Euro 2020 : Group B (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia)

BOF

Former Spurs team doctor Sanjay Sharma suggesting that Eriksen's career is over and that he would not be cleared to play in England at least.

He's also saying that up until 2019 his heart test were normal. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Former Spurs team doctor Sanjay Sharma suggesting that Eriksen's career is over and that he would not be cleared to play in England at least.

Scary. A lesson to never take life for granted!

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, he would surely never pass a medical or be insured to play, and a manager would presumably be unlikely to want to take the chance, and in any case he's a fablously rich man with a young family that I'm sure he'd like to see grow up, so I think that's career over.

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I also like the strange thinking that you have to be British to find it funny. Yet you only have to be human to find it insensitive and abhorrent. 

pretty sure the "comedian"isnt British either

Apparently Denmark and the danish players had 2 choices,  finish the game the same evening or play the 2nd half today at 12. 

if that’s true then UEFA is to blame and people were right about them yesterday 

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 1

If I was Uefa I would give the Danes a bonus point for playing on in almost impossible circumstances. Well done to Finland for winning their first ever summer tournament match but you can't judge it by normal standards.

It might annoy everyone else in the group but ultimately it would probably help Russia and their racist horrible fans not get to the next round. So win win.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Russia always strikes me as a bit of a comfort zone international team, most of their players are happy just playing in Russia getting big pay days instead of testing themselves in major european leagues. Golovin had a go at least and you have the odd one pop up in the prem (their pretty good euro 2008 team had likes of Arshavin and Pavlychenko come to decent prem teams after all).

They had a much better team in the late 90s/2000s. Mostovoi, Valery Karpin and Victor Onopko were all excellent players for many years in Spain and had Kanchelskis was russian wasn't he and a good player in premier league for many years.

Reminds me of Mexico who are a huge underachiever in national football and really should get more players in europe but never really happens and probably less in future given the massive paydays they can get in MLS now.

Yes Mexico a good shout. Other than boxing and a bit of baseball it is their national sport. It doesn't help being in the concaf group rather than south america as they are not really tested.

India have never been good at football and I think China have given up in team sports and have invested hugely in olympic sports in the past 20 years. They got to the World Cup in 2002 but nothing since.

The USSR got to a few euro finals but Russia has had 1 euro semi final in 2008 and that is it in about 30 odd years really.

1 hour ago, sne said:

That's why I was wondering about the well established fact that viruses can attack the heart, causing enlargement if training continues during infection, and we're in a COVID epidemic where athletes might have been asymptomatic. I could be completely off and talking complete rubbish but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of pro footballers having stress echos after this.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think it's more likely he had a genetical defect they didn’t pick up on. To be honest I'm not sure you can pick up on it.

I think defects are almost always picked up just by a simple ECG. And then a stress echo for further exploration.

• Like 1

The reason I know a bit about the heart stuff is I'm a huge hypochondriac and I've had *loads* of heart tests over the years while I knew a local heart surgeon who I spoke to every week because I was a bit obsessive. My last test was a stress echo on a tilt table exercise bike. All wired up and they have to get the heart rate right up but because I cycle a lot it took ages 😂 then as you're blowing out your arse, you have to somehow hold your breath for a few seconds while they do a sonograph looking at all of the structures of the heart visually working while it's under stress. Alongside the ECG graph at the same time they will spot anything. Anyway, OT 🙂

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The reason I know a bit about the heart stuff is I'm a huge hypochondriac and I've had *loads* of heart tests over the years while I knew a local heart surgeon who I spoke to every week because I was a bit obsessive. My last test was a stress echo on a tilt table exercise bike. All wired up and they have to get the heart rate right up but because I cycle a lot it took ages 😂 then as you're blowing out your arse, you have to somehow hold your breath for a few seconds while they do a sonograph looking at all of the structures of the heart visually working while it's under stress. Alongside the ECG graph at the same time they will spot anything. Anyway, OT 🙂

I had heart surgery as a kid so I've done a couple of those too over the years.

• Like 1

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/mar/18/heart-disorder-hocum-fabrice-muamba

Sounds like it's almost certainly going to be HOCM that has caused him to collapse, and the article implies it's possible to screen for it and the Italian league he plays in do already screen for it.

Scary to think it can still unexpectedly affect players despite that.

33 minutes ago, darrenm said:

That's why I was wondering about the well established fact that viruses can attack the heart, causing enlargement if training continues during infection, and we're in a COVID epidemic where athletes might have been asymptomatic. I could be completely off and talking complete rubbish but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of pro footballers having stress echos after this.

I think defects are almost always picked up just by a simple ECG. And then a stress echo for further exploration.

I'm not a doctor, but how can it? I had a genetical defect that caused a stroke in my 20s. You could have the same stuff in your heart and it would definitely cause a heart attack. I really don't think it's as simple as doing an ECG. Unless there's something obvious I'm missing.

ECG, like MRIs, afaik are methods of establishing whether trauma has affected the organs ability to function probably? How does it establish genetic defects/anomalies that can break out in the future?

A physical defect is one thing, a genetic defect where you're disposed to get a trauma is something else.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â