Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The news about JWP signing the new deal might have taken us all by surprise but I doubt very much it was remotely surprising to Villa, these things take time and I'm sure they will have known for a week or more that the discussions were taking place and he intended to sign.

The press are almost always totally out of step with these things, it seems certain like ESR that we were in for JWP but he would have been one of four or five players on a list. I would hope we've moved on to other targets.

For me a CM signing is essential, big couple of weeks.

The Ian Taylor tweet I find interesting. He very rarely comments like that and the use of the ellipsis, to me, suggest that he was a pawn in our game rather than JWP using us.

As you say, this idea that the club would be taken by surprise by the JWP deal is nonsense. They’d have known for a while and I like to think we’ve moved on to other targets. Personally, I’d like us to bring in 2 central midfielders and loan out Chuk+Ramsey and sell Nakamba.

Time to level up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The Ian Taylor tweet I find interesting. He very rarely comments like that and the use of the ellipsis, to me, suggest that he was a pawn in our game rather than JWP using us.

As you say, this idea that the club would be taken by surprise by the JWP deal is nonsense. They’d have known for a while and I like to think we’ve moved on to other targets. Personally, I’d like us to bring in 2 central midfielders and loan out Chuk+Ramsey and sell Nakamba.

Time to level up. 

Marcelo Brozovic!

23 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

What does it mean!?

It means we’ve been played by an agent to get a better deal for their player. His only doing his job but for the second time it seems, we’ve been used to get a player a hefty pay rise. Could say we have been a bit naive and it’s been a bit of a learning curve for Lange.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I try not to take notice of cryptic posts on Twitter even from former players.

I said at the start of the summer I felt we needed two CM's and that was before Grealish went, last season when Grealish played the midfield was okay because of his ability on the ball and how he controlled the pace of a game. When he was absent, frankly the midfield went to shit.

We needed to address this during this window and with Grealish going it has become even more important to address.

I have big reservations on Samson personally, I don't think Nakamba is good enough on the ball and I'm not all that convinced about Ramsey, he has ability but I think he needs to play regularly in the Championship for a year.

For me our midfield has a great bit Bissouma shaped hole in it, I've been desperate for us to land him but sadly we aren't even linked.

I don't personally think we can finish top 10 with our current options.

Firstly, be careful how loud you say this, you’ll be vilified if you so much as question the Sanson transfer. 

Secondly, I totally agree with what you’re saying re. the central midfield, Grealish and a top 10 finish. We needed two when Grealish was here, let alone now he isn’t. We have plenty of bodies in there but none of them are well rounded enough ability wise to help us push on to the next level. Your comment re. Bissouma is an interesting one too. Not because I desperately want us to sign him (I would still love us too) but if you watched him against us last season, you’d have noticed how he ran the show and dictated the pace of the entire game when he got on the ball. We don’t have anyone that can do that. We’re so rushed every time we get the ball in there because our players, sadly, aren’t good enough to dictate the tempo. 

Id still be very much hoping to spend 50/60m on two top midfielders and loaning out Chuk+Ramsey. As good as I think Carney will be, he probably isn’t quite there yet and 40 games in League 1/Championship will be much better for him than 5-10 games here. I’d try to move Nakamba on. 

Great post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Firstly, be careful how loud you say this, you’ll be vilified if you so much as question the Sanson transfer. 

Secondly, I totally agree with what you’re saying re. the central midfield, Grealish and a top 10 finish. We needed two when Grealish was here, let alone now he isn’t. We have plenty of bodies in there but none of them are well rounded enough ability wise to help us push on to the next level. Your comment re. Bissouma is an interesting one too. Not because I desperately want us to sign him (I would still love us too) but if you watched him against us last season, you’d have noticed how he ran the show and dictated the pace of the entire game when he got on the ball. We don’t have anyone that can do that. We’re so rushed every time we get the ball in there because our players, sadly, aren’t good enough to dictate the tempo. 

Id still be very much hoping to spend 50/60m on two top midfielders and loaning out Chuk+Ramsey. As good as I think Carney will be, he probably isn’t quite there yet and 40 games in League 1/Championship will be much better for him than 5-10 games here. I’d try to move Nakamba on. 

Great post.

Truth be told, I've frequently been critical on here of people prematurely judging players I've seen it so many times so I've sat on my hands re Samson but I just haven't seen anything from him. I could well be wrong but I suspect I won't be and that he will be off back to France in under 12 months, we shall see, I hope to be wrong.

Totally agree with your assessment re midfield. Bissouma is an excellent player, so so under rated and under the radar for a lot of people, he will go for big money at some point.

I think we need two, right now I'd just be relieved if we get one. I actually think Chuk will overtake Ramsey this season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WHY said:

It means we’ve been played by an agent to get a better deal for their player. His only doing his job but for the second time it seems, we’ve been used to get a player a hefty pay rise. Could say we have been a bit naive and it’s been a bit of a learning curve for Lange.

You post as if this is definitely what has happened. You have no evidence to back these claims up.

• Like 1

I wonder if we’ll move for Anguissa in the next week. Maybe we’re playing a bit of a waiting game as we know Fulham are likely to sell and we could get him on the relative cheap. Wouldn’t be as good as Bissouma, but I can’t see Brighton selling him to us. They don’t need the money after the White transfer either.

2 midfielders is the ideal scenario. An attacking midfielder similar to Smith Rowe would be good. I still feel like our midfield is not top half quality. Individually they very well could be. But I can’t see any combination of our current midfielders being able to control a game.

You've got the likes of Lewandowski available, and we're here chasing boring British players ffs. I really am starting to wonder about this board and management  ffs🤦🏿

FB_IMG_1629422388201.jpg

Quality reporting though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You've got the likes of Lewandowski available, and we're here chasing boring British players ffs. I really am starting to wonder about this board and management 🤦🏿

FB_IMG_1629422388201.jpg

I actually find Lewandowski really boring!

Some people keep mentioning (Premier League Experience). But what are we targeting exactly? El Ghazi, Trez even Nakambe can be considered players with Premier League experience. 

For me, I agree that it’s always easier to adapt, less risk. But that’s even with Championship experience. Watkins, McGinn, Konsa even Grealish to an extent. Targett, Cash, Mings to a certain point too, all of those had Championship experiences. 
Usually the best PL players won’t come to us, and if they did we’ll need to pay unbelievable figures. Even top teams are finding it hard to buy from the PL. That’s the main issue. We might find some good deals such as Ings, but normally you’ll either gamble on someone as Barkley, or someone as Luiz who didn’t have the chance with his team. 
Are we really in a position to pay 50m on JWP? He’s not our main priority anyway. We’ll still be short in DM or AM. 
We’re still developing as a team, without Grealish, I think it would take us 1-2 season more. So I’m not panicking, I think we’ll need to get the right targets and hope they’d be the next big thing. We have a good core, I don’t think if Sarr came, he’d be having the problems our players used to have when they first played together. 
We’ll still need some funds in the next couple of window. Our team still needs an upgrade. Who’ll keep it up? Who’ll improve this season? What will we exactly need next season? I don’t think it’s as easy as just get who’s available without looking at the future needs.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

You post as if this is definitely what has happened. You have no evidence to back these claims up.

You posted a tweet from Ian Taylor that said we “were a pawn in the game”  he then replied to someone with “we were” when asked if it was us or JWP who had been used. You are right though I have no evidence to suggest this is true. Hence why I put “it seems”. To be fair it’s not hard to read between the lines though.

Edited by WHY