Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/21 at 22:59

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hate this team.

Every time I finally sell out, they do something like that.

Overall a great performance, I still get vibes McGinn might eventually be the weakest link.

I'm baffled as to where those performances have been, as we are obviously capable.

Dean proved me wrong tonight and i'm happy he did.

I did get angsty towards the end with no changes but hard not to be pleased!

Well said mate, UTV!

Nice to hit a bit of form towards the end of the season. The end to the West Brom game carried over to this one. 

If we can beat Everton at home, get something from the Utd game and beat Crystal Palace, the Spurs game could become very relevant all of a sudden.

• Like 2

The difference today is the 2 that slow us down released the ball quickly.

That meant Berkley and traore both played well.

Both still have the ball away very cheaply several times but their team contribution today was more than they have managed in the last 8 games combined.

Clearly both been instructed to not hold onto the ball, the result was flowing forward football for the majority of the time. It also meant there was less FFS TRAORE or FFS Berkley because they moved the ball on and we kept momentum.

Luiz seemed the least confident passing but was far more aggressive as was most of the team than the last 4 or so months.

Pass and move, keep the aggression there and we look twice or more better than the passive keep it try too much and give it away nonsense of previous games.

Watkins was my motm, if Berkley hadn't been at fault for their goal, got in the way of a through ball for ollie to out him clean through and given it away 5 or 6 times he would have been my motm.

Well done el ghazi, first half nothing worked apart from effort. Kept the effort and it then went more his way and a great goal.

All in all it was a top performance, much improved and far more aggression. While keeping the same team, the tactics were clearly very different. No more passive play.

2 minutes ago, smg said:

El Ghazi what a load of shit , shouldn’t be picked and if he is should be taken off at half time, I know it’s true saw it on the pre and match thread. Or perhaps we could accept that the players we have may not be world class but are definitely talented enough to play in a team that is trying to move themselves up the hierarchy, it takes time and you need players to help move the team from one level to the next even if it isn’t the highest level you are aspiring for. El Ghazi, Trezeguet, etc are those type of players. We should be thankful for their efforts.

Both AEG and Trez are worth having in the team. They are often very frustrating, but they also score goals when others don't. Eight goals for Anwar, that's a wonderful return for a player who almost never plays a whole game.

• Like 1

Aside from a shakey 5-10 minute period, we controlled most of the second half, we slowed the pace down, worked the channels more and implemented more triangle passes from defence. Everton got annoyed and started committing more fouls. It was a patient and resillent approach.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Watkins or El ghazi deserved MotM. 

Watkins was the bets player in the first half

El Ghazi the best player in the 2nd half.

Mings was great both halves.

When we actually pass and move we create chances for days. 

Unreal goal from anwar and pleased for him but his general play was poor again. One moment of brilliance and thats it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Smash and grab? I didn't see it like that at all, we were the better team.

Yeah the stats with about 15 - 20 minutes to go had us as having 71% of possession in the second half to that point.  Admittedly a fair amount of that was in our own half but it was a pretty dominant performance.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Unreal goal from anwar and pleased for him but his general play was poor again. One moment of brilliance and thats it

That's wrong. He beat about 5 men in the 2nd half. Was at the centre of all our best passing moves. Was key in keeping possession when we were under pressure as he made lots of good passes as they pressed him tightly. Showed for the ball which most of our players don't normally do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Smash and grab? I didn't see it like that at all, we were the better team.

Smashed and grabbed in a poor second half for us, compared to our first half display. 

• Haha 2

Well, we were not on the beach tonight were we? That was Villa back to their best. We fully deserved that win, which takes us back into the top half of the table. Watkins was superb tonight. Cash had a fine return to the side and what a sweet winner from Anwar! That Barclay looked decent tonight too! The whole team was up for it tonight. Well done one and all. :clap:

• Like 3

I think Southampton were hampered by the fact they had to wear Everton  kit and work under a manager they didn’t know.

However, that was an exceptionally fantastic performance that I enjoyed immensely. Hard to pick a MOTM but I guess it has to go to Watkins.

Well done squad & coaching team. A thoroughly committed performance actually focussed on getting a result for once.

Good result and finally a good performance.

It seemed to click tonight, fingers crossed we can carry that into these final 5 games.

Konsa looked a little unsure tonight, maybe a hangover from the WBA game, aside from that I thought everyone else put in a solid showing, save for the usual lapses in concentration.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

... and that moment won us the game. Works for me anytime.

• Like 1

Â