Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/21 at 23:59

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

The thing is, McGinn saying stuff like that deflects for his own performances, which are poor. Your comment of, “got to love McGinn”, goes to show this. I’d prefer he did the right things, rather than say popular things.

Nah it's not that deep.

Just meant I loved the honesty, as he said what we all knew. No BS coating over.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Such a lazy arse performance like far too many recently. Has the covid thing affected us more than they are letting on or are there issues behind the scenes?

I was wondering this.  It would be really interesting to know who in the team actually had COVID.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Other teams have had Covid too.

Not dismissing it, but it's not an ultimate excuse either.

A couple teams have actually picked up after a Covid break and pushed on.

However it effects everyone differently. 

The problem we have 'other than obviously missing one of the best players in the league' is consistency. 

Most wide players tend to be inconsistent and we have 3 in our squad that are all hit and miss. At the moment more miss!

Add then our midfield options (Ramsey, McGinn, Sanson, Luiz, Nakamba, Barkley) all have good days and bad days.

Tonight I would have started Barkley, they had Shelvey who can't run at all, I don't think they were ever going to "outrun" us in Central midfield areas and we needed some creativity in there (with JG out).

Luiz has been off form, but was fine tonight. McGinn's recent performances are under par but is he a bad player? No not at all. 

We could all scream for Sanson to play next week but then it won't be long before he turns in a bad performance and people will say he's not good enough. Let's just get behind the boys - I think we've been spoilt tbh and were gonna get nights like this.

Tonight was dreadful - no hiding from that. No team deserved to win. Thought Mings and Watkins were absolutely awful. But their not bad players. Konsa MOTM by a distance. 

We are comfortably placed in the league. We've made great strides. Get Jack and Matty back and I still think we can finish on a high! Then its all down to the owners in the summer! 💰

• Like 1

Such unbelievable lack of concentration not being able to see that out. Not that we deserved the win.

If Jack doesn’t come back soon I just don’t see how we’re winning a football match again in the near future.

Brilliant season on the whole but a good chance we’re ruining it with how we’re playing.

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think this. Elite athletes or not, Covid is serious shit.

We don't know who was ill, or how bad, and rightly so. But there are a few of them who look far less athletic than they were, and Barkley looks like he's still too injured to be playing but is having to for some reason.

Potentially we might be told more at the end of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were to hear that it had a huge impact.

Exactly Rob. The drop off in energy levels in players is alarming. It's like a debilitating illness has quashed their energy levels. Like something along the lines of a viral infection that affects the respretory system #covid

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Man City were shite at the start, look at em now. Totally agree though 

Our squad is decent, our management is decent too, with jack we punch above our weight, but with NSWE money we can be the next Man City. The talent is there, the consistency isn’t. The differenece between us and a genuine top 6 team/champion is (1) experience at this level (2) more quality players in every position (2 seasons transfer windows) (3) Another forward or two. 

I would bet £1000 we will be top 5 in two seasons if NSWE continue their commitment.

Edited by thunderball

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah it's not that deep.

Just meant I loved the honesty, as he said what we all knew. No BS coating over.

It's never too late to fall in love :).... don't be shy

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We've spent the most money but we've had to bring so many players in. At least we're safe this season. If we start like this next season then I'll be worried.

That’s fair. I just don’t like the fact that people seem to think Smith should be immune to criticism. Absolutely woeful today and couldn’t even take advantage of the lucky goal (against an absolutely rubbish Newcastle team).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bose said:

And by the way we didn’t manage to win a team that has John **** Shelvey as a playmaker.

Potter will catch up with him eventually 

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So angry at Barkley's bad, lazy performance, genuinely a lost cause and I hate that we bring him on every game.

We didn't let him have a sniff against Leeds, we won.

Maybe smith can explore this phenomenon?

• Like 1

Â