Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

England are talented enough and deep enough to win the tournament. All the pressure is on Southgate. And maybe that's a good thing. If he picks the right team and tactics, England will win it.

48 minutes ago, maqroll said:

England are talented enough and deep enough to win the tournament. All the pressure is on Southgate. And maybe that's a good thing. If he picks the right team and tactics, England will win it.

NARRATOR: He didn’t.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

One of the differences with this England team or squad comparted to the golden generation is that they are far more together as a group and not a collection of individuals. i think Southgate deserves a lot of credit for this. 

I think Southgate has helped with this but he can't take all the credit. Football has seemingly moved on with less tribalism from players at different clubs. A lot of which is due to greater number of interactions between them doing stuff like online gaming together. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

One of the differences with this England team or squad comparted to the golden generation is that they are far more together as a group and not a collection of individuals. i think Southgate deserves a lot of credit for this. 

I wonder if this might have something to do with that squads of yesteryear were made up of a core of Liverpool and Man Utd picks which inevitably led to 2 camps who intensely disliked each other. By picking from a more diverse pool you don’t get that even split.

• Like 1

England have a good team, but on paper, stand no chance against France. 

Mbappe eats Foden alive, Kante destroys Rice, Benzema makes Kane look like a penalty merchant, and the list goes on.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I wonder if this might have something to do with that squads of yesteryear were made up of a core of Liverpool and Man Utd picks which inevitably led to 2 camps who intensely disliked each other. By picking from a more diverse pool you don’t get that even split.

I’m looking forward to the daily reports of “great spirit, everyone getting on great, absolutely no sign of club rivalries, best it’s ever been blah blah blah”. 
Then on the pitch they look like they just met.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Mbappe eats Foden alive, Kante destroys Rice, Benzema makes Kane look like a penalty merchant, and the list goes on.

Brian Clough quote: We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game...

Now there's someone who should've been England manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 8pints said:

Brian Clough quote: We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game...

Now there's someone who should've been England manager.

While I get what you are trying to say, I think that the fact the game is played on grass and not on paper can only be a negative for this England team. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

And Grealish destroys ALL OF THEM. 

• Like 1

I think we've got a decent squad.

And apart from one or two anomalies (people like Coady and the extra right back) I don't think Southgate could have picked a much better squad.

The weakness for me is really central defence. I don't particularly rate Maguire but without him in that squad we're looking pretty ropey. Stones as the senior centreback isn't very reassuring.

But as I keep saying, I have no faith in southgate to get anywhere close to the most out of the attacking talent at his disposal so it's all moot really

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It’s worse when you line them up on the pitch. Mbappe and Benzema versus Stones/Coady/Pickford

Edited by Genie

46 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I agree apart from Kane vs Benzema

Don't get me wrong, Benzema is an excellent player and probably better than Kane.

But I think opposition fans tend to underrate Kane. He's one of the best strikers in the world at the moment

• Like 2

Personally I don't understand all the criticism of Southgate and England, aren't most of us here English? 

OK first of all Villa but I would love England to do well. Many seem to dislike Southgate but I'd like to see him have success.

England have some brilliant players and if they click I hope we could do well. Kane, Grealish, Foden are up there with the best in Europe.

The right-back thing is a misnomer, Walker is like a Quarter-back in the NFL and he wants to get involved higher up the pitch and influence the game.

Alexander-Arnold is similar and Reece James finished the season playing in midfield for Chelsea and can also play Centre-back.

We only need one of Henderson or Phillips sitting as this team should be dominating possession at the very least in the group phase.

• Like 1

A front 5 of

Mount                  Rice

Foden     Kane    Grealish

Will terrify any team at the Euros

Get Henderson sat behind there with a back 4 of TAA, Stones, Maguire, Shaw and that's a bloody good team. One that has a really good chance of winning it.

• Like 1

You've just described how we could and should play and then asked why we don't like Southgate... 

He won't play like that 

I expect the 3-4-3 to look really good in the friendlies, remember saka and Jack linking up before? It'll be like that, pushed really high up but it won't beat the first decent team we play

Southgate isn't good enough, he's too reserved, our best chance is to unleash the attack and he won't 

• Like 1

@villa4europe has nailed it. We’re pre-frustrated because we all suspect Southgate will play a reactive, defensive first game. Rather than using the attacking talent to give the opposition something to worry about from the start.

• Like 1

Exactly that, first game is vs Croatia who despite not being the team they were in 2018 will be surrounded by guff about losing to them making it a cagey nervous game which it's easy to expect Southgate to approach cautiously when there is also a strong belief that if we go out and play our stuff we will comfortably beat these teams

Instead we cautiously go in to the Croatia game, maybe don't get a win, then go in to the Scotland game and they're a pub team we should be looking to stick 5 past but instead there's a load of guff around that being this fierce Derby so we approach that one cautiously, maybe don't get a great result there either meaning that we've put pressure on ourselves to get a result vs the Czechs so we approach that one cautiously too

If we just go out and play our stuff, attacking, name the best front line we can and let them loose then we score 10 goals in 3 games and win the group... And then go out to Portugal or France 😜

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Personally I don't understand all the criticism of Southgate and England, aren't most of us here English? 

OK first of all Villa but I would love England to do well. Many seem to dislike Southgate but I'd like to see him have success.

England have some brilliant players and if they click I hope we could do well. Kane, Grealish, Foden are up there with the best in Europe.

The right-back thing is a misnomer, Walker is like a Quarter-back in the NFL and he wants to get involved higher up the pitch and influence the game.

Alexander-Arnold is similar and Reece James finished the season playing in midfield for Chelsea and can also play Centre-back.

We only need one of Henderson or Phillips sitting as this team should be dominating possession at the very least in the group phase.

There's a difference between wanting him to do well and actually thinking he will.

I want more than anything for him and England to be a success. I just don't think he's capable of it

• Like 1

Â