Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Konsa should be in the team.

Especially given the fact he can cover at RB 🤣

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Its players not being fit

There's a lot of injured / recovering from injuries players in the squad, including 2 of the left wingers 

Lingard is a safety net, agree about him probably being 1st choice replacement too, if Jack does his shin ls in the next 2 weeks then Lingard is in, would rather Jack sat the 2 friendlies out and started vs Croatia if I'm honest 

I think it's also that the Chelsea and City players are not available yet having just played the Champions League final. (Or is that what you meant? I may have misunderstood)

55 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm probably alone in this but I don't mind the squad apart from not having Ollie as a third striker.  James and Walker seem sound choices for playing on the right of a back 3 with Trippier and TAA fighting it out at right wing back.  I just know he will play 2 sitting midfielders though which is where he will lose me.

This is the closest to how I feel. I really don't think it's that bad, the only thing I would have done different is take Watkins instead of TAA, and maybe it was worth it so that the media don't spend a week savaging him for leaving out media darling Trent. He might be getting hell from people for taking 4 RBs but it would be even worse if the blessed Trent had been left out. And anyway, if he stays fit Kane will be on the field every minute, so it's not like Watkins would have got on the pitch for any reason other than injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm probably alone in this but I don't mind the squad apart from not having Ollie as a third striker.  James and Walker seem sound choices for playing on the right of a back 3 with Trippier and TAA fighting it out at right wing back.  I just know he will play 2 sitting midfielders though which is where he will lose me.

Except James doesn't play as  RB and TAA does.  if its  back 4 Walker starts TAA back up and a back 5 Walker shifts into the three and Trippier or James play RWB

• Like 1

So if Kane is targeted in our opening game and receives a bang on his dodgy ankle, we’ll have Calvert-Lewin as our only lone striker option for the rest of the tournament?

It’s either a very risky/brave decision by Southgate or an incredibly naive/stupid one.

Should we not reach the semi-finals minimum I think he could be out.

I’m bias obviously but Ollie deserves a place here.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

So if Kane is targeted in our opening game and receives a bang on his dodgy ankle, we’ll have Calvert-Lewin as our only lone striker option for the rest of the tournament?

It’s either a very risky/brave decision by Southgate or an incredibly naive/stupid one.

Should we not reach the semi-finals minimum I think he could be out.

I’m bias obviously but Ollie deserves a place here.

I dont think Calvert-Lewin would start if Kane got injured. I think he would play Rashford down the middle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I dont think Calvert-Lewin would start if Kane got injured. I think he would play Rashford down the middle

I think your right and that's why Southgate isn't the manager to win a major trophy.  As Ollie has shown this season you defend from the front especially  against teams who like to play out from the back......International teams. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is this England team really that strong? Central defence and central midfield look very suspect. 

Mount and Rice would be a decent cm.  Best in the world in the rb position and good attacking options but yes centre of defence could be the problem. 

I saw elsewhere that a third of the England squad before today's eliminations also qualify to play for Jamaica...

Kieran Trippier
Kyle Walker
Reece James
Ben Godfrey
Kalvin Phillips
Marcus Rashford
Jadon Sancho
Raheem Sterling
Ollie Watkins
Mason Greenwood
Dominic Calvert-Lewin

As well as those Toney, Keinan Davis, Dwight O'Neil, and Demarai Gray are also eligible for the famous Caribbean island nation.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is this England team really that strong? Central defence and central midfield look very suspect. 

I thought if Henderson was fully fit him and Rice isn't a terrible pivot compared to plenty of other midfield duos in last decade for England.

It's certainly the two weak areas in the 11 (with keeper). Rest is pretty strong though, likes of Chilwell and Reece James excellent in the run in and probably neither will start. Sancho had excellent end of season to get Dortmund in top 4 but he likely won't start either and one of Grealish/Foden also probably not starting.

Trippier a crucial player for the La Liga winners and he won't be starting either

I'd actually say this squad has much better depth in many areas than in golden generation times but nowhere near the calibre of CB and midfielders as back then and the old reputation over form selection is also likely in this tournament which has been a massive problem for England as long as I can remember.

England's midfield isn't particularly strong, Mount has improved this season but he's still closer to a Maddison/Grealish/Foden type player than he is a traditional central midfielder, so I think if we played with just him and Rice in the middle against the better teams we'd probably find ourselves in a bit of trouble.

So probably going to have to play with two DMs which people seem to hate, or use Bellingham alongside Mount and Rice who's more of a 'No.8' style midfielder, that would probably be my preference, but when it comes to no.8s we have so little choice, for whatever reason that type of midfielder seems to have gone out of vogue in recent years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

England's midfield isn't particularly strong, Mount has improved this season but he's still closer to a Maddison/Grealish/Foden type player than he is a traditional central midfielder, so I think if we played with just him and Rice in the middle against the better teams we'd probably find ourselves in a bit of trouble.

So probably going to have to play with two DMs which people seem to hate, or use Bellingham alongside Mount and Rice who's more of a 'No.8' style midfielder, that would probably be my preference, but when it comes to no.8s we have so little choice, for whatever reason that type of midfielder seems to have gone out of vogue in recent years.

I hate it because rice and Phillips have no partnership together, they both look lost as to what they should be doing, phillips is an OK player but he's struggling for an identity with England imo doesn't work with rice and doesn't play the same role as he does with leeds

I don't really rate rice that highly either, he's better with us out of possession than he is with us in possession and we can expect higher possession in at least 2 of the 3 group games, he's a better Nakamba imo good tackler and blocker but not a good pivot 

Henderson is key to the midfield, southgates favourite 3 I think would be rice, Henderson and Mount and its actually not that bad 

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I thought if Henderson was fully fit him and Rice isn't a terrible pivot compared to plenty of other midfield duos in last decade for England.

It's certainly the two weak areas in the 11 (with keeper). Rest is pretty strong though, likes of Chilwell and Reece James excellent in the run in and probably neither will start. Sancho had excellent end of season to get Dortmund in top 4 but he likely won't start either and one of Grealish/Foden also probably not starting.

Trippier a crucial player for the La Liga winners and he won't be starting either

I'd actually say this squad has much better depth in many areas than in golden generation times but nowhere near the calibre of CB and midfielders as back then and the old reputation over form selection is also likely in this tournament which has been a massive problem for England as long as I can remember.

One of the differences with this England team or squad comparted to the golden generation is that they are far more together as a group and not a collection of individuals. i think Southgate deserves a lot of credit for this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I hate it because rice and Phillips have no partnership together, they both look lost as to what they should be doing, phillips is an OK player but he's struggling for an identity with England imo doesn't work with rice and doesn't play the same role as he does with leeds

I don't really rate rice that highly either, he's better with us out of possession than he is with us in possession and we can expect higher possession in at least 2 of the 3 group games, he's a better Nakamba imo good tackler and blocker but not a good pivot 

Henderson is key to the midfield, southgates favourite 3 I think would be rice, Henderson and Mount and its actually not that bad 

Rice and Henderson are good at the job they do but with England they play a defensive enough team that they arent needed. I think Phillips is decent but overrated at international level for the job. The problem is England need a player in front of the 5 man defence to pass the ball about, not sure they want to play Mount in the same spot but he is the only real option

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rice and Henderson are good at the job they do but with England they play a defensive enough team that they arent needed. I think Phillips is decent but overrated at international level for the job. The problem is England need a player in front of the 5 man defence to pass the ball about, not sure they want to play Mount in the same spot but he is the only real option

Don't worry Southgate will use Maguire as a roaming playmaker again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â