Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/21 at 23:59

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Based on some of the performances in the last few games I say you are correct.

we haven't got sufficient control of the football, in too many games to be considered for Europe, we are far too easily closed down and subsequently can't get any rhythm in to our game.....its no wonder, we find scoring hard to come by.

Tonight was a bad one, but its been par for the course, lately.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We were shit even when we had Grealish playing, but at least he gave us a spark.

At the moment no one in our midfield is giving us anything. All our midfield players’ output is shocking, absolutely no goals or creativity in any of them.

I agree....I too think that was beyond Jack....just about the whole team, was off.

He will need to inspire the whole team, in order to get us back on track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Erase the game from the hard drive. Send Barkley back. Konsa MOTM.

how was that barkleys fault.  Two moments of quality in the whole game came from barkleys feet.  not faultless I agree but at least he looked like he might know how to play football the rest of them bar konsa were **** garbage.  I've slagged barkley for his woeful performances since covid but he was on for only 20 mins and looked infinitely better than the shit he was surrounded by tonight.  watkins was so bad it was like someone and paid him to deliberately be that bad.   

I only watched the 2nd half but I think Mcginn is getting some unfair slack. I actually thought he played well tonight and looked sharp compared to some of his previous performances. 

Im disappointed with Barkley. Either his confidence has gone or he just doesn't care or maybe abit of both. He has had numerous opportunities to make a statement but has failed and tonight was the final straw, misplaced passes and lack of energy, it was baffling.

Konsa was excellent and I voted MOTM and we need jack back quick time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Reminds me of a similar curse of when we used to be on Setanta.

Never won bugger all when we were shown on there way back when iirc.

I remember us beating inter milan in a pre season friendly with Laursen bulleting a header in on setanta - mind you it was only a friendly!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

I only watched the 2nd half but I think Mcginn is getting some unfair slack. I actually thought he played well tonight and looked sharp compared to some of his previous performances. 

Im disappointed with Barkley. Either his confidence has gone or he just doesn't care or maybe abit of both. He has had numerous opportunities to make a statement but has failed and tonight was the final straw, misplaced passes and lack of energy, it was baffling.

ok apart from the bad first time pass he made in our half that put us under pressure what did barkley do wrong tonight considering he was only on for 20 minutes and everyone around him was dog turd.  he tried to move the opposition around with clever one twos only for the return ball to be woefully passed to the opposition.  he ran with the ball well and only lost it once.  if Watkins wasn't so shut tonight he would have played him in for a goal but he was being a dozy tw4t a walked off side for no reason.  he hut a cracking ball along the floor up the line to el ghazi who contrived to fck it up when mcginn was in acres of space in the middle.  he hit a beautiful cross field ball to watkins landing at his feet in the box.  ffs.  Agreed he's been shit for weeks but if someone tries to actually play football and shows some class amongst a sea of turds don't whinge that he hasn't won us the game in 20 mins.  sorry but there was plenty enough wrong with that performance to moan about without destroying the career of potentially our second best player just because its easy encase everyone is saying it.  sorry rant over. and apologies to you Kevin didn't mean to single you out just seen too many others jump on the same bandwagon.

12 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

I have seen McGinn have worse games too.....but the midfield doesn't look right to me.....and all the wingers look, well Meh.....something is not right with the front 6....it doesn't look balanced to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

ok apart from the bad first time pass he made in our half that put us under pressure what did barkley do wrong tonight considering he was only on for 20 minutes and everyone around him was dog turd.  he tried to move the opposition around with clever one twos only for the return ball to be woefully passed to the opposition.  he ran with the ball well and only lost it once.  if Watkins wasn't so shut tonight he would have played him in for a goal but he was being a dozy tw4t a walked off side for no reason.  he hut a cracking ball along the floor up the line to el ghazi who contrived to fck it up when mcginn was in acres of space in the middle.  he hit a beautiful cross field ball to watkins landing at his feet in the box.  ffs.  Agreed he's been shit for weeks but if someone tries to actually play football and shows some class amongst a sea of turds don't whinge that he hasn't won us the game in 20 mins.  sorry but there was plenty enough wrong with that performance to moan about without destroying the career of potentially our second best player just because its easy encase everyone is saying it.  sorry rant over. and apologies to you Kevin didn't mean to single you out just seen too many others jump on the same bandwagon.

I think its difficult to single players out when the whole front 6 look lumpy.

1 minute ago, tezzaleed said:

I agree with that.  but watkins was particularly bad tonight.  no idea why he's been excellent for us all season.

It eventually drags you down, persistence and your will to win, drags you through games when the team is playing poor, but eventually, it gets you and I think it got to him tonight.

Personally, I think he has done too much running, in too many games, he shouldn't have to do that much if the team is functioning properly, but its not.

as a team, we can't seem to get away from our markers, its like we have lead boots on.....we don't really have the quality on the ball to negate being closed down, we are not press resistant, it just spoils our passages of play and we become scrappy and untidy and end up scrambling for everything.....The top teams just pass the life out of you, we do not have that quality, so we get caught between a rock and a hard place.

We have not got the quality ( except for Jack) to negate the press.....but equally, we havn't got the muscle or the physicality, to impose that side of the game.....IMO we are caught a bit in no mans land....we are neither one thing or the other.

I think we have done marvellous to reach 41 points.....but I think we have gone backwards a bit lately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a problem at all! I want to see Barkley succeed as much as the next person. He clearly has the potential. However, he's 27 and I've heard that word thrown around with him for what feels like a lifetime. They were talking about him being the next Gascoigne a few years back and I just don't see it. Even when he scored v Southampton the worrying signs were there. I'm not blaming him for the result tonight but he lacks energy and doesn't track back and allows the opposition midfield to cut through far too easily. 

Did he show anything tonight that would make Smith confident of starting him v Tottenham? I don't see it.

I haven't got an agenda against the guy btw but I want to see the team bust a gut and bleed the claret and blue every game. It's not just Barkley who doesn't fall into that category btw. As you correctly mention there were other players who didn't do enough tonight.

11 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

I agree with that.  but watkins was particularly bad tonight.  no idea why he's been excellent for us all season.

I totally agree, I love Watkins but his awful showing tonight had a massive impact on the others as he’s normally so reliable at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, which is so important to the way we play.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have seen McGinn have worse games too.....but the midfield doesn't look right to me.....and all the wingers look, well Meh.....something is not right with the front 6....it doesn't look balanced to me.

I don't think el ghazi and trezeguet are the future for villa. I've read a news story (albeit from a tabloid) about pulisic looking to get out from Chelsea, now he's a player I would look at.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

Not a problem at all! I want to see Barkley succeed as much as the next person. He clearly has the potential. However, he's 27 and I've heard that word thrown around with him for what feels like a lifetime. They were talking about him being the next Gascoigne a few years back and I just don't see it. Even when he scored v Southampton the worrying signs were there. I'm not blaming him for the result tonight but he lacks energy and doesn't track back and allows the opposition midfield to cut through far too easily. 

Did he show anything tonight that would make Smith confident of starting him v Tottenham? I don't see it.

I haven't got an agenda against the guy btw but I want to see the team bust a gut and bleed the claret and blue every game. It's not just Barkley who doesn't fall into that category btw. As you correctly mention there were other players who didn't do enough tonight.

Sorry that was a reply to Tezzaleed

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

In fairness to McGinn, I don't think he had a bad game. He played some lovely passes and was a driving force at times. 

I agree

Well he had a go....he was one of the few driving forces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

That was poor. We have certainly lost our rhythm.

Our wide players are not good enough.  El Ghazi just wants to shoot all of the time.  Trez puts in a shift but has no real quality.  Both need replacing in the summer for me.

Ollie had a poor game with the ball bouncing off him BUT he still puts in a 100% shift and caused the goal.  Its his first season in the PL and he has played every minute - he would ideally get a break if we had anyone else that could spell him

The midfield dynamic is just not right at the minute.  Ramsey doesn't look lost but he also doesn't look like he really knows his role - it would have been better if he could have gone out on loan and got some experience out of the limelight in the Championship but our numbers didn't allow this.  I desperately hope we don't keep Barkley - he has been largely poor.

Back 5 looked good again, even Elmo was fairly solid but he adds nothing coming forward.

We are safe.  We aren't getting into Europe.  I would possibly use this time to give other young players - Carney and Jadon - a run out and see what they are made off and whether they can help next year or need loans.

too true.

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

The decision making from the players was dire throughout

92 minutes 1 nil up 

We get a 4 on 1 break. Two players on your left (onside) and one on your right. Pass it to the one player on the right who is in an offside position.

94 minutes concede an equaliser

Add this to the 90th minute time wasting when we have a corner but can’t manage to keep the ball 

Regardless of the overall poor performance it beggars belief and sums up the poor decision making from the players

A pass to the left could have in all probability led to a goal. Instead we give them the ball back rather cheaply 

A very poor show where only Konsa and Martinez can come out of it with any credit

If a team keeps doing that they deserve nothing.

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

That was poor. We have certainly lost our rhythm.

Our wide players are not good enough.  El Ghazi just wants to shoot all of the time.  Trez puts in a shift but has no real quality.  Both need replacing in the summer for me.

Ollie had a poor game with the ball bouncing off him BUT he still puts in a 100% shift and caused the goal.  Its his first season in the PL and he has played every minute - he would ideally get a break if we had anyone else that could spell him

The midfield dynamic is just not right at the minute.  Ramsey doesn't look lost but he also doesn't look like he really knows his role - it would have been better if he could have gone out on loan and got some experience out of the limelight in the Championship but our numbers didn't allow this.  I desperately hope we don't keep Barkley - he has been largely poor.

Back 5 looked good again, even Elmo was fairly solid but he adds nothing coming forward.

We are safe.  We aren't getting into Europe.  I would possibly use this time to give other young players - Carney and Jadon - a run out and see what they are made off and whether they can help next year or need loans.

This, particularly the bit about El Ghazi - he aint the hot shot he thinks he is. Does my head in. We're limping towards the end of the season & thankfully we had a good start otherwise we'd be in danger of a relegation scrap. Save the £30m Barkley would cost & put it elsewhere. I don't think we'd cope with europe............it aint like it used to be & the "thursday night cup" would swamp our fixture list & squad.

We ARE Safe, indeed. Let's give the nippers more exposure than just sitting on the bench - the last 10 or 15 mins of a game - other teams do it on a regular basis.

Then, this summer needs to be massive in recruitment if we want to be taken seriously.

Edited by mottaloo

Â