Match Thread: Villa v Man City

limpid

Don't know what we are trying to do when they have possession, almost like we're sacrificing space in order to compact the zone, problem is we're not very good at it and they're too good for it to bother them, they're simply passing it around us, there's always an easy pass on for them, we're chasing shadows not even trying to play football, really disappointing 

Foden once again given the freedom on the pitch vs us he must love it

Our defensive set up is shit, too narrow, too safe, bend don't break and it simply doesn't work because we don't have the energy or discipline 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

With the ball City are on another planet, they're so much better than us they look like they're playing a different sport.

Without it they're nervous, they're rash, they're reckless and they're shaky.

It’s crazy how good they are on the ball.  They are playing fantasy football.  Without the ball they look like they have taken too many drugs and are skittish 

• Like 1

Right we now have a chance to stick it to city and I would most likely make the moves that give us an attacking threat.

Put Davis on to add some bullying and stress.

Just now, PaulC said:

Well if happened against us I would be unhappy but guess things balance themselves out. 

Fair enough. I think it’s as clear a red as you’re likely to see in modern football and would have no complaints if it was given against one of ours. Ramsey was lucky to escape with his knee still in one piece. 

7 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Need to go nakamba off and Davis on... Play long  ball to Davis & ollie.. We might get shine joy against thier defence

Nakamba playing MUCH better than Luiz imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s crazy how good they are on the ball.  They are playing fantasy football.  Without the ball they look like they have taken too many drugs and are skittish 

yes they are good, but we make them look good, 19% possession??, come on thats a joke, we let teams like Man City come on to us, we stand off, dont rough em up, we hoof the ball and it comes straight back, we didnt even try to hold on to the ball.

Yes they are good, but we make them look way better with our poor play!

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes we all know we're crap against 10 men. But against City it's a lifeline. Before that it was finishing 1-6 again. Hey, who knows it might still finish that. But I know I'd rather be facing 10. It will give our players a lift that they badly need. 

Don't get me wrong City are quality all over the field, Foden n Mahrez scare the sh1t out of our team (& us fans), but we need to do better in midfield. Only noticed Nakamba once in that half. Luiz has been dreadful and McGinn not much better (goal aside) he looks gassed! 

We are second to every ball and we look to soft. Lets get amongst them a bit. They won't want to know, days before a cup final 👊

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Take Luiz off, a liability, bring Davis on, and push Ollie wide.

How is Stones in the England set up ahead of Konsa.

Mings has to attack the ball for the 2nd, 1st come from us giving the ball away via Martinez far too cheapley.

Think if Mings does his job, and challenges Rodri, the 2nd doesn't go in.

It also doesn't go in if Martinez stays on his line.

However, if Mings does his job and makes the challenge Martinez doesn't try to come for it.

Martinezs passing jas been attrocious though

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Frigging hell.  Just as the ref started strolling over to the monitor we had a bloody power cut.  Literally everything out and then I couldn't even get bloody mobile data to find out what happened. 

Couldn't even check teletext. 

Bloody Scargill. 

Coal not dole.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Just now, villa4europe said:

Don't know what we are trying to do when they have possession, almost like we're sacrificing space in order to compact the zone, problem is we're not very good at it and they're too good for it to bother them, they're simply passing it around us, there's always an easy pass on for them, we're chasing shadows not even trying to play football, really disappointing 

Foden once again given the freedom on the pitch vs us he must love it

Our defensive set up is shit, too narrow, too safe, bend don't break and it simply doesn't work because we don't have the energy or discipline 

I think it’s because City are playing phenomenal football when they have the ball and the ball is sticking like glue to Foden’s foot.  They have played some incredible football that not many could live with and we are a mid table team just trying to keep up.  One of the best club teams in the world playing some great stuff, it’s hard to stop.  

Thankfully they look a little crazy without the ball so we have to try and take advantage of that but that will be hard because it isn’t often they are without the ball

• Like 1

While man City stepped up the gears, we equally stepped down the gears. I counted 6 or 7 times under no pressure we passed it back to martinez who either hoofed it out of play or gave it to a city player.

Add in the lack of a physical challenge and that sums up both their goals.

Luiz giving the ball away with a lazy pass, then doesn't go for a 50/50 with any conviction gave them goal 2.

It's those small things that winning teams don't do. They don't pull out of a challenge and they don't blindly pass back to the keeper at every opportunity. 

Our fastest goal I can remember and then 6 or so minutes of pressure and looking like we may get another to then standing off and watching them play their passing game for the rest of the half.

definite sending off, lucky not to take the kids knee cap off.

We need more conviction and more concentration which has been the case for a long time. Cut out just giving the ball away the 8 or 10 times per game (mcginn and luiz) and we have a more stable foundation.