VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

I noticed that happen to me, maybe about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd say I went from about 70% male artists to the flip of that. I dunno if it's just a thirst for "new". I think it probably is, with me.

Yeah, that’s probably right. And previously probably underestimating female singers. Which is embarrassing, of course. 

• Like 1

The Rolling Stones YouTube channel contains some great stuff. '72 USA tour film is particularly good. Peak Stones and well before Jagger began shouting the lyrics instead of singing them. Watts was indeed the glue to those early 70s performances. A real deft touch. 

• Like 1

I watched Walls Tumble Down video by Style Council last night and it seemed so weird and cold and disconnected. I had a friend who played them a lot back in that era and I thought it was ok but I think it's aged really badly. 

29 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yeah, that’s probably right. And previously probably underestimating female singers. Which is embarrassing, of course. 

I love Sade and I'm not embarrassed to admit it.

Abba previewed some new music and the promise of a 10 track album coming in November. Be interesting to see where it fits in their catalogue, if its 10 offcuts from Chess or something better. I will buy it regardless. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If they did a tour it would be huge. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I can't see it happening but they are doing virtual concerts. 

The possibility is remote.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If they did a tour it would be huge. 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I can't see it happening but they are doing virtual concerts. 

What they have done is recorded a concert now, with all their new and old songs whilst wearing those VR suits with all the dots.  They used 160 cameras or something.  Now that performance is having their 1970's selves superimposed onto it and..... Get this... They are actually building a bespoke 3,000 seat ABBA theatre at The Olympic Park just to show the holographic concert.  I assume it will therefore be running there for years or something. 

We truly are living in the future, it's the most sci-fi thing I've ever heard. 

Imagine being able to build your own theatre and not even needing to turn up to sell tickets!  It's impressive branding. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

What they have done is recorded a concert now, with all their new and old songs whilst wearing those VR suits with all the dots.  They used 160 cameras or something.  Now that performance is having their 1970's selves superimposed onto it and..... Get this... They are actually building a bespoke 3,000 seat ABBA theatre at The Olympic Park just to show the holographic concert.  I assume it will therefore be running there for years or something. 

We truly are living in the future, it's the most sci-fi thing I've ever heard. 

Imagine being able to build your own theatre and not even needing to turn up to sell tickets!  It's impressive branding. 

Kraftwerk could probably piggyback this idea with very little extra work required. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Kraftwerk could probably piggyback this idea with very little extra work required. 

I was thinking Queen could bring Freddie back and do a concert just for you 😂😂

11 hours ago, bickster said:

I’m at a Peaky Blinders bar for a 50th and the covers band that are on are dreadful… still better than Queen

Never mind, treat yourself to these. £155 each: 

Screenshot_2021-09-04-09-00-32-73_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, bickster said:

I’m at a Peaky Blinders bar for a 50th and the covers band that are on are dreadful… still better than Queen

I think I’m up Liverpool end of October. It’s our anniversary that month and the missus wants to go to Liverpool as she hasn’t been before. There’s also an Elton John tribute on that she wants to go and see. 

Â