Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I'm not convinced we need a dcm. We have Douglas Luiz who in large parts of the last two seasons has played to a level that we hoped Man City wouldn't re-call him. Yes, he's been inconsistent and his levels have dropped but he is still in his early 20s and developing. i have no reason to think this won't be a proper breakthrough season for the Brazilian full international.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, lexicon said:

We're in a tricky spot tbf because there are a lot of considerations, as you say. 

- We don't want to get fleeced BUT teams know we have a lot of money to spend
- We want players who are good enough to improve us BUT we don't have European football to offer 
- We want talented players BUT ones that also have the right attitude 

It's a delicate balance and with Jack gone, the dynamics at the club both on and off the pitch will have changed considerably - we need to see how it pans out, who steps up, who doesn't etc. before we spend big again. 

It’s not easy, is it? It’s harder than ever to build a team of outstanding talent. I know we all want Europe but I think some patience is needed, we can’t just throw crazy money at the project and hope it works. Players need to be carefully selected for the team, and if the right players aren’t available then I’d rather we don’t waste millions on players that won’t improve us, and will be hard to sell on. 

• Like 1

I hope we drop the 4-2-3-1 formation and switch to 4-3-3. Then we should be fine-ish and more balanced in midfield and get the best out of out attacking players. Continuing with 4-2-3-1 with the players we have will continue to see us too open in midfield unless we sign another starting CM. IMO.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

It’s not easy, is it? It’s harder than ever to build a team of outstanding talent. I know we all want Europe but I think some patience is needed, we can’t just throw crazy money at the project and hope it works. Players need to be carefully selected for the team, and if the right players aren’t available then I’d rather we don’t waste millions on players that won’t improve us, and will be hard to sell on. 

Definitely not - especially with the fans demanding signings and increasing the pressure too. 

If there's anything to learn from the Tony Xia era, it's that buying players that have done well at some point or in a particular circumstance just isn't enough and leaves way too much to chance. Teams have to be assembled carefully and methodically, especially when you're talking about 25m+ on a single player, which is where we're shopping now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

There’s a massive list of reasons why transfers are hard to complete. Maybe the targets we want just aren’t available or willing to come. Maybe we don’t want to spend all that cash on players that aren’t our first choice. There’s a million other reasons that I can’t be bothered to list.

Most often though if the money is available it will get spent.

It didn't have to be JWP or no one. 

We have a whole recruitment team identifying players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

I hope we drop the 4-2-3-1 formation and switch to 4-3-3. Then we should be fine-ish and more balanced in midfield and get the best out of out attacking players. Continuing with 4-2-3-1 with the players we have will continue to see us too open in midfield. IMO.

The issue here is that it looks like we want to play Watkins and Ings together, but both centrally. That rules out 4-3-3. 

I'm with you, though. I think 4-3-3 with the squad we have makes the most sense by far. 

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

The issue here is that it looks like we want to play Watkins and Ings together, but both centrally. That rules out 4-3-3. 

I'm with you, though. I think 4-3-3 with the squad we have makes the most sense by far. 

Yeah that's why I was surprised that we signed such a high profile attacker like Ings. Fantastic player to have, doesn't really suit our needs for the starting 11 or solve our issues.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Smith looks to be happy with Steer and the kid, I doubt we’ll see anything anything on the GK front. Steers a decent backup anyway, not great but decent

I like Jed. He’s fine for the cups. Would be concerned if he had to start a run of PL games though. It’s a massive gap between Emi and Jed. I suspect we are on the lookout for someone else. Big Cuts knows his apples.

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Nakamba only started because Luiz was at the Olympics.

El Ghazi only started because traore wasn't fit and Bailey had been in the country for 2 days.

I mean, you know this, so why moan about it?

Was Luiz at the Olympics at the back end of last season too? 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah that's why I was surprised that we signed such a high profile attacker like Ings. Fantastic player to have, doesn't really suit our needs for the starting 11 or solve our issues.

Yeah, it feels like we signed him a little hastily tbh. At the time, I thought we'd signed him as a rotation option, which made sense to me as he's better than Wesley and Davis, but it was probably a little naive of me to think he'd be OK with not playing all the time. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

So our back up players can never start a game now? 

I suppose it’s whether you define him as a back up or not. I’m sure there are plenty of people on here who think Nakamba is a more effective player than Luiz. 

Regardless of whether that’s true or not, going into the season with those two, along with McGinn and a crocked Sanson, is a terrible central midfield. We’ve got less than 2 weeks to sort it out. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jack basically said the same thing last year. He will be off to Liverpool next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

How do we know that until we've been able to see what this new flexibility brings this season.

One of the biggest moans last season was that Smith didn't change things or adapt to certain opponnents. 

Now we have options, people seem annoyed that we might potentially not just play one formation all the time.

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I suppose it’s whether you define him as a back up or not. I’m sure there are plenty of people on here who think Nakamba is a more effective player than Luiz. 

Regardless of whether that’s true or not, going into the season with those two, along with McGinn and a crocked Sanson, is a terrible central midfield. We’ve got less than 2 weeks to sort it out. 

It doesn't matter what people on here think. It's pretty obvious from how he's been used that he's a back up player. 

I get the desire for a new midfield player and I think there's a good chance we get one. 

But, we spent a lot of money on a young promising player in Luiz, and 12 months ago were terrified city would take him back. 

Mcginn, like him or not, has just been named vice captain, he's clearly seen as an important element in the team. 

We invested £15 million getting Sanson at what we viewed as too good to turn down. We're not going to throw him a side until we've seen what he can do. 

I think we need better but I can also see why We're looking at what we've already got. Not to mention young players like Chuk in the background. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How do we know that until we've been able to see what this new flexibility brings this season.

One of the biggest moans last season was that Smith didn't change things or adapt to certain opponnents. 

Now we have options, people seem annoyed that we might potentially not just play one formation all the time.

We do not know that. As I said I think he will be a very useful players. I'm certainly not annoyed that we signed him.

Still doesn't change the fact that I think 4-2-3-1 suits us and our current players badly and that I hope we go 4-3-3 as our main formation.

• Like 1