Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree apart from Kane vs Benzema

Don't get me wrong, Benzema is an excellent player and probably better than Kane.

But I think opposition fans tend to underrate Kane. He's one of the best strikers in the world at the moment

It’s weird, I agree while also thinking Benzema is criminally underrated.

Also his goal after the final whistle that one time is one of the best things I’ve ever seen.

32 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It’s weird, I agree while also thinking Benzema is criminally underrated.

Also his goal after the final whistle that one time is one of the best things I’ve ever seen.

He's a brilliant player. And like I said I wasn't suggesting Kane was better.

But I don't think the comparison between the two makes Kane look shit. He's still an excellent striker who would walk into most teams in the world

• Like 1

I've mixed views on the squad. Was disappointed for Watkins as think he would offer something different and personally prefer him to DCL, but I also really wanted TAA. Four RBs is excessive but that is a ridiculously strong area. Very happy Jack was given no 7 but he really should have been no 10 and swapped with Sterling. By having the no 7 shirt, it does suggest he will start for England so really hope that's the case.

I hope he doesn't go with 5 at the back as I think England will be much better playing with as many of their quality attacking players as possible. 4-3-3 makes sense with the players we have.

I'm torn between 2 line ups. I'm choosing Pickford as I think that's what Southgate will do, though not convinced with either him or Henderson.

Option A

---------------------Pickford-----------------------

Walker----Stones-----Maguire-----Shaw

--------------------------Rice------------------------

-------------Foden--------Mount---------------

Sancho-------------------------------Grealish

-------------------------Kane-----------------------

Option B

----------Bellingham--------Mount----------

Foden---------------------------------Grealish

And then finally a more defensive team (2 DMs) against the strongest teams like France, but still sticking with a back 4.

Option C 

----------Henderson----------Rice------------

---------------------Mount-------------------------

Sterling and Rashford have been woeful for a while now, but I'm pretty sure he'll select them. Also think he'll go with a back 5 rather than a 4 and play Trippier RB with Walker in a back 3 with Stones and Maguire. If Maguire isn't fit, then Mings will probably play and I hope he doesn't fanny around at the back if that's the case as we know he has a habit of doing that for us. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

England have a good team, but on paper, stand no chance against France. 

Mbappe eats Foden alive, Kante destroys Rice, Benzema makes Kane look like a penalty merchant, and the list goes on.

France definitely has the strongest squad, but I think England is up there in an attacking sense at least. We have a tough route to the final though. Portugal have a lot of top players it seems and could go far.

Will be interesting to see who gets out of the group of death (Group F).

Do People think we could really get away with a midfield consisting of Mount and Foden together against anybody but the likes of Scotland?

I get that we have loads of good attacking players but we're also blessed with essentially no top defenders.

Individually this team looks great, in reality it looks almost impossible to balance with players returning from injuries etc

3 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Do People think we could really get away with a midfield consisting of Mount and Foden together against anybody but the likes of Scotland?

I get that we have loads of good attacking players but we're also blessed with essentially no top defenders.

Individually this team looks great, in reality it looks almost impossible to balance with players returning from injuries etc

Careful not to underestimate the Scots. I hear they've got a lad in midfield who's handy.

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

A front 5 of

Mount                  Rice

Foden     Kane    Grealish

Will terrify any team at the Euros

Get Henderson sat behind there with a back 4 of TAA, Stones, Maguire, Shaw and that's a bloody good team. One that has a really good chance of winning it.

Pretty much what I would go for (against stronger opposition) - 4-2-3-1 - Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Henderson (if fit), Rice; Mount, Foden, Grealish; Kane.

Or as above but with Mount in for Henderson and Sterling (if he finds some form!) in the three behind Kane.

I could certainly see us playing 3-4-3 though as we have great options within the squad, player wise and formation wise. It's pretty difficult choosing the best XI because many of the players competing are at a similar level ability-wise.

Ultimately we have a good chance of going all the way but I think we will fall short (again) - Probably due to either defensive frailties, Southgate cautiously holding us back or the inevitable missed pen! 🙈

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Southgate has said anything less than getting to the semi-final will be a failure. That was brave.

Hopefully it means he'll be swiftly sacked if we don't make it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I've mixed views on the squad. Was disappointed for Watkins as think he would offer something different and personally prefer him to DCL, but I also really wanted TAA. Four RBs is excessive but that is a ridiculously strong area. Very happy Jack was given no 7 but he really should have been no 10 and swapped with Sterling. By having the no 7 shirt, it does suggest he will start for England so really hope that's the case.

I hope he doesn't go with 5 at the back as I think England will be much better playing with as many of their quality attacking players as possible. 4-3-3 makes sense with the players we have.

I'm torn between 2 line ups. I'm choosing Pickford as I think that's what Southgate will do, though not convinced with either him or Henderson.

Option A

-------------Foden--------Mount---------------

Sancho-------------------------------Grealish

Option B

----------Bellingham--------Mount----------

And then finally a more defensive team (2 DMs) against the strongest teams like France, but still sticking with a back 4.

Option C 

----------Henderson----------Rice------------

---------------------Mount-------------------------

Sterling and Rashford have been woeful for a while now, but I'm pretty sure he'll select them. Also think he'll go with a back 5 rather than a 4 and play Trippier RB with Walker in a back 3 with Stones and Maguire. If Maguire isn't fit, then Mings will probably play and I hope he doesn't fanny around at the back if that's the case as we know he has a habit of doing that for us. 

I like all of those teams but I feel we'll play 5 at the back which completely unbalances the whole team imo. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I like all of those teams but I feel we'll play 5 at the back which completely unbalances the whole team imo. 

It does when he plays Maguire left of the back three and/or with two holding midfielders and any involvement of Eric Dier! Thankfully the last part wont become a reality.

I think it can work but it needs to have the right personnel in and if we're dominating it would turn into a 3-4-3 anyway - Also I think, even though he doesn't play this system with us, it is Tyrone's best chance of starting.

Something along the lines of:

Pickford

Stones    Maguire    Mings

TAA                                                     Chilwell 

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

England have a good team, but on paper, stand no chance against France. 

Mbappe eats Foden alive, Kante destroys Rice, Benzema makes Kane look like a penalty merchant, and the list goes on.

Foden did outdo Mbappe in the champions league semis finals

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Southgate has said anything less than getting to the semi-final will be a failure. That was brave.

yes I think if they get past the last 16 game they will get to the final. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Depends how early we play someone good.

Well we are going to play France, Portugal or Germany in the last 16 so if we win against any of those i am confident they will go all the way.  

I don't need anyone to explain to me why 'we don't want to meet France until the final', but at the end of the day we *could* beat them, and we also could easily lose to someone else. It's the Euros; you don't get an easy run to the final 4 like we managed in the World Cup.

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It would be a laugh if France didnt even get out the group stage. 

It would but nearly impossible, they probably just need one win to realistically qualify for the next round

Â