Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

So Southgate thinks that Henderson won’t be fit for the first game of the Euro’s. I have no idea how he is going to get up to the required standard for the tournament. Such a big risk when there are quite a few other players that could be taken and can actually play if other injuries occur.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

So Southgate thinks that Henderson won’t be fit for the first game of the Euro’s. I have no idea how he is going to get up to the required standard for the tournament. Such a big risk when there are quite a few other players that could be taken and can actually play if other injuries occur.

It’s madness.

You can, to a degree, understand taking special players like Rooney and Beckham when racing to be fit. But Henderson? We have replacements, use his spot for someone who is ready to go.

It drives me mad how all common sense goes out of the window when picking a squad for a tournament. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s madness.

You can, to a degree, understand taking special players like Rooney and Beckham when racing to be fit. But Henderson? We have replacements, use his spot for someone who is ready to go.

It drives me mad how all common sense goes out of the window when picking a squad for a tournament. 

yes but he plays for media favourites Liverpool, imagine England won a tournament without a Liverpool player. It would be null and void in many eyes

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s madness.

The one thing in his favour is he has 26 to choose from not the usual 23. He sees those 3 as free passes where normally you’d be bound to 2 players per position plus an extra keeper.

I still think that he should be using those spots for fit players because those two are by no means special and are arguably less good than some of their replacements but it’s less crazy in this situation.

• Like 1

He can still drop maguire and Henderson the day before the Croatia game, that's why I think no one has been sent home yet and white, Ollie, Lingard are getting minutes 

This injured player thing is a bit shit at the moment because this change thing is new cos of rona, if this maguire thing is true about not being fit until the knockout stage then surely he'll be dropped, same with Henderson 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

He can still drop maguire and Henderson the day before the Croatia game, that's why I think no one has been sent home yet and white, Ollie, Lingard are getting minutes 

This injured player thing is a bit shit at the moment because this change thing is new cos of rona, if this maguire thing is true about not being fit until the knockout stage then surely he'll be dropped, same with Henderson 

You’d be a bit pissed off if you were Mings or Stones, played well to get England into the knockout rounds and then got dropped for Maguire who will be horribly unmatch fit.

• Like 1

Of maguire or Henderson can't make the starting 11 for Croatia then drop them both imo 

Owen, Beckham, Rooney etc all these players we've dragged along to tournaments to the detriment of the team and now we're doing it with Harry **** maguire?? Madness

Henderson to a lesser extent because of his leadership and our inexperience at CM but he's not a world beater either 

• Like 2

If you’re not fit enough to play the first game then you shouldn’t be in the squad. We’ve got decent back up players who will be chomping at the bit to get in. Give them a chance imo. Maguire’s not exactly peak Maldini, he’ll be even slower if he’s not match fit. 

• Like 2

To be honest, probably 16-17 players are going to play. Southgate won't play a different team when he plays Scotland or Croatia. That's 1 keeper and 16 outfield that will be on the pitch during the whole tournament.

10 are going for a holiday abroad. So I don't mind Henderson going if he is a valued member of the changing room and can bring some experience and wisdom*. 

*Disclaimer: I don't know if he can bring those things, but it's a possible argument for him being included.

47 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

If you’re not fit enough to play the first game then you shouldn’t be in the squad. We’ve got decent back up players who will be chomping at the bit to get in. Give them a chance imo. Maguire’s not exactly peak Maldini, he’ll be even slower if he’s not match fit. 

He was dreadful at start of last season when he barely trained after his arrest. Southgate started him for England and he was sent off first half 

• Like 1

Â