Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/21 at 22:59

Well that made a nice change!

The best team performance for the entire 90 minutes since Jacks absence. We could have been out of sight with a bit more luck or a lesser performance by Pickford. Well played keeper. Ollie ran his little socks off again tonight but also looked a lot sharper than in some recent games.

Cash really does give us another dimension when he is on his game and finding space. Much better passing and movement tonight, it's a simple game.

Corners still worry me but hopefully we will sort it out. Really concerned when I saw McGinn picking up DC-L!

Lots of good performances across team and a stunning goal by El Goalsey! Also apologies to the boss for my doubts at the line-up but it worked tonight.

Now to turn this into a very good season can we please beat United next week!

Onwards and enjoy the rest of the BH weekend!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Not understanding the criticism McGinn is getting tonight. We were deserved winners tonight and every player played their part. 

He gave the ball away really badly once, but apart from that he was my MOTM to be honest. I thought he was excellent (and I think he's been shit for a while!)

• Like 1

Don't have BT. Usually when games are on I'll watch at a mates or get the highlights on the sky app minutes after full time. Was wondering this evening why the sky highlights wasn't coming up. This social media ban!!. Can't see the goals. Just loads if click bait on YouTube and you are directed to a fifa game in Arabic of Everton v Villa.

What's most pleasing is that we've shown that even without Jack we can go up against a team like Everton and not only match them, but win. 

We're not far away from being a decent Premier League team even without Jack.  Just need some more creativity and depth. Need to score more when we're playing well. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Barkley wasn't involved in any of our good chances. I didn't see him for the last 20 minutes of the game. 

In injury time he was the one who worked back to put a foot in and kill their last real break. Admittedly not a sentence I expected to write.

• Like 1

That was about as satisfying as the 2-3 result against them in 2008.

Also highlighting how seemingly random football is. The two latest matches, and especially today, the team has been almost transformed. Suddenly the drive, hunger and forward leaning attitude from early season is back. Is there yet to be a final twist this season?

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Best performance in ages, turn on MOTD to find that the only thing they’re interested In talking about is OW vs DCL for the Euros (spoiler-they pick DCL). 

They’ll both go.

• Like 2

A really good game, which we deserved to win after playing probably our best stuff in months. We looked more like the team we saw before the covid outbreak and before Jack’s injury. Quick passing, daring, almost insisting in our approach, pressing high and as a unit. First half in particular was really, really good, and we should have been out of sight by half time. 

There are probably many reasons why we ‘clicked’ tonight, but the main one must surely be the reemergence of the good version of Ross Barkley. What a performance from the man I was beginning to hope never see play for us again. Really, really terrific. 

Our longest winless run in the league this season is four games, which I'm very pleasantly surprised about! With this win today the longest we can possibly end up with this season is five. When was the last time we went an entire season without going more than four or five matches in a row without a win? I bet it was ages ago, like at least ten years ago (maybe one of the MON seasons, though certainly not his first!) 

Missed the game due to a birthday dinner for a friend so can't really say anything about the game other than that I'm very pleased about the result.

3 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Not sure if it's all fans but the Everton lads I know don't rate DCL as much as outsiders do. Maybe he's a bit of a highlights reel player. 

Sure it’s the same with our players eh. Talk to a non-Villa fan and McGinn is sensational. Come on here and he’s Chanpionship standard.

I just discovered an interesting stat, according to Sky Sports no team has hit the woodwork in the PL this season more times than us! 20 times!

So close 20 times! :s

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

Villa made Everton look pretty average tonight, well done our lads and Dean Smith.

Sure I read a statistic they have spent an awful lot of money the last few years only less than the obvious four or five teams.

Ollie Watkins has to be MOTM for me, tirelessly worked from the moment the game started and could have easily scored more. Watkins seems to be learning fast, he's holding the ball up quicker, tries to get shots away more and he's being more direct.

After that Barkley was much better tonight and his best match for a long time, highest percentage of passes completed for Villa too.

El Ghazi played well too in general, tried again and again to take players on and his goal was a thing of beauty. Can't argue with his stats at all.

Traore again hot and cold but another assist, he can hurt teams. He shows sublime skill one minute and loses the ball too easily the next, hopefully he pushes on next season.

Luiz and McGinn better although the latter nearly dropped us in it again with a terrible pass to the opposition who very nearly capitalised.

Cash was effective and good to see him back.

Last of all, Dean Smith. Well done, got his tactics right today.

UTV.

Watkins motm great to have a willing centre forward who will chase everything it sort of reminds me of youth football, great performance from him and the rest of the team played great, quite happy to see that sort of football win lose or draw every week 

I suppose on a positive note that we have not played well for months until tonight, yet we still picked up points and stayed well clear of any relegation worries.  We have hardly tanked like Southampton but we have been below par when compared to pre covid january.

With a few additional quality signings in the summer we should really put in a strong run for a Europa league spot  next season and maybe a half decent cup run.

Things are definitely looking up.

Â