Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's a bit harsh to call it "pointless" and "not related to football"

He's showing appreciation for the owners on where we are now compared to where we were just a couple of years ago and asking for patience and trust.

I am on the side of supporting NSWE and the club with our recent transfer window. But I also understand why people are moaning about not getting a new DM. I have my own views on this and the benefits I see for AVFC of not getting more MFs in during the window. I am happy to debate these with people and acknowledge the reason they moan and express why I think they are wrong. est1874's comment is not asking for patience and trust, it is trying to insult other Villa fans that have a different view

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am on the side of supporting NSWE and the club with our recent transfer window. But I also understand why people are moaning about not getting a new DM. I have my own views on this and the benefits I see for AVFC of not getting more MFs in during the window. I am happy to debate these with people and acknowledge the reason they moan and express why I think they are wrong. est1874's comment is not asking for patience and trust, it is trying to insult other Villa fans that have a different view

Ah - sorry. I was talking about the tweet (from Tuco's Teggerts), not the VT poster. Clearly your post was the other way around and I misread it. 

All good - just my misunderstanding. Apologies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

What if the right target we wanted just wasn't available and they felt there was no point spending for the sake of it?

Why let teams hold us to ransom because they know full well we have £100m in the bank?

Sensible clubs don't make signings for the sake of it and don't spend unsustainably. I absolutely believe the reason they didn't sign one was because the right value for money didn't come up.

I'd have liked a midfielder too but I don't think it's as big an issue as people are making out.

The absolute main weakness from last season was creating chances without Grealish in the team. I think we've addressed that issue.

There are loads of good DCM’s available at the moment 

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We were in the Championship 3 seasons ago. We need some time to build a team and to gain the experience to make a move for Europe. Getting to the top is not an easy task. We have owners with very deep pockets and they continue to demonstrate this by investing massively in the club. They have invested multiple of the purchase price of the club into players, management and infrastructure. We may have been sleeping giants but we need a little time to wake up. And yes, I agree, the young may not cut it. But brining in youth is the stated slub strategy. If it doesn't work first time then we keep at it until it does work. But if we never give it a chance to work then we will never know.

When does the we were in the championship x years ago stop? No ones asking for the top we’re trying to sniff their arse in a Europa league spot as a realistic aim.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Smith isn't obsessed about playing a DCM, certainly not every game let alone a majority. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

What if the right target we wanted just wasn't available and they felt there was no point spending for the sake of it?

Why let teams hold us to ransom because they know full well we have £100m in the bank?

Sensible clubs don't make signings for the sake of it and don't spend unsustainably. I absolutely believe the reason they didn't sign one was because the right value for money didn't come up.

I'd have liked a midfielder too but I don't think it's as big an issue as people are making out.

The absolute main weakness from last season was creating chances without Grealish in the team. I think we've addressed that issue.

This is what I was thinking other day. Maybe also is that were not just blowing the lot and seeing how we do till January. Maybe just maybe while everyone blows there load this window gone, we hang back some cash. If were in need of reinforcements, we can go spend again and bring quality into those positions where its absolutely without question needed. There are lots of ways to look at this, even if there are a few players in the prem or abroad, that in January show up like a bonfire that we didnt highlight. these players maybe wasn't on our radar,other teams cant go grab them as again they spent there lot but we have not and have reserved coinage.

I do believe there are reasons why we just didnt blow our whole load in one window. I mean I can look at our squad now and at full strength it has the ability to devastate, all it needs is to sync together. Sure there be ups and downs but next window (if it is in January), if it's not abit later could see us buy a couple of decent players who are top quality stars.

CDM would be lovely but for all we know between now and next window could click into place. This is why I think it's best we wait and just see how it goes now, we certainly can't say much until were at full strength. Hopefully were back fully fit in couple of weeks. 

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

lol...  Ornstein claiming to know about the Ings signing but couldn't publish the story because "some things happened" shows how much he really didn't have a clue...

Yeah, that was cringe. Either break the story or keep your gob shut about having the scoop. Embarrassing. 

8 hours ago, striker said:

It’s stagnating if placement isn’t improved upon but only time will tell.

Depends on what is stagnating. Villa fans need only look at Everton who spent a lot of money poorly and are now crippled by FFP and can't spend anymore. 

If Jack had stayed we would have pushed for top4/6 for sure. We would have had 2 big signings from the three we got (prob Buendia/Bailey and Jack moving to central). He left for 100m and now the plan has changed. 

We got Ings in so we lost a proven premier league player in Jack but we added one to soften the impact of that. A season is 38 games and your placement at the end reflects the avg performance over that season. If we are a much better team in the last 15 games than we were in the first but still end the season on 55points in 11th I'd see that as progress if I see the players improving on the field. Especially the young players who can make mistakes in Oct but learn from them and are not making the same mistakes in April. 

At the end of this season we could have a very solid core of a team that can play or improve on this level for the next 3 years. We have the financial firepower to go after 40/50m players to add to that team in a couple of key areas to push us on. It's better to deploy that money next summer than this

Leicester lest we forget had a huge run at the end of the season to avoid relegation and they carried that into the following season and won the League. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

We have no interest in buying a "good" DCM. We are after an excellent one and I'm sure one will be top of the list for next summer like getting Buendia was this summer and Watkins was last summer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paul514 said:
8 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

When does the we were in the championship x years ago stop?

That is a good question. I think it should stop when we have removed the Championship players from our squad and given the new players time to bed in and we also need a bit of time for transfer mistakes. We will buy someone that doesn't work out and he may need replacing. I think we can say we have now removed the Championship players. We only have 2 or 3 players left with us and that is probably intentional. I think the new players need a couple of years to bed in so I expect this coming season we should see a more developed team that knows their plan A and plan B and understands the game plan Dean and his coaches want. Next season we should be completely away from our Championship memories and then it should no longer be used as justification to be used to explain not achieving something

6 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Ah - sorry. I was talking about the tweet (from Tuco's Teggerts), not the VT poster. Clearly your post was the other way around and I misread it. 

All good - just my misunderstanding. Apologies.

Thx, very easy to misread things on a football forum. I clearly misread your comment too. 😀

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, that was cringe. Either break the story or keep your gob shut about having the scoop. Embarrassing. 

Him and Evans knew about the story that morning. I believe the plan was to break it that evening but Villa went ahead and did it for them!

49 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

At the end of this season we could have a very solid core of a team that can play or improve on this level for the next 3 years

With another year in the PL under their belts there is an opportunity for a number of players to improve too (Doug, the kids, Traore, Cash, Emi B, Bailey and Sanson), a marked improvement by a few of these and we may change our transfer requirements. It would be great if our summer window can get to a stage where we only need to bring in 2 or 3 new players and we could buy one or two of real quality and promote one or two from the youth. Obviously promoting from the youth is very difficult so it is really important the we continue to invest in 16 to 18 year olds and bring as many of them into Villa each year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1