Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Actually don't mind GS calling up Ben White for the final squad. My main issue is that he is takings Henderson  along which is an absolute waste of space, I would be absolutely pissed off if I'm JWP losing a place to someone who hasn't kicked a ball for 4 months.

• Like 3

Just now, HongKongVillan said:

Actually don't mind GS calling up Ben White for the final squad. My main issue is that he is takings Henderson  along which is an absolute waste of space, I would be absolutely pissed off if I'm JWP losing a place to someone who hasn't kicked a ball for 4 months.

JWP will genuinely offer something because of his exceptional set pieces. Is Ben White even going to get on the pitch? If he does, what does he offer over those already in the squad?

Its madness.

If he’s calling up White it’s because he wants him as a DM despite better options, including JWP for his set pieces. Henderson clearly isn’t fit and won’t be for the tournament. I want Southgate to fail hard. It’s frankly embarrassing. 

A braver, more competent manager drops Henderson and Maguire over their fitness to make way for Watkins and JWP. The squad is so imbalanced and you know it’s tilted towards wedging them in despite their fitness issues. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

JWP will genuinely offer something because of his exceptional set pieces. Is Ben White even going to get on the pitch? If he does, what does he offer over those already in the squad?

Its madness.

It's not what a squads for though is it? You're not going to use every player.

The White call up makes sense as an original 26. It's actually a more balanced squad now. It's just funny that he's been called up to replace one of our many many RB's

Bit suprised by all the JWP love here. Southampton might have been the worst performing English team of 2021. They've been miserable. Taking a decent free kick isn't reason to include somebody in the team, there's no way people would be kicking up such a fuss if another player from such a poor team didn't get a call up.

Edited by Rino8
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A braver, more competent manager drops Henderson and Maguire over their fitness to make way for Watkins and JWP. The squad is so imbalanced and you know it’s tilted towards wedging them in despite their fitness issues. 

Maguire being there is a joke.  He's likely to miss the group stage. So he's planning to drop whoever got us through the group stage for a non match fit Maguire on the knockout stages... what? Maybe if he was the player of a generation you'd understand,  but he's really quite average. 

Henderson is another crazy choice, when he's clearly not match fit,  but he is at least not injured currently. Should have got more game time yesterday if he is planning to use him in the tournament.

It is clear as day Southgate is going 5 at the back. He tried 4 in these two friendlies and we looked rubbish.  That's his excuse for switching back to 5 ready.  5-2-3 incoming,  the number of players called up for each position guarantees it.

13 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

It's not what a squads for though is it? You're not going to use every player.

The White call up makes sense as an original 26. It's actually a more balanced squad now. It's just funny that he's been called up to replace one of our many many RB's

Bit suprised by all the JWP love here. Southampton might have been the worst performing English team of 2021. They've been miserable. Taking a decent free kick isn't reason to include somebody in the team, there's no way people would be kicking up such a fuss if another player from such a poor team didn't get a call up.

Or he's called up white as cover for 2 players who aren't fit and shouldn't be there... 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 16:18, PaulC said:

Well they failed to qualify for the last world cup and England got to the semis. Not sure we should be concerned about Italy 

We should be concerned about Italy because we always lose to the first decent team we come up against in knockout competitions. We've never beaten a top team.

If we meet Italy we'll lose

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or he's called up white as cover for 2 players who aren't fit and shouldn't be there... 

Club captains from the countries 2 “biggest” clubs get a spot despite being injured. Bottler.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Maguire being there is a joke.  He's likely to miss the group stage. So he's planning to drop whoever got us through the group stage for a non match fit Maguire on the knockout stages... what? Maybe if he was the player of a generation you'd understand,  but he's really quite average. 

Henderson is another crazy choice, when he's clearly not match fit,  but he is at least not injured currently. Should have got more game time yesterday if he is planning to use him in the tournament.

It is clear as day Southgate is going 5 at the back. He tried 4 in these two friendlies and we looked rubbish.  That's his excuse for switching back to 5 ready.  5-2-3 incoming,  the number of players called up for each position guarantees it.

We tried 5 in the groups and looked even worse.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Grealish will start. He's number 7 and he's been the best player on the pitch in the 2 friendlies.

Although nothing would surprise me with Gareth

The second he announces his first team and Jack isn’t starting the media will start the process of turning on him.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We tried 5 in the groups and looked even worse.

Don't disagree, but Southgate loves his defenders and I'm convinced he's switching back to 5, given he has had the chance to call up someone else, but again gone with a defender. 

Not a clue who he's going to play up front, as the friendlies we just played that should have been chance for us to try out our preferred team have been a waste of time. With him resting half the people he has religiously used when available, it is a mystery what he's now thinking. I have zero faith in him to pick the best team. 

As a poster said earlier, inclusion of Ben White pretty much confirms that Maguire won't be fit. We now have 5 centre halves in the squad plus Kyle Walker, who most suspect will play on the right of a three. By including unfit Maguire and Henderson, Southgate is clearly picking his favourites, which is why for me Jack won't start against Croatia.

Lose to Croatia,  draw to Scotland and win against the Czechs. Go out in the first game of the knock outs. 

We have been poor against bottom end teams,  Southgate  is well out of his depth.

Players were chosing not to pass to Jack, yesterday, Rashford and Shaw both ignored him time and time again. It looks like egos are going to influence Jack's impact on this tournament. Henderson  ignoring team orders for the penalty won't help either. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

Â