VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

When I was a kid, we had a Library van that used to come around every week.

The van had a tiny music section of records and tapes, and later, CD’s.

Whoever was stocking the van was massively in to John Mayall and Alexis Korner and I would just rotate whatever was on the van each week. 

God bless library vans.

• Like 1

^^^^^ Yep , a great LP and as you say, Mick Taylor on guitar. Some class musos on that LP including the brilliant Jon Hiseman RIP. I THINK this was after Clapton had left Mayall to form Cream - but may be wrong.

5 hours ago, veloman said:

^^^^^ Yep , a great LP and as you say, Mick Taylor on guitar. Some class musos on that LP including the brilliant Jon Hiseman RIP. I THINK this was after Clapton had left Mayall to form Cream - but may be wrong.

It was. Mayall's lead guitarists went: Eric Clapton --> Peter Green --> Mick Taylor.  

• Like 1

Watched the Sky Arts documentary on The Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society", with various rock stars gushing over what an underrated masterpiece it was. This may be one for the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, but I think it's massively overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love The Kinks and I think Ray Davies is one of our greatest songwriters, but - much like Creedence Clearwater Revival in the U.S. - they were resolutely a great singles band, that never released a wholly satisfying album (1971's 'Muswell Hillbillies' maybe came closest). IMHO, there's not one track on VGPS that would have cut it as a single (the superlative 45 'Days' was recorded at the same sessions and left off the LP). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

IMHO, there's not one track on VGPS that would have cut it as a single

Not a defence of the record as such but why is that important? I can think of plenty of great albums that don't have obvious singles on them yet they are still great albums

I get that the Kinks are very much in the pop bracket and pop by its very nature generally means singles but is it that important?

Not sure I've ever listened to VGPS tbh as the Kinks tends to be a Greatest Hits kind of band for me

• Like 1

I think part of the problem, is that Sky Arts and BBC 4 have a lot of space to fill and talking about an album is an easy hit at a time in the schedule when a bunch of old blokes are channel hopping.

Then you have the same problem Sky Sports get in to, everything has to be better than everything else. No band can be ‘perfectly good’ just as no 0:0 can be mediocre.

Write one decent tune 45 years ago and BBC 4 will find someone prepared to declare it a work of genius.

As it happens, I listened to the album Village Green quite a few times a few weeks back. It’s a good album, it’s in the house under the stereo so clearly I like it enough for it to be easily accessible. It wouldn’t be anywhere near my top 10, it might be somewhere in my top 100, but I’m glad I have a copy.

It’s just a bit tricky to pitch that statement to a TV exec..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Watched the Sky Arts documentary on The Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society", with various rock stars gushing over what an underrated masterpiece it was. This may be one for the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, but I think it's massively overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love The Kinks and I think Ray Davies is one of our greatest songwriters, but - much like Creedence Clearwater Revival in the U.S. - they were resolutely a great singles band, that never released a wholly satisfying album (1971's 'Muswell Hillbillies' maybe came closest). IMHO, there's not one track on VGPS that would have cut it as a single (the superlative 45 'Days' was recorded at the same sessions and left off the LP). 

I watched this and largely enjoyed it.

But I’m also little less bothered about the “god save Donald Duck” stuff so could only go along with the adulation to a point.

There’s “Ray Davies : Imaginary Man”, which was on the BBC about ten years ago. That’s on YouTube, definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it, some tiny bits of old footage littered throughout which in itself is interesting. Although you may need the sound up as Ray can mumble a bit.

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

@Xeladoesn't time fly!

Crazy how it does!

I remember discussing this album with a mate in the Station pub in Sutton, in summer 95 (I didn't get the album straight away!).

Lifetime ago now.

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

Crazy how it does!

I remember discussing this album with a mate in the Station pub in Sutton, in summer 95 (I didn't get the album straight away!).

Lifetime ago now.

Yeah sounds similar to me - in that I remember in '95 loving some of the tunes.

Over a quarter of a century a go though - crazy stuff!

One for Mr Mooney (and anyone else wo might be interested.. I think you said your daughter plays; can't remember if it was bass but take a look at this young lady. I would have given a lot to have  played with a bass player of this type and class. She is brilliant I thought. Opinion ?

12 minutes ago, veloman said:

One for Mr Mooney (and anyone else wo might be interested.. I think you said your daughter plays; can't remember if it was bass but take a look at this young lady. I would have given a lot to have  played with a bass player of this type and class. She is brilliant I thought. Opinion ?

My daughter's a drummer. Could do with a bass player in the family. 

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My daughter's a drummer. Could do with a bass player in the family. 

Ah ! Excellent- that's the most important instrument :) . What kit/cymbals does she have ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Ah ! Excellent- that's the most important instrument :) . What kit/cymbals does she have ?

You'll probably disapprove, but only an electronic kit atm, I'm afraid. Small house, thin walls, no option really. 

No not disapprove at all; damn good option. I have never played such a kit but once played in a small studio for a lady who was recording a demo. Studio had those 'Simmonds' drums that can be heard at the start of East Enders. Certainly had a lot of attack. (record came to nothing !!!!). 

Eric Clapton is very hit and miss for me. The solo on Crossroads live is one of my favourites and his wah wah solos on White Room is again some of my favourite lead guitar playing . He should have remained heavy IMO . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

Traditionally, my record collection must have been at least 95 per cent male singers. In recent months, this has been shifting quite drastically. I think my top three played artists right now are Japanese Breakfast, Phoebe Bridgers and Wolf Alice. And then there’s this, which I think is a near perfect pop song:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Traditionally, my record collection must have been at least 95 per cent male singers. In recent months, this has been shifting quite drastically.

I noticed that happen to me, maybe about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd say I went from about 70% male artists to the flip of that. I dunno if it's just a thirst for "new". I think it probably is, with me.

• Like 1

Â