Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I’ve always thought getting the ball and creating sorted in a team is far more important than a good striker to put it away.

Any striker will score if the chances are served up on a platter.

If the choice is a good expensive forward or sorting the creation id rather buy no striker.

Well maybe but look at Brighton who just take their chances and are 16th.

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well maybe but look at Brighton who just take their chances and are 16th.

Brighton perform way below the hypothetical situation I just posted about. We also have a proven striker and a guy coming back who is supposed to be alright.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

We are not going to sign any quality this summer, unless they have a huge chance of making the first team.

We have not reached the level to keep quality on the bench...other than return from injury.

If we sign quality it will be certainly for the first team.

We certainly won't sign quality that will move straight to the bench and entertain it, any quality we sign will see the players we currently have move to the bench so the quality can take up first eleven status.

You are right in all this TRO and we certainly are not in the position of the top five clubs who could sign quality and have them entertain the bench.

Also when you look at it, we have in our first eleven- Watkins, Grealish, Martinez, Konsa, Target, Cash who all I think will remain a first team choice no matter what and I do not think quality would be signed for there positions. Keeper position is fine without a doubt. Then you have Ming's the person who is a first team possibility out of any defender to be replaced but unlikely to lose his place as a CB. I just can't see us signing another CB because of his mistakes he makes, not yet at least (more important positions need sorting first). Now comes Luiz, Mcginn and Sanson, out of those you would expect Luiz most of all to keep his first team status, Mcginn second and Sanson is a question mark. Truth be told we do need more midfielders of better quality, much better. So maybe Sanson and Mcginn could take up permanent sub residence which would bring in one or two midfielders. You look at our Wingers and Grealish without a doubt is safe. That leaves the right wing, always the right isn't it?? But you sell Ghazi and Trezegeut and it looks most likely where we will make the moves to sell and replace. Adding a certain excellent right winger who is miles above Traores level then you have someone on the right to really do what Grealish does on the left. Then there's Watkins, he needs help now and with Wesley re injured there will be the need for a new striker to aid Watkins. The cheap way so we can use more money on Winger and Midfield positions would be to fetch Barry in to partner with him and I would be so up for that. The other way is to splash the cash which leaves less to sort out the Winger and Mid positions, personally I'd go for Barry to aid Watkins.

When you really think about it and I mean really i see us signing Midfielders and Wingers as top quality and around 4 players tops. They are the positions we need reinforcements in and the positions that are letting us down heavy this second half of the season. Any players signed beyond sorting those positions out would be beyond the first team moving into sorting some of the bench out. You look at it and maybe we are around 3 to 4 signings away from being in a position of doing what others are suggesting and being a club that can start adding quality to kit out there bench.

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

I don’t think we’ll spend £40million on one player this summer.

We are more likely to spend around £20-25m on a player who has potential to be worth £40m after 12 months at Villa.

Fair enough, but I’ll explain why I think the opposite: 

The owners persuaded Jack to stay last summer by promising to bring in players to compete at the top. The dogs in the street know our problems are now with the attacking side of the team, we need more pace, creativity and goals. 

It makes sense that we’ll go big on at least one winger, a 10 & a striker, more likely established players in the 23-27 yr old range who can make an immediate impact. 

We may be lucky and get someone like Thauvin on a free, but eg. De Paul, Tammy, Daka level players are £40M all day. It’s what good established forwards cost these days. 

If we’re serious about keeping Grealish around beyond next season that’s what it’s going to take this summer - imo. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes but lets be real as much as we love ollie he has numerous poor games for us. 

We need someone that can compete with ollie and i  elieve tammy would be that man. Also i do believe they could play in same team

Absolutely agree. I just don't believe Tammy would have any interest joining to compete with Ollie for the usually 1 starting spot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Awol said:

Fair enough, but I’ll explain why I think the opposite: 

The owners persuaded Jack to stay last summer by promising to bring in players to compete at the top. The dogs in the street know our problems are now with the attacking side of the team, we need more pace, creativity and goals. 

It makes sense that we’ll go big on at least one winger, a 10 & a striker, more likely established players in the 23-27 yr old range who can make an immediate impact. 

We may be lucky and get someone like Thauvin on a free, but eg. De Paul, Tammy, Daka level players are £40M all day. It’s what good established forwards cost these days. 

If we’re serious about keeping Grealish around beyond next season that’s what it’s going to take this summer - imo. 

Agreed.

The Bucks just gave someone a 160m dollar 4 year contract and that's the poorest of our owners. These guys clearly mean business.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd throw 50m at Wolves for Neto. 

Even if they accepted that, which I don't think they would, plenty of others would be in for him at whatever price we settled at.

He'd be a great buy, but I'd be stunned. Realistically, we're a sideways move right now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Even if they accepted that, which I don't think they would, plenty of others would be in for him at whatever price we settled at.

He'd be a great buy, but I'd be stunned. Realistically, we're a sideways move right now.

Hmmm not sure, I don’t think many teams have that much cash to throw around and those that do there is no guarantee they’d be interested in spending that much money if it wasn’t a priority position.

The hard part is getting Wolves to sell as he’s only 2nd year into a five year contract and on 50k per week but I heard he’s the chairman of the Portuguese Aston Villa Fan Club 😉

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

I’ve always thought getting the ball and creating sorted in a team is far more important than a good striker to put it away.

Any striker will score if the chances are served up on a platter.

If the choice is a good expensive forward or sorting the creation id rather buy no striker.

I would take a team that do both at a decent rate than one more than the other.

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They sold Jota for 40m to 45m to Liverpool, so I think there is every possible chance he to could be sold for 50m or under.

Wolves will want some players to buy for cheap all while making money and shifting on players have have gained a decent price. It looks as though they are a selling club again and have lost the plot since selling Jota as they had a wicked front 3 who worked very well together. I think they are wanting to buy less expensive players, have them for a season or three then sell them for profit.

They do not appear to be to greedy wolves unlike some other clubs, even were more greedy because if someone came for Grealish wed say something like 200m just to either make someone pay big or reply hem to get F__ked.

Edited by Dave-R

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Won't we have more wiggle room in terms of FFP after this season, certainly in regards to our wage structure.

I think because our position is stronger yes and also because more comes in from deals ie the TV deals, sponsorship and others deals as well as league position.

I do think our FFP will be considerably stronger since when you first enter the premier or a new league it's still pretty much weakened just in case you go back down next season.

I could be all wrong though but I think where we are now which is half a table better shows things are going right at Villa and FFP should favour that.

I hope and big hope with fingers crossed that FFP gets scrapped before summer, would be lovely and perfect for us..

Edited by Dave-R

16 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I would take a team that do both at a decent rate than one more than the other.

A striker is one player and Aston Villa exists past one season, I’d just buy them in the next budget round in that scenario 

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think because our position is stronger yes and also because more comes in from deals ie the TV deals, sponsorship and others deals as well as league position.

I do think our FFP will be considerably stronger since when you first enter the premier or a new league it's still pretty much weakened just in case you go back down next season.

I could be all wrong though but I think where we are now which is half a table better shows things are going right at Villa and FFP should favour that.

I hope and big hope with fingers crossed that FFP gets scrapped before summer, would be lovely and perfect for us..

It absolutely isn’t getting scrapped before the summer they said it will be a few years before a new system comes in

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Whoop. Lets spend a lot of money and see it depreciate faster than a  new car off a showroom then.

Eh???

I'm all for spending money...  Just wisely with a nice sell on value would be a good idea.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It absolutely isn’t getting scrapped before the summer they said it will be a few years before a new system comes in

Yeah I thought as much but we could all hope.

Shouldn't be hard to figure a new system.

Clubs Owners who can spend should if they want to spend disclose there financial records to eufa or the league they are in. It's certainly not tough to figure out and they could scrap it tomorrow. They could just keep FFP in and use it as it should of been always intended for which is to help clubs who start having financial trouble all while clubs who can spend are actually free from FFP.

But we have to go the route of rocket science don't we and make it all sound and look more trouble and hardwork than it actually is.

Wonder if Purslow strongly has been for FFP to be scrapped, I'd find that funny since he were one of those that were strongly for it to be in place. It would say something that would wouldn't it that Purslow either thinks FFP was used more of a protection for bigger clubs to see less competitive football OR that FFP has been a huge disaster since it arrived. Personally I think both are reasons to have it scrapped because it just hasn't protected smaller clubs all while it's helped bigger clubs receive less competition.