Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

There are loads of good DCM’s available at the moment 

Define "good DCM". It's purely down to opinion. Maybe the true targets we wanted weren't available right now. Maybe clubs were holding us to ransom. Maybe we didn't want to spend a fortune all in one go and weaken our FFP position next year.

Edited by Okonokos

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

When does the we were in the championship x years ago stop? No ones asking for the top we’re trying to sniff their arse in a Europa league spot as a realistic aim.

Never does it. Part of history of our climb and hopefully rise to one of the big boys again. When your club is rocked to the point there was almost nothing left of it, I see the championship as our recovery ERA. Due to bad Owners, debts and needing to climb out of the championship league which can be a hell hole for many relegated clubs season after season, we did spectacular. NSWE certainly did every Villa fan right as well as Smith and everyone involved from staff to players.

I certainly dont want to forget the championship and the fact that in our final season in that league, we became a properly run club once more.

I just think there are lots of positives and reasons to remember it Paul.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

This. I won't be happy until we are put on the brink of financial disaster following a transfer window.

Yes. I also really miss the days when our owner was tweeting cryptic clues about our transfer activity.

NSWE OUT!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 21:48, MWARLEY2 said:

Well that takes Bailey and Traore out of the team then and puts Buendia into an unfavoured position. 

I did listen to a podcast that said that Bailey has played at wing back in Germany.

Buendia/Traore could, in theory, play at "10" in a 3-4-1-2? 

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Erm, now? As has been pointed out by Dean Smiths detractors over the past few weeks, we have spent three hundred million pounds over the last 3 summers combined. 

You might think the squad is still flawed, you'd be right. I think if you were to ask fans of every club whether they have an obvious flaw they would tell you they do. Manchester City lack an out and out striker, Manchester United also lack a defensive midfielder of any quality. 

However, we've not gone about consistently smashing our transfer record for nothing. They're obviously trying to take that next step. 

Emmm but Manchester City and Man U despite in your words do win trophies and qualify for Europe seasonally because those flaws do not hurt their teams as much as say Villa who continually fail to retain position in midfield exposing the back four. This was also a constant flaw in previous seasons so why not address that now when you sell your best player for 100m and have wealthy owners who are apparently very ambitious?

I think where the frustration is coming from is that midfielders were available to fix that flaw now rather than waiting another season when those midfielders could go elsewhere or the teams Villa are trying to catch improve again.

Edited by striker

On 01/09/2021 at 00:25, Zatman said:

he isnt amazing though, the club thought he might improve us but he isnt going to exceptionally improve us for the money Southampton wanted. He didnt even make the England squad this time around

If you are using Gareth Southgate's opinions as a fair barometer of a player's worth, I think a few on here might disagree with you!?

Transfer Window winners

Christian Purslow and Aston Villa

“Good evening. I wanted to speak directly to our supporters to confirm the transfer of our captain, Jack Grealish, to Manchester City, and to explain the background to this move.”

Over the next four minutes and 45 seconds, Aston Villa CEO Christian Purslow proceeded to do precisely that. He spoke concisely and with absolute clarity to temper any supporter panic and frustration at the sale of a homegrown talent, simplifying the thought processes and how this eventuality had been planned for. This was not good news but the club realised the importance of transparency and honesty during a potentially difficult moment.

With one simple video issued directly to the fans, Villa turned a negative into a positive without throwing mud or obscuring the truth. It would have been a masterclass in communication even if it hadn’t shown early signs of paying off with three goals and three assists in three games from three replacements in Danny Ings, Emiliano Buendia and Leon Bailey.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-transfer-window-winners-levy-crystal-palace-man-utd-chelsea-aston-villa

On 01/09/2021 at 00:39, Zatman said:

the club didnt think he was amazing or would have broke the bank. Ward Prowse improves our midfield but not for his value. He is at most a 30 million player and Southampton wanted 50. Why should we get ripped off, then every signing we make gets doubled up in price because of stupid gullible Villa. Maybe the scouts/board see a better player somewhere next summer for 20 million while we are still in the Premier League

FWIW I never wanted Ward Prowse

I think JWP would definitely have improved our midfield and he would have been a really good signing.

I am confused by the club's approach to this and, to a lesser extent, to ESR.  I don't believe that they were ever properly in for them.  How they could sell Jack for £100m and then expect to bring in JWP for £25-30m is beyond me.  It just shows, imho, either a general naivety or a PR stunt??  Similar with ESR, a move which just seems equally bizarre given his affinity to Arsenal and his subsequent rhetoric.  Curtis Jones at the rumoured £15m amount falls into a similar category for me.

The club have stated that they want to buy proven English PL quality as it comes with very little risk.  However, you just don't get that unless (a) you are prepared to pay through the nose (as Arsenal have for White); or(b) there are special circumstances like Danny Ings contract position and his desire to move on.

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think JWP would definitely have improved our midfield and he would have been a really good signing.

I am confused by the club's approach to this and, to a lesser extent, to ESR.  I don't believe that they were ever properly in for them.  How they could sell Jack for £100m and then expect to bring in JWP for £25-30m is beyond me.  It just shows, imho, either a general naivety or a PR stunt??  Similar with ESR, a move which just seems equally bizarre given his affinity to Arsenal and his subsequent rhetoric.  Curtis Jones at the rumoured £15m amount falls into a similar category for me.

The club have stated that they want to buy proven English PL quality as it comes with very little risk.  However, you just don't get that unless (a) you are prepared to pay through the nose (as Arsenal have for White); or(b) there are special circumstances like Danny Ings contract position and his desire to move on.

You missed off "or just the media talking bollocks" 

8 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

How they could sell Jack for £100m and then expect to bring in JWP for £25-30m is beyond me.

I have said that myself. I don't believe we ever expected to get JWP for 25m. Either the bid was fake news or I think Villa may have being showing the market that we are only in for players in the 25m to 35m price range and if the fee goes above that then we walk. It is not a bad reputation to have when u have 100m in the bank

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I have said that myself. I don't believe we ever expected to get JWP for 25m. Either the bid was fake news or I think Villa may have being showing the market that we are only in for players in the 25m to 35m price range and if the fee goes above that then we walk. It is not a bad reputation to have when u have 100m in the bank

I think this is the case. Test a few clubs by low-balling them for players who are stalling on new contracts.

I think there are players we should have maybe gone for (potentially wanted to sign) but the problem is putting in a low bid for a player coveted by others (read: Bissouma). I think there are a few teams that would have gone after Bissouma but knew they'd get outbid and didn't have the resources this window to complete. A few players who have stayed at their clubs I believe are victims to a lot of Prem teams holding and folding

• Like 1