VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

YouTube chucked this guy up for me today, and I've discovered as a result that music production is exceptionally nuanced and complex.

It's interesting to hear someone who knows about the production, the techy side of music making go through and analyse the things that are going on that you might not even really be aware of.

• Like 2

Iron Man comes across really simple and it is for the most part but I’ve heard a few times from musicians that the way the band turn back on to a riff just after the solo without missing a beat is very hard to nail properly . Sabbath had a lot of tempo changes in their songs, which kept it interesting .

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's like he's trying to suppress sounding like The Smiths whereas the single I posted is the complete opposite

Yes. I listened to it all the way through, mores the pity. It's Morrissey singing Neil Hannons lyrics. 

• Like 1

Started a new podcast called the history of rock through 500 songs, I skipped the first 90 odd that were about songs in the 40s and 50s...I'm happy skipping artists I've outright never heard of before or known I've got no interest in 

Its pretty good, around 45 mins an episode with loads of depth, last couple of days I've done Sam Cooke change gonna come, supremes where did our love go, the kinks really got got me, couple of beatles songs, the ronettes be my baby, story behind the artist, the song, usually their record deal and how the song was written, published etc and then in the case of someone like the ronettes who he won't revisit in the future he details what they did after the song too

I'm aware that the "rock" in the title is a bit of a stretch but he talks a lot about influences so if he throws a motown song in there personally I really like that but then in later episodes he does link it to how it's influenced the beatles or how "proper" rock artists still tried to replicate say Phil Spector so the stories do need telling 

He's up to about 130 and I think does a couple of songs a fortnight, so it's nowhere near finished

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

skipped the first 90 odd that were about songs in the 40s and 50s...I'm happy skipping artists I've outright never heard of before

You'll never know what you're missing. It's the joy of discovery. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm aware that the "rock" in the title is a bit of a stretch but he talks a lot about influences so if he throws a motown song in there personally I really like that but then in later episodes he does link it to how it's influenced the beatles or how "proper" rock artists still tried to replicate say Phil Spector so the stories do need telling 

Genres. In my head (and my CD filing system) there are only three: classical, jazz and rock. 'Rock' covers everything that isn't jazz or classical. Blues, Motown, country, metal, reggae, pop, prog, whatever. It's all interrelated. 

• Like 1

It’s one of my problems with larger record shops, or shops where the owner has too much time on their hands and they’ve tried to genre their wares.

It would have to be a very long and very boring day for me to ever bother flicking through the ‘rock’ or ‘metal’ sections of a record shop. But then, when its a bit more random, they’ll be forced to stick Lou Reed & Metallica under ‘L’ and I’ll find it and buy it out of curiosity and I really really like that album. Apparently its not much liked by Lou Reed fans and not much liked by metal fans, but there are a couple of tracks on there I think are great. I’d never have known it existed if every shop had a metal section.

Where do you put the London Symphony box set of Tommy? Is that going in orchestral/classical? Rock? Musicals? Box Sets? 

My regular shop has three categories for vinyl: Main section is alphabetical, next section is ‘Welsh interest’ whatever that covers, and then the third is the ‘shelf of shame’ where the clearance stock goes. That feels about right for me, I can cope with that many choices.

But yeah, switching straight passed the 40’s and 50’s you’re going to miss some great stuff. My first records were hand me downs, Bo Diddley, Elvis, Eddie Cochran. Looking back, I now realise my parents started off quite cool.

Imagine skipping past Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Where do you put the London Symphony box set of Tommy? Is that going in orchestral/classical? Rock? Musicals? Box Sets? 

The bin

Probe is roughly a-z in the main section but at O there will be a section for Oh Sees where all the John Dwyer related stuff goes, same in the S section for Ty Segall

Then theres a few other sections like Reggae / Jazz / Krautrock / 60's Compilations / Soundtracks

There's a 2nd hand shop in Southport that has everything side on in shelves that make corridoors piled up to the ceiling. It's absolutely impossible to browse anything, you have to go in with a list otherwise you'll never find anything

Look at the state of this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

In a shop as a back catalogue item, the LSO section in your Classical dept. Different rules for new releases.

At home my boxes are together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Where do you put the London Symphony box set of Tommy? Is that going in orchestral/classical? Rock?

Well, I wouldn't buy it, but if I did, it would probably be filed with the classical stuff. Which is ordered by composer, so I suppose under T for Townshend. I do own The Orchestral Tubular Bells, which is with the classical 'O's. Oldfield's original is in the rock section, also under O. 

My new vinyl rearrangement may well put them in sections to a degree because there is definitely a problem I'm encountering, I want to listen to ***That album*** WTF were they called again (This is where the Chris method is useful) or I want something to suit a mood and I can't decide what exactly so I'm thinking of putting all the ON-U Sound in one section / Any other Reggae and related in another / Jazz & Soul - I don't have THAT much for a section each / Soundtrack & Classical in another (But Mogwai and The Liminanas would stay under the band in general). Then I have to decide if 12" SIngles get split from Albums (My current thinking is yes)

Â