VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Why so many ‘music connoisseurs’ dismiss metal music out of hand when it generally requires much more technically proficiency to play. 

Because response to music for most people is emotional rather than intellectual. Technical proficiency is pretty much irrelevant as a indicator of 'enjoyability'. I can admire the skills of a 'shredding' guitarist, but I'd far rather listen to someone playing simpler music, with 'feeling'. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Spent the last year looking forward to seeing a particular band live and then went to the wrong fricking stage and missed them.

What a dick I am.

Who? I mean which band (not guessing The Who?!)

Edited by theboyangel

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The Orielles, at the neighbourhood weekender in Warrington. Devo’d although we did watch reverend and the makers instead who were very good 

Good band, quite like The Orielles! hopefully there’ll be another time to see them! 

• Like 2

Fleetwood Mac are a band I have no interest in.

No interest to the point I have just discovered in the last 5 minutes that Lindsey Buckingham is a man. I’d always presumed it was the woman, the one with the flouncy black lacy shawl in the little video clip they always show when referencing Fleetwood Mac.

I’ll give them a swerve if ever they are a category the week I’m on Pointless.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Fleetwood Mac are a band I have no interest in.

No interest to the point I have just discovered in the last 5 minutes that Lindsey Buckingham is a man. I’d always presumed it was the woman, the one with the flouncy black lacy shawl in the little video clip they always show when referencing Fleetwood Mac.

That's Stevie. Who you probably thought was the bloke. 

At least the piano player has a sensible name like Christine (she's a Brummie). 

• Like 1

That would make sense, if one of them is called Stevie my 1970’s view of the world would cause me to presume that was a fella, so by deduction the other one was the lady.

Never presume. It’s a crazy mixed up world out there kids, and all the better for it.

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

True punk lyrics...

Golden oldies, Rolling Stones
We don't want them back
I'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac
No heavy metal, rock'n'roll
Music from the past
I'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac

Dunno which profound genius wrote that, but therein lay the fatal flaw in the punk mentality: "music from the past" = "bad". Hasn't aged well, has it? 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

therein lay the fatal flaw in the punk mentality: "music from the past" = "bad". Hasn't aged well, has it? 

I don't even think it was genuine. It was an affectation (if that's the right word).

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Dunno which profound genius wrote that, but therein lay the fatal flaw in the punk mentality: "music from the past" = "bad". Hasn't aged well, has it? 

Wasn't actually a punk track. It was the Stock, Aitken and Waterman produced...

On 04/09/2021 at 22:01, Wainy316 said:

Why so many ‘music connoisseurs’ dismiss metal music out of hand when it generally requires much more technically proficiency to play. 

I was a true metal head in my teens. Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, Dio, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Ozzy. All the 80s metal bands. Saw them live. 

But I grew out of it by the time I turned 20. For me, metal is for teenagers and 20s people. I still respect what it is, but there is so much more interesting music out there to enjoy than the head banging shredder stuff. 

• Like 1

Â