Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

We still need an attacking midfielder, we've lost Barkley, Hourihane likely to leave, and Grealish the other player we used there also gone, McGinn can play furhter forward but he's not really a playmaker as such, I think it's probably why we were trying to sign Smith Rowe and I'd expect us to go for someone similar to him as an alternative, that Kamada looks good, seen a few people mention Van De Beek as well not sure if he'd be realistic...

Just now, allani said:

Me too.  We've disagreed on a few things recently but I can't see how anyone can be disappointed with our attacking signings so far:

Emiliano Buendia - 236 matches, 41 goals, 56 assists
Leon Bailey - 233 matches, 54 goals, 47 assists
Danny Ings - 297 matches, 106 goals, 29 assists

For those struggling with the maths those three players have contributed 201 goals and 132 assists (so 333 goal contributions) in 766 matches or 0.43 goal contributions per match before you even look at the other 7 outfield players on the bench.  If you just take last season it is 43 goals, 32 assists in 114 matches or 0.66 goal contributions per match.  Even if you take the pessimistic view and say that Emi was playing in a lower division - his stats from the season before in terms of chances created were staggering.  Ollie made the step up last season and Emi has played at this level before.  So I would be very surprised if his goal contributions are not more similar to last season than the season before.  I think you can easily argue that all three are now playing in a better team and so are more likely to get more chances than before.

I would like to see a bit more steel in midfield now (assuming that AT is arriving on loan to add depth to our defensive line) because even though our front 4 all work and press hard, I am worried that McGinn, and Dougie might get over-run.  Would be an amazing summer if we ended up that one or both of them mainly started from the bench - especially considering the vast improvement ahead of them.

Emi in his last season in the premier league pretty much matched Jack's attacking output alone, add Ings and Bailey and we are already stronger.  

We may sell Luiz to Roma for £25m so can see two new midfielders coming in if we do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Same for a lot/most of teams but its down to each club to think about this and get the best start possible.  I suspect how we integrate the players into a system is already in progress.

Different AVFC these days.  Everything that can be done is being done I suspect.  Last few day's amazing and as a club,  how we have handled it.  10/10.

Agreed.  Also important to remember that the new signings are all improvements on decent options.  So Dean has the opportunity to bed them in (relatively) slowly.  It's not like 2 seasons ago when we had to change most of the team because the incumbents were either ****, too old or both.  Young and Emi have been here most of the pre-season.  Ings has moved before and I think fits into our style pretty seamlessly.  Bailey is the only real unknown but we can easily start with Bertie whilst he is finding his feet and not be a much worse team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Emi in his last season in the premier league pretty much matched Jack's attacking output alone, add Ings and Bailey and we are already stronger.  

We may sell Luiz to Roma for £25m so can see two new midfielders coming in if we do.

Emi had 1 goal and 7 assists that season. Still quite a bit far from Jack's 6 goals and 10 assists.

3 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

I have a feeling that if he goes Doug will be one of those "I can't believe we let him go" types.  I just think that in the right set-up and with the right partner(s) he could be an awesome player.  His ceiling is, in my opinion, considerably higher than McGinn's.  That said I can see McGinn's character and experience being really useful this season and, as much as I think he has limitations as a player, his off-field contribution is huge.  I'd love McGinn to be coming on after 60 minutes and just being on turbo charge for 30 minutes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Emi had 1 goal and 7 assists that season. Still quite a bit far from Jack's 6 goals and 10 assists.

If you look at chances created I think it is similar.  Not Emi's fault if he lays on the perfect pass and his team mate smashes it into Row X.  I think the number of assists he gets this season will be well over double that - he's now feeding Ings and Watkins.  Two of the best 5 English strikers in the business.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Talking more about chances created, I think it went KDB, Emi, Jack.  Not his fault he was setting up Pukki and not Aguero.   

5 minutes ago, allani said:

I have a feeling that if he goes Doug will be one of those "I can't believe we let him go" types.  I just think that in the right set-up and with the right partner(s) he could be an awesome player.  His ceiling is, in my opinion, considerably higher than McGinn's.  That said I can see McGinn's character and experience being really useful this season and, as much as I think he has limitations as a player, his off-field contribution is huge.  I'd love McGinn to be coming on after 60 minutes and just being on turbo charge for 30 minutes.

I like Luiz but think we can get better, sell Luiz for £25m and buy Bissouma for £35-40m for example.  Alternatively, someone like Denis Zakaria or even push the boat out and go for Camavinga.

TRANSLATION:

Aston Villa asks Barcelona about Clement Lenglet

➡️ Villains need a top-notch center-back. They will use the money from the sale of Jack Grealish to reinforce their workforce.

a long shot and an odd source, probably nonsense, but after this transfer window who the F knows anymore!?

Ahhh...the midfield conundrum. That annoying, pesky friend that just wont go away. You get a load of new friends and think that all is great but that other one knows lots of dirty secrets about you and how weak you can be..and this would ruin everything for all of your new, shiny friends. Let's embrace that friend, keep him close, sort out and resolve what problems we have with him and harmony will be restored......

For the love of God.....sign a CDM, Dean!!

Edited by eholm
  • Like 1

Just now, eholm said:

Ahhh...the midfield conundrum. That annoying, pesky friend that just wont go away. You get a load of new friends and think that all is great but that other one knows lots of dirty secrets about you and how weak you can be..and this would ruin everything for all of your new, shiny friends. Let's embrace that friend, keep him close, sort out and resolve what problems we have with him and harmony will be restored......

For the love og God.....sign a CDM, Dean!!

We don't need one. Our form was great without Barkley running around doing fark all. Nakamba did great if we want to play a DCM