VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think I may have mentioned in the Crap Claims to Fame thread that I've seen Nick Drake's sister naked. 

It’s not often I use the shocked reaction  Michael.

I’m resisting the temptation to make a “Pink Moon” gag…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm the same, can't get in to him, he's a rapper singer popstar, would say post malone is very similar (but drake at least raps a bit more) and it does nothing for me, lyrics or beats 

As pop songs they do have some decent songs, circles by post malone for example, one dance was OK but overplayed, but neither or "proper" rap for me 

I think Drake suffers from putting out an absolutely shit load of music so he’s a little inaccessible. 

But when he’s good he’s **** good

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I saw a pic of Post Malone and assumed he was some metal guy then when I put a song on it was whiny, auto tune guff that I’d expect 14 year old girls to listen to.

My mate is really in to him partly because PM did a Dylan cover early doors, was trying to convince me that he's a modern day rock star, headlining festivals, plays the guitar, his musical background, writing and producing his own stuff etc 

I was struggling to argue that he's wrong when he's up against the likes of imagine dragons and the 1975...

Sunflower and circles are great songs, great pop songs though 

Some of you will be aware that my music of choice is country music. I like most kinds, my preference over all is what is called neo traditional, its basically men in cowboy hats that carry out a modern take on the traditional sounds, Alan Jackson being an example. Its not limited to that though as I like mainstream country music, sometimes at the poppier end of the genre. It's a bit of a juxtaposition when I am on one hand a Johnny Cash obsessive but on the other love Taylor Swift. Now as a result I am fairly tolerant of the modern chart country, I can sit and listen to it without being judgmental, as one of the specific reasons I listen to this stuff is that it is without pretention. I accept it all and that which I don't like, I ignore and move on to the next thing.
Today I heard this abomination for the first time, this is "country music". It's the most heinously awful song I have ever heard that has been released to country radio. I appreciate you don't have a bench mark to measure it against as for most country music is Dolly and Johnny. I get that and even those that like country music may not be au fait with what is in the top 20 country chart. This though, this is a new low, the nadir of the genre. Appalling. Give it a blast, listen to the lyrics, revel in its pissing on the corpse of Hank Williams. It currently sits at number 1 in the country charts. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Some of you will be aware that my music of choice is country music. I like most kinds, my preference over all is what is called neo traditional, its basically men in cowboy hats that carry out a modern take on the traditional sounds, Alan Jackson being an example. Its not limited to that though as I like mainstream country music, sometimes at the poppier end of the genre. It's a bit of a juxtaposition when I am on one hand a Johnny Cash obsessive but on the other love Taylor Swift. Now as a result I am fairly tolerant of the modern chart country, I can sit and listen to it without being judgmental, as one of the specific reasons I listen to this stuff is that it is without pretention. I accept it all and that which I don't like, I ignore and move on to the next thing.
Today I heard this abomination for the first time, this is "country music". It's the most heinously awful song I have ever heard that has been released to country radio. I appreciate you don't have a bench mark to measure it against as for most country music is Dolly and Johnny. I get that and even those that like country music may not be au fait with what is in the top 20 country chart. This though, this is a new low, the nadir of the genre. Appalling. Give it a blast, listen to the lyrics, revel in its pissing on the corpse of Hank Williams. It currently sits at number 1 in the country charts. 

How much is it earning in endorsements? It even manages to get a brand of chewing tobacco in there

Its much better when they confess the way they make love to their tractor or horse

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

How much is it earning in endorsements? It even manages to get a brand of chewing tobacco in there

Its much better when they confess the way they make love to their tractor or horse

From what I read Applebees in particular have paid. I can take sexy tractors and horses over this. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Absolutely pathetic. I hate 'pop country' like this. Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, and all the rest who sing this kind of crap.

My current favorite singer is Chris Stapleton. That dude could sing about literally anything and I'd listen to it

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

I appreciate authentic Country music. Never my first choice, but I enjoy a little every now and then. 

I think there's always been tension between whatever is considered "real Country" and whatever is contemporary at the time. Traditionalists couldn't stand Garth Brooks, but he sounds like Hank Williams compared to these frat boy douchebags like Luke Bryan. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I appreciate authentic Country music. Never my first choice, but I enjoy a little every now and then. 

I think there's always been tension between whatever is considered "real Country" and whatever is contemporary at the time. Traditionalists couldn't stand Garth Brooks, but he sounds like Hank Williams compared to these frat boy douchebags like Luke Bryan. 

Yeah singers like Luke Bryan just really irritate me. Just seems like his songs and other similar ones, are geared more towards women and younger males versus performers like Chris Stapleton.

If anyone is taking the mantle if you will that Johnny Cash left behind I truly do believe it is CS. That is how much I respect and like the dude's stuff

Edited by Big Salad

11 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Yeah singers like Luke Bryan just really irritate me. Just seems like his songs and other similar ones, are geared more towards women and younger males versus performers like Chris Stapleton.

If anyone is taking the mantle if you will that Johnny Cash left behind I truly do believe it is CS. That is how much I respect and like the dude's stuff

I don't actually class Stapleton as Country. He's more Memphis than Nashville IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I don't actually class Stapleton as Country. He's more Memphis than Nashville IMO. 

Fair enough pal. I just think he has the most old-school country vibe among current country stars if that makes sense

Edited by Big Salad

Just now, Big Salad said:

Fair enough pal. I just think he has the most old-school country vibe among current country stars if that makes sense

Yeah, he has talent! Also has the outlaw look down. 

• Like 1

Â