VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I know the Lennon stories and you wouldn't want him as a friend if all of the stories are to be believed. I am ok with most of it, but not all. It hasn't stopped me loving his music. 

My least favourite Beatle, depending on the day could be any of them. Probably McCartney today as inexplicably Seaside Woman has popped into my head. 

• Like 1

That Nirvana Unplugged album is their worst. By a margin. By a long margin. Made for a pop market. **** ghastly. 

Not a dig at you Ruge, just reminded me of my unpopular opinion. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Surprisingly Lennon got addicted to heroin but he was fortunate in a way because he was buying crap heroin that wasn’t very strong so he managed to kick the habit easier than if he was buying top grade stuff like you’d think he’d be able to get. He definitely came across all ego like. I’d heard about him being violent to women . As for shagging about , well that’s expected from a globe travelling rock star . I did find his stop the war period very pretentious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That Nirvana Unplugged album is their worst. By a margin. By a long margin. Made for a pop market. **** ghastly. 

I also hate that they kind of own The Man Who Sold The World from that album, it was proclaimed as genius, totally reinventing the song etc. Nothing could be further from the truth, as it happens the Bowie version was on the radio the other day and my immediate thought was that it was so much better than the Nirvana version, which despite the critical acclaim afforded it was just a straight up cover with none of the complexity of the original

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Surprisingly Lennon got addicted to heroin but he was fortunate in a way because he was buying crap heroin that wasn’t very strong so he managed to kick the habit easier than if he was buying top grade stuff like you’d think he’d be able to get. He definitely came across all ego like. I’d heard about him being violent to women . As for shagging about , well that’s expected from a globe travelling rock star . I did find his stop the war period very pretentious.

Imagine all the people :o.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Will listen shortly . Ozzy wasn’t always the loveable rogue he’s portrayed to be. Left his wife and kids behind and cut contact with them, before then starting up another family with Sharon. He was violent to Sharon years ago, although she gave as good as she got. Animal cruelty when intoxicated. Bad treatment of ex band mates left a bad taste in my mouth. His love of Randy Rhodes I won’t question but when Randy wanted to leave the mad circus behind Ozzy hit him. Not running him down as I love Ozzy and I’ve done some of those bad things, but it’s amazing what we forgive our heroes for. Plenty of rock stars from the 60s-70s etc were sleeping with young girls not old enough to give consent . 

• Like 1

Yeah I think that podcast strikes up a decent balance, it doesn't slag them off because he knows that these guys are loved but he explores the darker side of them

There's a really good one about why Marvin Gayes dad shot him and I think the Sam Cooke one is good too

• Like 1

McCartney was the most disliked Beatle. The received wisdom went something like: 

Lennon - cruel, cynical, sarcastic, but 'arty', anti-establishment and making harder-edged music, therefore hip and cool. 

McCartney - maker of soft MOR music liked by mums and dads, therefore despicable. 

Harrison - quiet and weird, what with the Indian music, therefore jury out. 

Starr - loveable idiot. 

All completely wide of the mark. McCartney, for example, was WAY more into the avant-garde arts scene than Lennon (until Yoko dragged him into it).  The young Harrison was a violent thug (he embraced the meditation thing as a way of calming himself down). 

They were what they were - a bunch of very talented scallies who got lucky. For my generation, the music is central and timeless, but I don't feel obliged to put them on a pedestal as people. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I also hate that they kind of own The Man Who Sold The World from that album, it was proclaimed as genius, totally reinventing the song etc. Nothing could be further from the truth, as it happens the Bowie version was on the radio the other day and my immediate thought was that it was so much better than the Nirvana version, which despite the critical acclaim afforded it was just a straight up cover with none of the complexity of the original

I like both versions. Superb original, really good cover.

And I'm with Ruge, that MTV unplugged album is really good. Obviously not the energy of the fully plugged in band, but it showed a different side to them and kind of exposed the excellence of the songs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I like both versions. Superb original, really good cover.

And I'm with Ruge, that MTV unplugged album is really good. Obviously not the energy of the fully plugged in band, but it showed a different side to them and kind of exposed the excellence of the songs.

That’s my go to  album when I fancy listening to Nirvana

Edited by Rugeley Villa

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Lulu>Bowie>Kurt

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Will listen shortly . Ozzy wasn’t always the loveable rogue he’s portrayed to be. Left his wife and kids behind and cut contact with them, before then starting up another family with Sharon. He was violent to Sharon years ago, although she gave as good as she got. Animal cruelty when intoxicated. Bad treatment of ex band mates left a bad taste in my mouth. His love of Randy Rhodes I won’t question but when Randy wanted to leave the mad circus behind Ozzy hit him. Not running him down as I love Ozzy and I’ve done some of those bad things, but it’s amazing what we forgive our heroes for. Plenty of rock stars from the 60s-70s etc were sleeping with young girls not old enough to give consent . 

Gruf Rhys of Super Furry Animals quite blatantly and knowingly queue jumped me outside Spillers Records during the pandemic.

17 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Lulu>Bowie>Kurt

Not sure I've ever heard the Lulu version until now, just chucked it on

Good lord no, she has an annoying squeak when she sings Your face... Too Face, it sounds like a hiccup at the end of each phrase. Noooooo

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

it’s amazing what we forgive our heroes for. Plenty of rock stars from the 60s-70s etc were sleeping with young girls not old enough to give consent . 

Dennis Wilson did all kinds of shit in his day, I still think he's fantastic though. Impregnating and marrying Mike Love's alleged illegitimate daughter when she was a teen and he was 39 was the icing on the cake :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Gruf Rhys of Super Furry Animals quite blatantly and knowingly queue jumped me outside Spillers Records during the pandemic.

Self entitled rock stars , eh . Or did you feel honoured that he noticed you? 

16 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Dennis Wilson did all kinds of shit in his day, I still think he's fantastic though. Impregnating and marrying Mike Love's alleged illegitimate daughter when she was a teen and he was 39 was the icing on the cake :)

My missus can’t understand why I like Jimmy Page so much . She read a few articles on him about his escapades in the 70s involving shall we say younger groupies and she’s disgusted by him, although no doubt some of her favourite musicians were as bad. It was the 70s and he was in the biggest rock band in the world I tell her, what was he going to do, go to bed early and count his money every night ? He’s still the baddest coolest guitar player that ever lived IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Self entitled rock stars , eh . Or did you feel honoured that he noticed you? 

We had done the raised eyebrow ‘howdy’ of recognition, I had left him alone rather than fanboy him, I’ve done that before long ago when I interviewed him for a fanzine piece.

But he had his kids with him. One was of an age where they announced ‘watch this’ and then ran face first full speed in to the shopfront glass. So the kid was now crying unconsolably and making a bit of a scene. 

So I’d have let him queue jump anyway. But he didn’t give me the chance to nod him through, he just went for it.

• Like 1

The missus decided we needed to get out more, so we're going on little day trips on a Sunday.

Last week I chose this "Antique Centre" out in the wilds on Lancashire and she realised why when we got there, yep they have stalls selling vinyl

This week was her choice, we're going for a walk up Moel Famau.

The record bag is packed, she will not defeat me. One wrong turn and we'll be in Cobb records in Porthmadoc  (or theres always Chester) :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bob Dylan accused of sexually abusing a 12-year-old in 1965

A new lawsuit alleges that Bob Dylan, the Nobel-winning folk singer-songwriter, plied a 12-year-old girl with drugs and alcohol before sexually abusing her in 1965.

The lawsuit alleges that the Times They Are A-Changin’ singer “befriended and established an emotional connection with the plaintiff”, identified in Manhattan supreme court papers, obtained by the Guardian, only as “JC” and groomed her over the course of six weeks in April and May 1965.

Don't know that much about Dylan to really know whether there would be any truth to this or not, but know there are 1 or 2 fans on here of his work... 

Â