Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I can see an argument that if we go out and beat Czech 4-0, everyone plays well, the whole country gets excited, that might be beneficial. The worst possible outcome would be a 1-0 win - maybe a penalty - and a tepid, uninspiring performance, which gives us neither the excitement nor the favourable fixture.

So that's what will happen.

100%

A repeat of the Croatia game followed by a game vs Germany or France and the excuse that they're just really **** good and we're unlucky written all over it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I think Southgate will walk if we go out with a wimper.

I think he's too stubborn to do that. And he'll want the chance at redemption while collecting a salary in the process.

According to papers if England win group potential path is: one of France/Germany/Portugal. And Portugal may not even make last 16 if they lose to France.

QF: Sweden/Spain

SF: Wales/Holland/Denmark/Russia.

I mean that looks o.k to me. Avoid France at all costs but Germany aside there's not that much to be scared of.

Sweden much worse than 2018 when England comfortably swept them aside in quarters, think a Spain type team would really suit England in knock outs e.g not have to have possesion for possesions sake and spring counter attacks and SF is much kinder than finishing 2nd which would be one of Italy/Belgium with all the likely probabilities.

See no logical whatsoever to do this idea it would be better to finish 2nd like in world cup that is being floated as you'd likely have France in quarters and then Italy in SFs and no way are England winning both of those, will likely lose both comfortably.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

According to papers if England win group potential path is: one of France/Germany/Portugal. And Portugal may not even make last 16 if they lose to France.

QF: Sweden/Spain

SF: Wales/Holland/Denmark/Russia.

I mean that looks o.k to me. Avoid France at all costs but Germany aside there's not that much to be scared of.

Sweden much worse than 2018 when England comfortably swept them aside in quarters, think a Spain type team would really suit England in knock outs e.g not have to have possesion for possesions sake and spring counter attacks and SF is much kinder than finishing 2nd which would be one of Italy/Belgium with all the likely probabilities.

See no logical whatsoever to do this idea it would be better to finish 2nd like in world cup that is being floated as you'd likely have France in quarters and then Italy in SFs and no way are England winning both of those, will likely lose both comfortably.

Problem is, we lose to any of France/Germany/Portugal so talking about routes past that and chances of us getting to finals sort of doesn't matter?

I'd fancy a Ukraine, Poland, Denmark, Russia etc etc to be in with a chance in any knockout game. Stay tight, take your one chance and see what happens. We don't even have that in our locker, we're hopeless.

2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Problem is, we lose to any of France/Germany/Portugal so talking about routes past that and chances of us getting to finals sort of doesn't matter?

I'd fancy a Ukraine, Poland, Denmark, Russia etc etc to be in with a chance in any knockout game. Stay tight, take your one chance and see what happens. We don't even have that in our locker, we're hopeless.

Of course I understand the narrative England are now worst team in international history again...but I mean are Croatia suddenly worse than all those you've listed above in your second sentence? And that was a reasonably comfortable 1 nil win. Croatia obviously aren't the same force as in 2018 but am I missing something....likes of Modric and Perisic harder to nulify thsn Dzuba or Yarmolenko?

England have next to no chance of beating Italy, France and probably fully fit Belgium but don't see it being certain defeats v anyone else.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Of course I understand the narrative England are now worst team in international history again...but I mean are Croatia suddenly worse than all those you've listed above in your second sentence? And that was a reasonably comfortable 1 nil win. Croatia obviously aren't the same force as in 2018 but am I missing something....likes of Modric and Perisic harder to nulify thsn Dzuba or Yarmolenko?

England have next to no chance of beating Italy, France and probably fully fit Belgium but don't see it being certain defeats v anyone else.

We've never beaten a top team when it matters. We don't do upsets, we go out with a whimper and a lot of what ifs.

We underperform to such a boring level. You watch Ukraine play and think they could pull off an upset here against anybody, even if they lose 9/10 times.

Any team that should on paper beat us will, because we're not a team.

Any team that we should beat we will. Because we're individuals.

8 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Declan Rice has completed only 3 progressive passes in 180 minutes (from just 8 attempts). This is in games where we’ve dominated possession at Wembley vs. Croatia and Scotland? That’s atrocious. 

And Neville has the gall to say Mings is the issue with our distribution… 

If Rice and Phillips both start on Tuesday Southgate is actually clueless. He has to play Grealish.

Gary Neville is a fraud, he was good on Sky when he had 2 days preparation. Took over Valencia and was found out

Mings is apparently the reason England play 2 defensive midfielders, Villa went from 2nd worst defence to 4th or 5th best with no real defensive midfielder playing weekly 

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They arent the worst but probably worst coached. Sancho, Jack and Bellingham have probably played 45 minutes between them compared to Sterling, Kane, Rice and Foden who did **** all. Good international managers make big calls and Southgate wont

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The logic that Sancho isn't playing because he hasn't got tournament experience. Still can't find over it. 

How exactly will he gain it then gareth? 

Makes absolutely no sense. 

The implication that a guy who plays for an elite european club and has done for years, and has played at the absolute top level in the Champions league, isn't ready for a game against Scotland, a team full of championship and League 1 standard players.

Yet Bellingham and Foden are?

I wish he'd just be honest.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The implication that a guy who plays for an elite european club and has done for years, and has played at the absolute top level in the Champions league, isn't ready for a game against Scotland, a team full of championship and League 1 standard players.

Part of me is glad that he's moved away from bullshitting over grealish 

The feeling sorry for Jack, villa, myself etc with him not playing because he wasn't fast enough, or didn't press enough, or played in the championship or whatever else he made up... When I see stupid comments like the sancho one I know that I wasn't exaggerating it with c&b specs on

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

*Literally no-one* in Scotland's squad had 'big tournament experience'!

Just a baffling thing to say.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

The more I think about it the more I am wondering if the England's poor performances are down to simply Southgate losing the dressing room.

I said before, the players must be baffled. Can you imagine their faces when he said he was gonna play Trippier at LB in the first game and Chilwell didn’t even make the 23? 
Jack gets MOTM in every England game and can’t get on the pitch.
They must all be saying to each other that he’s clueless.

• Like 2

Â