Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, useless said:

What defensive issues? We had the seventh best defence in the league last season, we conceded three last week but Luiz wasn't playing. I think this idea that we're desperate for a DM is overplayed, although Percy who's as reliable as anyone has said it's a priority so I think there's still a good chance something will happen in that regard. If anything it's more a creative midfielder that we need after losing Barkley and Grealish and the sun setting on Hourihane's Villa career.

I think the issue with this is we’ve already signed 3 attacking players, and will struggle to fit everyone in and find the right balance. Another creative player won’t help this. We have replaced Grealish, we’ll see Bailey on the left I think and I’m happy with that. As for Barkley I thought we played better without him last season. And even though he plays better of the right, Buendia can play that role Barkley played last year and I think he’ll offer much more. 

9 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

The price those other clubs are quoted will be different (lower) from what we're quoted if they hear we're desparate. At this moment, it's a seller's market (especially with Euro clubs looking to get as much as they can for their assets), but nearer the end of the window, it very much becomes a buyers market, allowing us to engineer lower fees from those same money-desparete clubs than they would have taken before.

I would LOVE us to just slap the money down for Damsguard now (such a good player), but it's not always how things work at operational level, especially with consideration to FFP being factored into our 5 year plan.

So in theory if you what say is you true - Liverpool could agree a fee for Damsguard  say £30m - but if we went in for him it would be  £35m if DS had said we still looking to add to the squad ? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Not sure why we haven't tried for Donny Van De Beek personally. Surplus to requirements at United but hasn't become a poor player since starring for Ajax and stagnating on the Newton Heath bench since. Would be a great acquisition.

Need to think big. 

I'm not sure he is better than what we have.  Yes he did well in Ajax but can't seem to cut it in the premier league.

His defensive contribution is what is lacking from what I understand.

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You’re probably right. 

I don’t think Smith is bluffing. The idea clubs won’t think we’re desperate or have any cash because Smith says so in a press conference is just daft. 

Everybody knew we were minted before Grealish got sold for £100m. I wonder what they’re thinking now..

I think we are done in this window. So you can forget Europe or a top half finish.

I don't think what DS says in press conferences has any bearing on the prices we are quoted for players. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

CDM aside, would anyone take Lingard on a loan with an option to buy?  If he can hit his West Ham form, he would be a decent addition.

He's had his practice at playing in a counterfeit version of the colours as well already.

Wondering if Ollie might want to keep him though? He was outstanding.

Also, any word of if Van Der Beek has featured for them? Edit: @EST.1874 beat me to it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I think Lingard only has 12 months of his contract left. Man Utd won't let him go on loan, unless they tie him down to a big new contract. 

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Tanguy Ndombele has apparently asked to leave Tottenham. Not sure if he would be gettable for us, but I think he's a good player, remember watching him for Lyon and being very impressed and later thinking he was going to do very well for Spurs when they signed him.

Good player but serious doubts over his commitment. Has had fitness issues etc since he signed and is probably on a few hundred thousand a week. Too much of a risk 

It's quite underwhelming.

However, if I think with my long term/business head, it might be the right thing to do, if we can't get the calibre of target we want.

Calculated risk, if you will.

If the opportunity comes closer to deadline day, we might pounce, but if not, we should have a healthy transfer kitty in January/next summer, hopefully when everyone's blown their loads. Call bluffs etc.

A dangerous game though IMO.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think most of us would even be OK with a solid loan at this point.

Loftus Cheek? How is he doing? Last I heard he was immense for Chelsea in pre season. ( 3rd time lucky with Chelsea? )

Surely we could even get a top CM/CDM in on loan, with option to buy if they impress, for a healthy loan fee?

I'd be happy with a loan.

RLC could be decent. The Guardian said the other day that Trevoh Chalobah could still be sent out on loan, despite starting the season. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

The reason we finished 11th last season was due to Grealish's injury and the lack of creativity when he was out of the team, we've attempted to fix that with the signings of Buendia, Bailey, and Ings, our midfield was doing perfectly fine when Grealish was fit. In fact some, including some of the those now saying we're desperate for a DM, couldn't stop going on about how Man City were going to take Luiz of us, and now all of a sudden he's not good enough.

People seem to be obssessed with us playing a No.10 in central midfield, but if you do that you're midfield is going to be exposed regardless of who else is playing in there, as it's basically like playing with a two man midfield.

Didn't Martinez make the most saves of any PL goalkeeper last season? Great for him, not exactly great for us as it highlights an issue somewhere in the team.

Is it the defence or the midfield? To me it feels like we fail to control games in the middle of the park. Maybe Sanson will help with that, but I'd like another player like Nakamba with better passing ability, then push Luiz slightly further up. He is key for me this season as I think he can help us control games, but needs a better DM alongside him to be able to do that.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Smith: "We're easy on transfers. If we don't get anybody else in, I'm happy with what we have" = less of a sense of desparation/panic buying and clubs will be more likely to play fair with us.

If he’d said that I’d agree. You’ve made it sound like he left room for more, when he didn’t really. 

I don’t really understand why people think they’re being cryptic. They’re telling you were done signing players, accept it and move on.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Tanguy Ndombele has apparently asked to leave Tottenham. Not sure if he would be gettable for us, but I think he's a good player, remember watching him for Lyon and being very impressed and later thinking he was going to do very well for Spurs when they signed him.

Spurs paid £54m and he’s under contract until 2025. 

Cracking player but Levy will want the moon on a stick for him. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If he’d said that I’d agree. You’ve made it sound like he left room for more, when he didn’t really. 

I don’t really understand why people think their being cryptic. They’re telling you were done signing players, accept it and move on.

Isn't the IF short of outright saying we WON'T though?

That more sounds like " it's possible, but if not, we're cool ".

Note; I haven't seen the quote or presser. Just going off the post you quoted.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don’t really understand why people think their being cryptic. They’re telling you were done signing players, accept it and move on.

It will certainly be easier to accept if we don't perform like we did in the first half of the Watford game.

The next 2 games should be very winnable, but after that we absolutely cannot put in below par performances. I think it will get quite messy on here if we lose against Newcastle.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't the IF short of outright saying we WON'T though?

That more sounds like " it's possible, but if not, we're cool ".

Its not a DS quote. it example quote to argue a point.

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

Gotta love it when people say the midfield isn't the issue. 

I mean where exactly else do we improve on? 

Baffling. 

Mate, it is generally universally accepted by Villa fans across the media, social media and on forums, some are either just in denial, or again, hanging on to great hope that the potential they see in our current crop, is about to be realised.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it turned out to be the case, but I don't see it right now.

I actually have a little more faith in one of our Young midfielders, to become what some think our seniors will/could be.

4 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Gotta love it when people say the midfield isn't the issue. 

I mean where exactly else do we improve on? 

Baffling. 

I still think we need another winger. Buendia was coming in anyway, and Bailey really is a replacement for Grealish.

However, we needed a more creativity in the team even if Grealish stayed. He hasn't.

Buendia is a great signing, but it again feels like we're one injury away from relying on one player to create everything.

Can't see it happening unless El Ghazi goes though.

Edited by jacketspuds