Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

On 23/08/2022 at 23:03, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How about?

IMG-20220823-WA0015.jpg

I think this would work well dude, and in reality I don’t think Luiz and Kamara would sit so solidly together, one would naturally drop when the other when forward and pivot. 

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Really stretching the term international there. Gabby, N'Zogbia and Cissokho's most recent caps for example (6 between them by the way) were 5 years before that.

By contrast, Lucas Digne and Boubacar Kamara both started in France's most recent competitive game.

That was the point.

11 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Martinez - Argentinian international

Cash - Polish international

Digne - French international

Mings - English international

Carlos - Brazilian international

Kamara - French international

Luiz - Brazilian international

McGinn - Scottish international

Coutinho - Brazilian international

Buendia - Argentinian international

Bailey - Jamaican international

Ings - English international

Watkins - English international

Have I missed anyone?

Surely any decent manager could get a tune out of that lot!

Don't forget El Ghazi - 2 Caps for Holland ;) 

It’s obvious to most of us, but SG needs to keep Luiz in the team… at least until a new midfielder is signed (a proper upgrade)…

It’s another reason why there is so much frustration with SG, he doesn’t seem to try rectifying anything or learn from mistakes, just keeps repeating them. He doesn’t make the right decisions and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot…

Why he persists with both JJ and McGinn in the league, when we are playing so poorly and so poor in possession is beyond some of us…

And why he appointed McGinn as captain too 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Jas10

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s obvious to most of us, but SG needs to keep Luiz in the team… at least until a new midfielder is signed (a proper upgrade)…

It’s another reason why there is so much frustration with SG, he doesn’t seem to try rectifying anything or learn from mistakes, just keeps repeating them. He doesn’t make the right decisions and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot…

Why he persists with both JJ and McGinn in the league, when we are playing so poorly and so poor in possession is beyond some of us…

And why he appointed McGinn as captain too 🤦‍♂️

Saw an interesting suggestion by Pete from Holy Trinity today.

Kamara | Luiz " Double Pivot "

EMI as more advanced CM/ACM and as McGinn " must play" have him more advanced on the Left and Bailey on the right.

* He did add the note that it won't happen though.. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think lots of teams use their fullbacks to attack and for width… Gerrard hasn’t invented this style of attacking. 

Other teams use the FBs to provide width/space for their attacking players. We seem to do the opposite. Tucking in our inside forwards so our FBs have space to create.

Puts an insane amount of pressure on our good but not great FBs to defend but also be the fulcrum of attack. 

Totally hypothetical and will never happen, but in the event we signed Diallo we could end up having a group that could really effectively play a 3-4-2-1.

Martinez

Chambers-Mings-Diallo

Cash-Luiz-Kamara-Digne

Bailey-Buendia

Watkins

Or with Coutinho, Ings or whoever you'd want replacing in there. You've got Chambers who with his experience of also playing right back would probably be suited to it, Mings and Diallo could likely play either the left or central role for similar reasons and means they'd both be able to play rather than in a 4 at the back where you don't really see two left footers. It allows us to play with such high full backs without completely sacrificing any kind of cover for them etc.

I think the style Gerrard tries to implement suits that shape so much better but for some reason it's being shoe-horned into the current formation(s) and often looking a mess.

• Like 2

According to an article I've just read Villa ran less than any Premier league team last season, and although we've only played three matches we are currently the team that has run the least collective kilometres per game this season .... Is this down to the way we set up or does it highlight a lack of fitness or effort?

On the plus side it does appear that our pressing has improved, and our high turnovers are fractionally better. This corresponds with our higher possession stats so far this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

According to an article I've just read Villa ran less than any Premier league team last season, and although we've only played three matches we are currently the team that has run the least collective kilometres per game this season .... Is this down to the way we set up or does it highlight a lack of fitness or effort?

On the plus side it does appear that our pressing has improved, and our high turnovers are fractionally better. This corresponds with our higher possession stats so far this season.

Any chance you could link the article mate? Cheers

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I’d like to see it split between when it possession and when not - I’d hypothesise that our movement and urgency when on the ball is what’s causing it, which is a set up thing.

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Any chance you could link the article mate? Cheers

A few years back I tried linking an article and got my wrist smacked by the Mods because I did it wrong. (I'm not good at tech, lol).

The article is on Sky football and is written by a data and analysis guy Adam Smith. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Who were the five teams that ran the least? 

Players just don't believe in this system imo. Cash and Digne have to be marathon runners. They're decent international full backs but certainly don't have the quality of Trent or Robertson when in final third if Gerrard is genuinely basing this on Liverpool.

I can see it similar to last season, we sack him, new guy comes in and plays 4-2-3-1 and players happier with that win 3 of first 4 games.

Get the next two out of the way and hopefully that happens otherwise the league position is going to look terrible, could very easily be bottom soon.

We're so boring to watch, played o.k for first 20-25 minutes and rest of game was genuinely coma inducing.

Edited by VillaChris

Whats the point of giving Archer a couple of minutes at the end. Should have had 30 effin minutes at least! As for Luiz getting subbed jeez. How SGs mind works is an absolute mystery. Giving captaincy to McGinn looking like a huge error as now apparently undroppable.

Someone post the average positions so I can get a good laugh in. My guess is no one in the middle of the pitch besides Douglas and Kamara. Everybody else crammed to either touchline. 

Â