VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like Stapleton a lot. Even if "Tennessee Whiskey" is a note-for-note lift of Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind". 

I have the George Jones version, it's cadence isn't as lilting as Stapleton's version and moves it a little away from the Etta James comparison particularly with its arrangement. 

Edited by Seat68

7 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I thought that closed about 10 years ago?! Just googled and suggests it shut in 2014 but there’s still a website?

Yep. that's what I found out too, it's been online only for years (and that website is dreadful)

38 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Almost as bad as the Birmingham Mail website. Almost.

Reach PLCs Websites are all the same template, it's not just the Meaning Evil, it's the comapny's entire portfolio

Someone in Liverpool has mirrored the Echo's entire content and publishes it with the same URLs except they replace Echo with Gecko. Just plain text and images, no adverts. Massively infringes copyright but it's been going at least 3 years and they don't seem to have done a thing about it. But at least you can read the clickbait shite without your browser crashing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

As mentioned in an episode of the Chart Music podcast recently, Elton John these days is like Vic Reeves pub singer sketch. It's just overwrought tuneless garbage.

He must be making some millions from this goodbye yellow brick road tour, I know its been impacted by corona but it'll be going on for 5 years, 131 shows left including coming to Germany 3 times, he's already done 180 shows grossing an approx $360m according to wiki

Then in the same time frame throw in a new album, this new lockdown sessions album, a live album (from 1979, the new tour album hasn't been announced yet but its inevitable) the royalties from the live action lion King album, a compilation album, 2 "reimagining" albums, the rocketman film and soundtrack

That's a serious pre retirement push

Missus had tickets at brum for Elton. Been cancelled or put back, or whatever . She’s going to see him at Hyde Park next year now. She asked if I wanted to go, her mum is paying. Honestly can’t be arsed . Don’t mind the odd Elton song , but no desire to go out of my way and watch him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Missus had tickets at brum for Elton. Been cancelled or put back, or whatever . She’s going to see him at Hyde Park next year now. She asked if I wanted to go, her mum is paying. Honestly can’t be arsed . Don’t mind the odd Elton song , but no desire to go out of my way and watch him. 

Its BST festival, Ray Davies and elvis costello 

Decent little one day festival ruined by a horrible crowd from my experience, lots of talkers and people who are there so that they can say that they went 

I went in 2014 for the libertines, supported by the pogues, maximo Park, the view, the twang, the rifles, must have been one of wolf Alice's first big shows too... **** me I was drunk 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Decent little one day festival ruined by a horrible crowd from my experience, lots of talkers and people who are there so that they can say that they went 

I went in 2014 for the libertines, supported by the pogues, maximo Park, the view, the twang, the rifles, must have been one of wolf Alice's first big shows too... **** me I was drunk 

I had tickets to Taylor Swifts last year. It was cancelled obviously. (By using the word tickets it makes it look like I had friends or a wife that would entertain this, it was a ticket)

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah my missus went the other year with her mum to watch Stevie Wonder . She likes the atmosphere and vibe, and describes it as very chilled. That alone puts me off and I don’t think I’d like that kind of atmosphere .

11 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah my missus went the other year with her mum to watch Stevie Wonder . She likes the atmosphere and vibe, and describes it as very chilled. That alone puts me off and I don’t think I’d like that kind of atmosphere .

You wouldn't like the Cambridge Folk Festival, then. On Sunday morning, they apparently broadcast The Archers Omnibus over the P.A. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You wouldn't like the Cambridge Folk Festival, then. On Sunday morning, they apparently broadcast The Archers Omnibus over the P.A. 

I went one year, mid 90s, essentially to see Billy Bragg. In addition saw Waterson Carthy amongst others. I was blown away by how sedate it was. Completely lovely and complete antithesis of other festivals I had been to at that point. Also set in beautiful grounds. 

• Like 1

Â