece was an exception. Not the rule.  Belgium should be beating Russia. No great shock here.

China did qualify for the 2002 World Cup (though mainly because Korea and Japan were there as hosts and Australian was still part of Oceana). 

47 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

China did qualify for the 2002 World Cup (though mainly because Korea and Japan were there as hosts and Australian was still part of Oceana). 

And because they had Premier League legends Sun Jihai and Li Tie in their squad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

So, that Erickson thing looked cardiovascular, right? Spooky. 

Spooky why?

9 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah, a heart attack and was pretty much dead for about a minute. Horrible.

The doctor's report made out like he always had a pulse, but it 'drastically changed' so maybe VF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Spooky why?

The doctor's report made out like he always had a pulse, but it 'drastically changed' so maybe VF.

Put me off running now :( 

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well Denmark didn’t show enough heart to win it.

Too soon?

so you wanted to see videos of Eriksen getting CPR and now making jokes about it. Classy dude

• Like 3

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Sure you're British?

Yeah, I see no time or content limit on jokes. Never have.

eh i am not British

this is also a football forum where people love football and a footballer nearly died, I am sure is other websites or use Twitter for sick jokes

Â